Thread: Michael Carrick
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2009, 08:43 AM   #12
drivemein
first team

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
drivemein is just really nicedrivemein is just really nicedrivemein is just really nicedrivemein is just really nice
Default Re: Michael Carrick

Carrick: Big game at Stamford Bridge

Manchester United midfielder Michael Carrick wants to put down a marker at Stamford Bridge next Sunday.

He is determined they will not fall victim to Chelsea the way they did at Liverpool.

United returned to winning ways in the Premier League after their Anfield setback by defeating Blackburn 2-0, thanks to goals from Dimitar Berbatov and Wayne Rooney.

Carrick said: "It is always a big game at Stamford Bridge, no matter what the occasion is.

"When it is tight at the top like it is, after the defeat to Liverpool we do not want to lose track on the big teams and it will be an important game for us.

"At this stage of the season it is just about accumulating points and seeing where you are in the later stages.

"The table is changing week in, week out but after Christmas things tend to settle down a bit.

"Then maybe you get one or two that pull away - and hopefully we will included in that. You've just got to believe in yourself and if you do, anything can happen."

Before the Chelsea date, United could take another step to qualifying for the next stage of the Champions League.

They are aiming for a fourth straight win on Tuesday when CSKA Moscow arrive at Old Trafford.

United are in good heart after beating Blackburn with Berbatov opening the scoring in the 55th minute with a superb turn and shot.

However it wasn't until two minutes from time that Rooney made the game safe with his eighth goal of the season - a sweet finish.

Carrick said: "We always believe we can create a chance that we can score from. Thankfully Berba did that with a terrific finish.

"It was a tremendous volley. We have seen him do it before and hopefully we will see him do it many times again.

"That is what he is all about, he uses his quality in the final third and he maybe could have had one or two more today."

Former Bordeaux winger Gabriel Obertan should have marked his league debut by finding the target but squandered two gilt-edged chances.

Obertan, now fully recovered from a nagging back injury, was one on one with Paul Robinson but saw his weak shot blocked by the goalkeeper.

Then the 20-year-old found himself clear yards from goal following a square ball from Antonio Valencia, only to find the wrong side of the post.

Obertan felt his lack of match sharpness contributed to him not taking advantage of the opportunities.

He said: "I was a bit disappointed but I have been injured for four months. I think it was a good debut, I ran hard and tried to do my best.

"I was a bit nervous but I really enjoyed the game, everyone was behind me and encouraging me, so that was good.

"I need a bit of rhythm, a few games to be fully fit. I think I will be better after a few matches."

Blackburn have now suffered 10 straight defeats on the road and manager Sam Allardyce is looking forward to returning to Ewood Park on Saturday.

However he believes it will be a crucial test against a Portsmouth side, showing signs of recovery after a terrible start.

Allardyce said: "It is a massive game and there is huge pressure on us now.

"We do not want to start slipping after 10 games. We need to show our ability in the next month to get away from the relegation zone."

Blackburn found the net on the stroke of full time through substitute Nikola Kalinic only for his effort to be disallowed, a decision Allardyce found baffling.

He added: "This is so far onside, it is not a close one. It should have been given. With four minutes to go who knows what might have happened."

Last edited by drivemein; 02-11-2009 at 08:48 AM..
drivemein is offline   Reply With Quote