View Single Post
Old 07-10-2014, 09:04 AM   #3
troy andreas

Thanked 1,947 Times in 1,102 Posts
Mentioned: 273 Post(s)
troy andreas has a brilliant futuretroy andreas has a brilliant futuretroy andreas has a brilliant futuretroy andreas has a brilliant futuretroy andreas has a brilliant futuretroy andreas has a brilliant futuretroy andreas has a brilliant futuretroy andreas has a brilliant futuretroy andreas has a brilliant futuretroy andreas has a brilliant futuretroy andreas has a brilliant future

Visit troy andreas's Twitter
Default Re: The story of Roy Keane, based on his autobiography

Roy Keane: Sir Alex Ferguson wanted me to wear No 7 shirt instead of David Beckham
By JAMES ANDREW FOR MAILONLINE

• Sir Alex Ferguson did his best to stop David Beckham inheriting the iconic No 7 shirt after Eric Cantona retired
  • Keane inherited the United captaincy from the Frenchman, and reveals in his new autobiography The Second Half, that United boss Ferguson wanted him to take the No 7 shirt as well to stop Beckham getting it
  • Keane didn't want it and told Ferguson to give the No 7 shirt to Beckham

Sir Alex Ferguson did his best to stop David Beckham inheriting the iconic No 7 shirt at Manchester United after Eric Cantona retired, according to Roy Keane.

Cantona shocked Manchester United when he quit the club and football altogether in 1997 and had worn the famous No 7 shirt since his arrival back in 1992.

Keane inherited the United captaincy from the Frenchman, and the former midfielder reveals in his new autobiography The Second Half, that United boss Ferguson wanted him to take the No 7 shirt as well to stop Beckham getting it.

Keane refused and Beckham, who had worn the No 10 shirt the season before, did take over the No 7 shirt which had previously been worn by George Best, Steve Coppell and Bryan Robson.

Keane said: 'The captaincy is important, but squad numbers can have an importance. At United, ‘7’ was the iconic number.

‘When Eric Cantona left there was a debate about who was going to be the next captain. I was quite relaxed about it.

‘But there was his number, too - '7'. Bryan Robson had had it before Cantona and, of course, it went back to Georgie Best.

‘The manager pulled me into his office and said that he wanted me to wear the '7'.

'I said, ‘No, I’m not that bothered.'

'And he said, "I know Becks will f****** want it and I don’t want him to have it."

‘The little power battles.

‘I’d had ‘16’ since I’d signed for the club. I was comfortable with ‘16’. I think it might have kept me on my toes, being outside the ‘1’ to ‘11’. I didn’t think that I was a number ‘7’.

‘I said, ‘Give it to Becks.’

‘Becks got it, and it suited him - and Cantona. Ronaldo had it after Becks.’

HTML Code:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2782987/Roy-Keane-Sir-Alex-Ferguson-wanted-wear-No-7-shirt-instead-David-Beckham.html#ixzz3FQ80tRyo

"setial masa ada orangnya, setiap orang ada masanya."
troy andreas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troy andreas For This Useful Post: