View Single Post
Old 16-08-2017, 08:09 AM   #6
Andi Istiabudi
manager

Thanked 2,334 Times in 1,748 Posts
Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Andi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to behold

Default Re: Demetri Mitchell

MITCHELL AIMS TO SHOW RESERVES LEADERSHIP

Manchester United full-back Demi Mitchell says what he learnt in pre-season with the first-team helped him on the pitch as he fired the Reserves to a 1-0 win over Leicester City in their Premier League 2 opener on Monday afternoon.

Mitchell scored the only goal of the game at Leicester’s Belvoir Drive Training Ground as he curled home a direct free-kick in the 62nd minute to hand Ricky Sbragia’s side all three points.

The 20-year-old then spoke exclusively to MUTV about his experiences during Tour 2017, presented by Aon, and the new heightened sense of responsibility he feels when playing for the Reserves.

“Tour was really good, I learned a lot and it was a really good experience to be with the first-team,” Demi said. “And now coming back [into the Reserves], I have to show leadership, because coming back into this team I’m one of the older ones rather than one of the younger ones.

“It’s a physical step up from the Under-18s, so it’s really important to help the younger lads along the way, and it’s important that they learn quickly.”

Against Leicester, Mitchell had seen an earlier free-kick saved, so he was delighted to have the chance to take another one and score.

“I had one in the first-half that I lined up,” he added. “But it was a bit far out and I didn’t quite bend it wide enough.

“With the second one there was a wall, and I’ve been practising getting it up and over in training, so I thought ‘go for it’ and it came off.”

New Reserves boss Sbragia, who was taking charge of his first competitive game since rejoining the club this summer, was delighted with his side’s performance and with Mitchell in particular.

“It was a very difficult game and a physical challenge,” Sbragia said. “But credit to the players – I thought they were outstanding. They met the challenge and in the first half we were far better. “[Demi] deserved his goal because he put in a shift both ways – offensively and defensively. He was confident about taking it, which was the great thing, set-plays are down to Scott [McTominay] and Demi, so credit to him and it was a great goal.”

www.manutd.com
Andi Istiabudi is offline   Reply With Quote