View Single Post
Old 24-08-2014, 04:46 AM   #2
rondwisan

Thanked 4,736 Times in 2,701 Posts
Mentioned: 567 Post(s)
rondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond repute
Visit rondwisan's Facebook Visit rondwisan's Twitter
Default Re: Faustino Marcos Alberto Rojo

Welcome to Old Trafford Marcos Rojo.
#ROJOisRed

22/08/2014 16:30 - ManUtd.com, Ryan Grant
Rojo honoured to join United

New signing Marcos Rojo has expressed his delight at joining Manchester United and insists it will be a "great honour" to pull on the club's famous red shirt this season.

The Argentinian defender was officially unveiled as a United player at the Aon Training Complex on Friday following his £16 million switch from Sporting Lisbon earlier this week and has vowed to give his all to the team.

“Thank you for the welcome, I’m very happy to be here at the biggest club in the world," Rojo told reporters. "It’s a great honour and I’m very pleased to be here, I’ll do the best I can for the club. The transfer was a bit of a long and complicated process, but the most important thing is that I am here now, and I’m very happy.

“For me, this is certainly the biggest league in the world. I always watched it when I was younger, and an important aspect is that there are many young players who come here to the Premier League to improve their game, and I hope I can now do the same.

“I have received messages from all of Manchester City’s Argentine players, congratulating me on the move and welcoming me to Manchester, we know each other outside of football and have been in contact."

Rojo came up against United boss Louis van Gaal earlier this summer, as he helped Argentina to a first World Cup final appearance for 24 years. Interestingly, van Gaal admits he had been tracking the defender's performances in Brazil and believes he has the necessary attributes to succeed at Old Trafford.

“I faced him in the World Cup when we came up against Argentina, so I have had a chance to analyse him," the boss explained. "It is my philosophy to only buy players who fit the profile, and I think Marcos fits the profile as a left-sided central defender, as well as a left wing-back. He played as a left wing-back for Argentina at the World Cup, but as a centre-back at Sporting Lisbon. He was fantastic at the World Cup so I’m very pleased.

“First of all, he needs to have good spatial awareness on the pitch because we are defending spaces, that is the first thing I said to him. He also has to be a good header of the ball because teams in this league like to play long balls from the back.*

"His build-up play has to be good, but I liked the way he played in World Cup. He’ll need to be aggressive at the right moments though, that is possibly my only criticism. He has to control himself at all times in order to improve, and maybe I can help him.”
rondwisan is offline   Reply With Quote