View Single Post
Old 02-07-2016, 03:38 AM   #5
penk22_
Divisi IT

Thanked 1,066 Times in 595 Posts
Mentioned: 558 Post(s)
penk22_ has a reputation beyond reputepenk22_ has a reputation beyond reputepenk22_ has a reputation beyond reputepenk22_ has a reputation beyond reputepenk22_ has a reputation beyond reputepenk22_ has a reputation beyond reputepenk22_ has a reputation beyond reputepenk22_ has a reputation beyond reputepenk22_ has a reputation beyond reputepenk22_ has a reputation beyond reputepenk22_ has a reputation beyond repute
Visit penk22_'s Facebook Visit penk22_'s Twitter
Default Re: Remembrance Day: For Club and Country

UNITED PAY TRIBUTE ON SOMME ANNIVERSARY

On the 100th anniversary of the Battle of the Somme, Manchester United has joined the tributes to those who lost their lives during World War I.

More than a million men were wounded or killed at the Somme in the largest battle of World War I on the Western Front. One of the former United players who died in the conflict in 1916, Oscar Linkson, was recently remembered by his great-great-granddaughter Mollie and her history class at Tolworth Girls' School in Surbiton, London. Mollie [pictured] and her class-mates visited the Somme area in northern France and laid a wreath provided by the club at the Footballers' Memorial at Longueval.

"I’m happy to say that Mollie successfully laid the wreath on behalf of Manchester United," said history teacher David Flood. "She was absolutely overwhelmed by the occasion, and it was a truly touching event. We held a short ceremony and had a minute's silence for all those who died serving with the Footballers' Battalions."

A city centre parade and service is being held in Manchester today (Friday) from 14:00 BST before an evening of remembrance at Heaton Park to mark the 100-year anniversary.

Former United players lost in World War I:

Arthur Beadsworth
Was a player with Manchester United from October 1902 to the end of May 1903 (12 apps, 3 goals). Served in the 7th Battalion Leicestershire Regiment as a Sergeant. Gassed on October 9 1917 and died later that day. Buried at Wimereux Communal Cemetery, France.

Bernard Donaghy
Was a player for Manchester United from November 1905 to August 1906 (3 apps). Served in the 1st Battalion Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers as a Private. Missing in action, presumed killed, 1 July 1916 at the Somme. Commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial.

Arthur Hooper
Was a player with Manchester United from October 1909 to June 1914 (7 apps, 1 goal). Served in the 8th Battalion The King’s Own (Royal Lancaster Regiment) as a Private. Died of wounds 4 April 1916. Buried at Lijssenthoek Military Cemetery, Belgium.

Oscar H.S. Linkson
Represented Manchester United from July 1908 to August 1913 (59 apps). Served in the 17th Battalion Middlesex Regiment as a Private. Missing in Action, presumed killed, on 8 August 1916 at the Somme. Commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial.

Alexander ‘Sandy’ Turnbull
Was a player with Manchester United from 1907 to 1915 (247 apps, 101 goals), volunteered circa December 1915. Served in 8th Battalion East Surrey Regiment as a Lance Sergeant. Missing in action, presumed killed at Arras on 3 May 1917. Commemorated on the Arras Memorial.

Thomas H. Wall
Was a Reserve-team player with Manchester United from May 1908 to circa May 1910 (0 first-team apps). Served in the 2nd / 10th Battalion Manchester Regiment as a Private. Missing in action, presumed killed, 9 October 1917 in the Ypres Salient. Commemorated on the Tyne Cot Memorial.

HTML Code:
http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Club-News/2016/Jun/remembering-man-united-players-who-died-in-world-war-I-on-100th-anniversary-of-battle-of-the-somme.aspx