United Indonesia - Manchester United Indonesia Supporters Club

United Indonesia - Manchester United Indonesia Supporters Club (http://www.unitedindonesia.org/forum/index.php)
-   Ex United (http://www.unitedindonesia.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   [Legend] Sammy McIlroy (http://www.unitedindonesia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=941)

rondwisan 02-10-2009 08:38 AM

[Legend] Sammy McIlroy

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/a...mmymcilroy.jpg

SAMMY McILROY
ManUtd.com

Debuts don't come much more unnerving than the Manchester derby, but the 17 year-old Sammy McIlroy came through his baptism of fire with flying colours – scoring once and assisting twice at Maine Road to instantly endear himself to the United faithful.

The Northern Irish winger was Matt Busby’s final signing at Old Trafford, penning amateur forms with United in August 1969. He turned professional two years later before his derby bow on November 6, 1971.

His emphatic entrance to the first-team setup didn’t seal a regular starting berth, and McIlroy largely remained a substitute for the next year.

Seriously injured in a car accident in January 1973, he fought his way back into the team against all odds the following season to earn himself a regular place in the starting line-up.

That season ended with the gloom of relegation, but McIlroy was a permanent and crucial fixture in the side that secured an instant return to the top flight. His domestic importance was matched on the international scene, and he went on to win 88 caps for Northern Ireland.

Sammy remained an integral part of the Reds side which went to Wembley three times in four years in the late 1970s. He tasted heartbreak in the 1976 and 1979 defeats to Southampton and Arsenal, although he did score a fine equaliser in the latter final. That disappointment sandwiched United’s 2-1 win over Liverpool in 1977, the only major honour of Sammy’s 11-year Reds career.

Ron Atkinson sold McIlroy to Stoke City for £350,000 in 1982. Three years later he moved back to Manchester to join City on a free transfer before moving into management.

Spells with Northwich Victoria, Ashton United and Macclesfield Town preceded the role of Northern Ireland boss, before Sammy took over at Stockport County.

In 2005/06 he was appointed caretaker and then permanent manager at Nationwide Conference club Morecambe.

rondwisan 02-10-2009 08:44 AM

Re: [Legend] Sammy McIlroy

01/10/2009 10:46 - ManUtd.com, Adam Bostock
McIlroy on the spot

http://picsrv.manutd.com/?fif=/manu/...45042&cvt=jpeg

Reds legend Sammy McIlroy answers questions posted at manutd.com/talkingreds...

What or who inspired you to play for United? from Zonqor
That’s an easy one - George Best. When I was growing up in Belfast in the 1960s, he was just coming onto the scene at United. He was a fantastic footballer. All the young kids in the street wanted to try and copy what George was doing with the ball and I was no different. He was a great influence on me supporting and wanting to play for United.

What gave you the greatest pleasure, winning at Wembley with Morecambe in 2007 or doing it with United in 1977? from Wayne Theobald
It was absolutely fantastic to win the Conference play-off final and take Morecambe into the Football League as their manager. Then I cast my mind back to winning the 1977 FA Cup final as a United player – also fantastic, because we beat a great Liverpool side and stopped them doing the Treble. Choosing between the two experiences is very difficult.

If you could sign one United player from the past and one from the present for Morecambe (my home-town team), who would you pick? from Carole (dono2)
That's a hard one! I’m leaving out many fantastic players of course, but if I can only pick two, it would be Best and Wayne Rooney. Wayne is a brilliant player and I love his energy and his enthusiasm. He’s still only young and I’m sure he’s going to go on and be one of the greatest players United have ever had.

You started off as a striker but then became a midfielder for United. How did the transition work for you and what were the reasons behind it? from Himann
I came into the side as a striker under Sir Matt Busby and then Frank O’Farrell. I also played up front in Tommy Docherty’s early days when I had a great understanding with Stuart Pearson. Then we signed Jimmy Greenhoff from Stoke City and the Doc moved me into midfield when Gerry Daly left the club. I enjoyed it there because I was more involved in the game and I was lucky enough to have the fitness I needed to get up and down the pitch.

What was the best thing about being a pro footballer in the 1970s? from Pugan Raul
People talk about the money that top players are on today and it bears no comparison to our era, although we were still on decent wages compared to the working public. I thought it was a fantastic time to play football in the 1970s, especially at United. I was lucky enough to be at United for 13 years and to have a great rapport with the fans. The club was beginning to attract a worldwide following and it was great to be around at that time.

Who was your best friend in the squad during your United days? from Sacha Red Devil
We all got on well together as a squad but my closest friends were probably Jimmy Nicholl, David McCreery, Arthur Albiston and Brian Greenhoff.

Who was the toughest defender you played against and why? from Riad Rahamatullah
I was lucky enough - if you can call it lucky - to have played against the infamous hard men like Ron ‘Chopper’ Harris, Norman Hunter and Tommy Smith, all at the latter stages of their careers. But I’d say it was a player called Kevin Beattie from Ipswich. He was a fantastic defender, great in the air and strong as an ox. Had an injury not curtailed his career, I’m sure he would have gone on to win a record number of caps for England.

rondwisan 02-10-2009 08:48 AM

.............. lanjut

Do you think Mark Hughes, my favourite United player of all time, is good enough to succeed Sir Alex? Will the fact he’s at City be a problem? from Kilkenny man
I think we should forget about the United-City issue because there have been many men over the years who’ve been at both clubs like Denis Law, Brian Kidd, John Gidman and myself. What United fans want is a manager who can come and continue what Sir Alex has done. That’s going to be an unbelievable task. Mark Hughes is in a situation now where he’s got the funds to have a go at winning the league. If he’s successful at City, and he takes them into Europe, then he could be an option as I think you need European experience to be the next United manager. It is possible, it all depends on how successful he is at City.

Following Cristiano Ronaldo's departure, I would love to see Nani step up to the plate. Do you think he has what it takes? from rr united
Nani’s a fantastically skilful player but I think he needs to have a more regular spot in the side to get the best out of him. There’s no doubt the ability’s there and I’m sure we’ll see more of that if he has a run of games. But I think it’s unfair to try and put him in Ronaldo’s shoes because, like George Best, he’s a one-off.

What was the difference between playing for United and City? from Matt Cornejo
It was a massive difference. Some City fans didn’t take to me as the last of the Busby Babes to come through at United. I also had an unfortunate time with an Achilles injury, I ended up having three operations and the City fans didn’t see the best of me. Playing for United had always been my dream, they were the happiest 13 years of my career as a player.

Coming from the home of the great Georgie Best, did you feel any added pressure when you first broke into Sir Matt's first team? from Nathan Scholes
No, although you can understand why people wondered if I’d be “the next George Best”, being a young boy who came out of Northern Ireland and into the United team. But my father and other people around me kept my feet firmly on the ground, reminding me there could only be one George Best and encouraging me to be my own man. There was no way I would ever think of myself in that mould anyway because Best, for me, was the greatest player in the world and no-one could touch him. I just wanted to get on with my own career.

Do you think Steve Coppell would have been one of the best midfielders of all time if it hadn't been for the injury that cut his career short? from Cyprus Red Devil
We had two wingers in those days – Steve Coppell and Gordon Hill, and they were opposites in terms of their approach. Gordon was flamboyant and would score goals from all angles with his fantastic left foot. Stevie would work up and down the line like a Trojan, his fitness level was fantastic. Had it not been for that knee injury, I’m sure he would have had a long and rewarding career. He was great to play with and a fantastic lad.

The 1977 team had class, flair and great attacking skill. Do you share my belief that you would have won the title had the Doc not been sacked? from Ernie Bernady, Luxembourg
That’s a great question. That was a fantastic side to play in and I think the Doc was going to add some players to the squad after we won the FA Cup in 1977. Unfortunately it’s only ifs and buts now but I do believe that team, if the squad had been strengthened in a couple of areas, could have made a real challenge for the league title. I think all the players were shocked when the Doc was sacked but it was an embarrassing situation because Laurie Brown, a great fella, also worked with us as our physio. (Docherty was having an affair with Brown's wife). Something had to be done and unfortunately the Doc lost his job.

What do you say to the kids who dream night and day of playing for United? from Cashs29
I dreamed of playing for United and was fortunate enough to make it happen. If the kids out there have the will and the dedication, and they listen to their coaches, then maybe their dream will come true. They’ll be very, very lucky boys if it does happen because there are so many who never get the chance. But if they do get the chance, I’d say grasp it and enjoy it because it’s a fantastic club to play for.

Andi Istiabudi 26-04-2016 08:47 PM

http://www.manutd.com/sitecore/shell...n=0,0,1280,721

REDS LEGEND ON ROONEY'S NEW ROLE

Manchester United legend Sammy McIlroy analysed Wayne Rooney's position and performance at Wembley when he joined Helen Evans on MUTV for Monday night's Big Match Debrief.

The two compatriots from Northern Ireland discussed the action that unfurled during Saturday’s Emirates FA Cup semi-final triumph and, in our video clip above, focused on Rooney’s deeper midfield role.

Assessing why Louis van Gaal had not deployed his captain in attack, Sammy stated: "You can’t drop the young boy [Marcus Rashford] with the goals he's scored and the way he's playing."

Rooney therefore sat deeper in the side and former midfielder McIlroy, who won three of his four FA Cup semi-finals for United, feels it's a role the skipper "will really enjoy playing."

The Reds legend added: "We've seen spells of Wayne playing deep before but Saturday's performance from our leader was concrete. His energy, for a player who's been out for such a long time, was fantastic."

http://www.manutd.com/

zudomiriku 11-12-2020 09:22 AM

'I'm the last Busby babe... when I signed for City, the fans booed me in the warm up!': Sammy McIlroy talks crossing the Manchester divide, walking off a team flight at United and how he cheated death while on his way to get a fish and chips

* Sammy McIlroy has reflected on his career that saw him play for City and United
* He spoke about being booed by Man City fans despite scoring on his debut
* The Northern Irishman is a popular figure at Old Trafford's match-day lounges
* He'll be behind the Red Devils during the Manchester Derby on Saturday
* McIlroy, Sir Matt Busby's last signing, joined at a difficult time for Man United
* He said he knew his time was up after walking off a team flight to Kuala Lumpur
* The ex-forward also looked back on a traumatic car crash with his wife in 1973

Sammy McIlroy tells two rather traumatic stories about going out to get fish and chips.

The first ended with the late Brian Greenhoff, his friend and team-mate, having a gun pulled on him in a Sydney chippy while they were on tour in 1975 after helping Manchester United win promotion back to the top flight.

‘The hotel reception recommended it and I said to Brian, “You go”,’ recalled McIlroy. ‘He ran back to the room white as a ghost.’

https://i.postimg.cc/GhmQb7C6/366937...7623109609.jpg
Former Man United and City forward Sammy McIlroy has reflected on his eventful career

Greenhoff escaped injury that night but McIlroy was not so lucky when he drove his pregnant wife-to-be Cynthia to pick up a supper in Stretford two years earlier.

Their car was hit with such force that a fire crew had to cut them out of the wreckage. McIlroy, just 18 at the time, bore the brunt of the impact.

‘Cynthia told me that when the fire brigade and ambulance arrived she heard one of the people say, “Make sure she’s all right, forget about him”. They actually thought I was dead,’ said McIlroy, who suffered a collapsed lung, four broken ribs and head wounds.

‘I was in a coma for a few days. The doctor told me afterwards it was my fitness that pulled me through. Luckily everything was all right and my son Sammy was born. In hospital, I read about Tommy Docherty bringing in players left, right and centre. I was thinking that could be the end of me at United.’

The Northern Irishman ended up spending 13 years at Old Trafford. He made a goalscoring debut in the Manchester derby and later had an unhappy season at City — No 4 on the list of only 14 players to represent both clubs post-war.

https://i.postimg.cc/HsvtnwWn/366937...7623237916.jpg
The Northern Irishman spent 13 years at Old Trafford but his introduction came at a tough time

Now 66, the divorced father of three (he also has two daughters, Louise and Faye, as well as son Sammy) has become a popular figure in the match-day lounges at Old Trafford in recent years. He plays for United’s veterans team too, so no guessing where his loyalties will lie in Saturday's 183rd Manchester derby.

McIlroy was the last of the Busby Babes. The final signing made by United’s legendary manager before Sir Matt stepped down in 1969.

He got to follow his hero George Best from Belfast to Old Trafford, but his timing was out.

A team that had lifted the European Cup a year earlier were about to hit a downward spiral that would end in the unthinkable: relegation to the Second Division.

https://i.postimg.cc/N0m8dZ62/366939...7623310052.jpg
McIlroy (third from left) was the last signing of Sir Matt Busby (L) before the legendary boss stepped down in 1969

At first, McIlroy suffered from chronic homesickness that was only made worse by having to leave his parents in East Belfast with the city under curfew at the height of The Troubles.

‘Vigilantes protecting the streets were knocking on people’s doors to get the men to walk with them. My dad actually turned them down which was probably not the right thing to do,’ said McIlroy who made his Northern Ireland debut in Hull because their opponents Spain would not risk travelling to Belfast.

‘I had some friends who lost their lives getting involved in shootings. When your parents are involved you think anything can happen with stray bullets flying.

‘Manchester United were great with that because they got my mum and dad out of there.’

McIlroy made his senior debut against City at the age of 17, although he headed to the club on a bus that day thinking he was going to help collect the dirty kit. Instead, he was a late replacement for the injured Denis Law. He scored in a 3-3 draw at Maine Road and in the next three games as well.

However, United’s European Cup-winning team was breaking up and Best was going AWOL.

‘When you win the European Cup and Sir Matt calls it a day, it’s very difficult,’ said McIlroy. ‘It was a no-win situation for Wilf McGuinness taking over.

‘There were some fantastic players coming to the twilight of their careers, all these superstars we had. When you think of the likes of Paddy Crerand, Bobby Charlton was in his 30s, Denis Law had a few injuries. How can you get people to match them?

‘Once those players drifted away and Bestie started going a wee bit wayward, everything went downhill.

https://i.postimg.cc/QCXq9SW9/366937...7623332169.jpg
McIlroy was lucky to survive a horrific car crash in 1973 and escaped with four broken ribs

‘It upset the senior players with what was happening to George. Everyone wanted him in the team because he could win a game with a bit of magic. But I think he got the hump because the club weren’t trying to rebuild around him.’

McGuinness was swiftly replaced as manager by Frank O’Farrell and then it was Docherty’s turn in the hot seat.

He could not avoid relegation in April 1974 when a crestfallen Law backheeled Manchester City to victory against his old club as Birmingham’s win over Norwich condemned United to the drop.

Referee David Smith ended the game after fans invaded the Old Trafford pitch for a second time.

‘Denis didn’t send us down, results went against us anyway,’ said McIlroy. ‘But once Denis walked off that was the end for the fans. Bang. We’d gone. It was the quietest dressing room I’ve ever been in. People with their heads in their hands realising that the great Manchester United — European champions six years ago — were now in the Second Division.

https://i.postimg.cc/FRXpmhrx/366937...7623417100.jpg https://i.postimg.cc/wjPFfhnZ/366937...7623412001.jpg
[/size]He played 419 games for United before joining City (right) but was not well received by fans

‘It was unbelievably painful. Embarrassing. An absolute nightmare for any United player. People asked what was going on and I had no answer.’

McIlroy went on holiday with Greenhoff and their families and was left in no doubt how the fans felt. ‘People say things when they’ve got drink in them. Relegation was hard to take.’

He remembers the pleasure other clubs took at seeing United humbled and being spat at when they faced a hostile reception at away grounds the following season.

‘We were there to be got at it in the Second Division,’ he said. ‘It used to be difficult getting on to the bus. There was a hell of a lot of abuse and sometimes it was very scary.’

Relegation provided the impetus for United’s revival under Docherty. They swept to the Division Two title, entertaining packed stadiums up and down the country.

‘That was the turning point for Manchester United to become great again. Even fans now talk about those days,’ said McIlroy.

https://i.postimg.cc/zv0FnWnd/366937...7624246961.jpg
Now 66, McIlroy feels his time at United ended after walking off a flight for a tour to Malaysia. He admitted he has 'made some bad decisions' in his career and wishes he managed for longer

He established himself at the heart of a vibrant attacking team featuring Gordon Hill, Steve Coppell, Lou Macari, Stuart Pearson and Jimmy Greenhoff that reached the FA Cup final three times in four years.

United bounced back from an upset at the hands of Second Division Southampton in 1976 to beat favourites Liverpool the following year, but McIlroy’s late equaliser could not prevent another heartbreaking defeat to Arsenal in 1979.

‘We were a cracking cup side,’ he said. ‘Every professional footballer wanted to play in the Cup final at Wembley and we were lucky enough to do it three times.’

McIlroy believes Docherty could have enjoyed greater success in time, but the Scot was sacked in 1977 over an affair with the wife of United physio Laurie Brown.

There is no shortage of stories about The Doc.

https://i.postimg.cc/PxHW9Ky3/366979...7632041169.jpg

McIlroy remembers going to a youth team tournament with United in Switzerland soon after recovering from his car accident and getting drunk on three halves of lager. ‘They told me on the bus to the airport that the boss had spiked my drinks!’

One journey on the team coach saw Docherty go berserk after the players locked him in the cramped toilet. Another saw the manager threaten to throw Gerry Daly off the coach somewhere in Yorkshire until he sang The Boxer by Simon and Garfunkel.

Docherty was succeeded by the more pragmatic Dave Sexton and then the equally colourful Ron Atkinson.

People think McIlroy’s time at United was up once Atkinson signed Bryan Robson, but he blames it on his decision to walk off a team flight to Kuala Lumpur as it was about to depart.

‘Biggest mistake of my life,’ admits McIlroy, who had been delayed at Heathrow for five hours on the way back from a World Cup qualifier in Sweden and wanted to spend a night with his family before flying long-haul to Malaysia.

‘I just couldn’t face it. Big Ron held it against me and rightly so. I was wrong. He said, “No one walks off a plane at Manchester” and fined me two weeks’ wages.

‘I scored a hat-trick against Wolves on the day Bryan was signed on the pitch at Old Trafford and I could have played on the left side of him. Ron hinted at that. But not long after he called me in and asked me how much I thought I was worth. Stoke had made a club-record bid of £350,000. It knocked me for six. My pride was hurt and I signed for Stoke.

‘Two days later Howard Kendall phoned me and asked why I didn’t speak to him. Nobody told me that Everton, who were fantastic in the mid-80s, had come in for me. I held that grudge for a number of years.’

McIlroy left United after playing 419 times and scoring 71 goals for the club. He returned to Manchester for one season at City but it did not work out. He was hindered by achilles problems and their fans could not forget his past.

https://i.postimg.cc/kgVvb2Dc/366943...7624322892.jpg
McIlroy (R) sent Morecambe into the Football League but hasn't coached since leaving in 2011

‘I used to get “the last Busby Babe this and that, get back to United”. I got booed in the warm-up,’ he said.

‘Even though I scored on my debut, a section of the fans just didn’t take to me. I played in a derby against United at Maine Road and I got a better reception off the United fans than I did off City, so I knew the writing was on the wall.’

McIlroy played in Sweden and Austria before finishing his career in the lower divisions around the north-west of England.

He won 89 caps for Northern Ireland, appearing in the 1982 World Cup in Spain and captaining Billy Bingham’s team in the 1986 tournament in Mexico.

McIlroy also managed his country and achieved success at club level, guiding both Macclesfield Town and Morecambe into the Football League.

When he decided to leave Morecambe in 2011, he was 55 and has not worked in management since. Did he have more to give?

‘One hundred per cent,’ he said. ‘I definitely left too soon and that is a big regret. I’ve made some bad decisions in my career.’

Code:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9040479/Former-City-United-star-Sammy-McIlroy-talks-crossing-Manchester-divide-cheating-death.html