View Single Post
Old 18-09-2019, 10:09 AM   #148
zudomiriku

Thanked 1,785 Times in 921 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
zudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: USA & North America Football

'I feel they deserve to get more money': Wayne Rooney believes that American players in the MLS are UNDERPAID and former Manchester United and England striker has urged the league to change salary cap

* Wayne Rooney feels American players in Major League Soccer are underpaid
* The DC United striker wants the league to do more to remunerate the players
* Rooney is in his final season in the MLS before leaving to join Derby County

Wayne Rooney has called on Major League Soccer to reach a fairer agreement over the salaries of American players in the league.

The former Manchester United and England striker, currently at DC United, feels salary cap restrictions have left US players in the league seriously underpaid.

The MLS is heading towards fresh negotiations over a collective bargaining agreement this winter to tackle the topical issue of low salaries.

Wayne Rooney says that American players in the MLS are underpaid under current salary caps. The DC United forward thinks it is 'only fair' for the league to try and find a solution on salaries

Quote:
AVERAGE SALARIES IN LEAGUES PER WEEK

MLS (USA)- £5,159

Premier League (England) - £57,514

La Liga (Spain) - £42,328

Serie A (Italy) - £29,229

Ligue 1 (France) - £19,034

Figures provided by Sporting Intelligence
While Rooney is in his final season in the MLS, after agreeing to join Championship side Derby County in the new year, he is determined to use his voice for change before he departs.

'I feel that American players get underpaid,' Rooney told ESPN.

'I feel they deserve to get more money to stay in line with football in the rest of the world but also in terms of the American sports.

'I'm not saying it to benefit me, I obviously won't be in the league next season. I think it's only fair to those players who are putting in the same work as all have to earn the right to earn more money for doing it.'

The MLS' current 'collective bargaining agreement' expires on January 31, 2020 and players have previously raised the possibility of striking if a number of outstanding issues are not resolved.

Rooney has scored 23 goals in 45 MLS games, but will leave at the end of the current season.

Code:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7472077/Wayne-Rooney-believes-American-players-MLS-UNDERPAID.html