View Single Post
Old 02-10-2009, 08:48 AM   #3
rondwisan

Thanked 4,736 Times in 2,701 Posts
Mentioned: 567 Post(s)
rondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond repute
Visit rondwisan's Facebook Visit rondwisan's Twitter
Default Re: [Legend] Sammy McIlroy

.............. lanjut

Do you think Mark Hughes, my favourite United player of all time, is good enough to succeed Sir Alex? Will the fact he’s at City be a problem? from Kilkenny man
I think we should forget about the United-City issue because there have been many men over the years who’ve been at both clubs like Denis Law, Brian Kidd, John Gidman and myself. What United fans want is a manager who can come and continue what Sir Alex has done. That’s going to be an unbelievable task. Mark Hughes is in a situation now where he’s got the funds to have a go at winning the league. If he’s successful at City, and he takes them into Europe, then he could be an option as I think you need European experience to be the next United manager. It is possible, it all depends on how successful he is at City.

Following Cristiano Ronaldo's departure, I would love to see Nani step up to the plate. Do you think he has what it takes? from rr united
Nani’s a fantastically skilful player but I think he needs to have a more regular spot in the side to get the best out of him. There’s no doubt the ability’s there and I’m sure we’ll see more of that if he has a run of games. But I think it’s unfair to try and put him in Ronaldo’s shoes because, like George Best, he’s a one-off.

What was the difference between playing for United and City? from Matt Cornejo
It was a massive difference. Some City fans didn’t take to me as the last of the Busby Babes to come through at United. I also had an unfortunate time with an Achilles injury, I ended up having three operations and the City fans didn’t see the best of me. Playing for United had always been my dream, they were the happiest 13 years of my career as a player.

Coming from the home of the great Georgie Best, did you feel any added pressure when you first broke into Sir Matt's first team? from Nathan Scholes
No, although you can understand why people wondered if I’d be “the next George Best”, being a young boy who came out of Northern Ireland and into the United team. But my father and other people around me kept my feet firmly on the ground, reminding me there could only be one George Best and encouraging me to be my own man. There was no way I would ever think of myself in that mould anyway because Best, for me, was the greatest player in the world and no-one could touch him. I just wanted to get on with my own career.

Do you think Steve Coppell would have been one of the best midfielders of all time if it hadn't been for the injury that cut his career short? from Cyprus Red Devil
We had two wingers in those days – Steve Coppell and Gordon Hill, and they were opposites in terms of their approach. Gordon was flamboyant and would score goals from all angles with his fantastic left foot. Stevie would work up and down the line like a Trojan, his fitness level was fantastic. Had it not been for that knee injury, I’m sure he would have had a long and rewarding career. He was great to play with and a fantastic lad.

The 1977 team had class, flair and great attacking skill. Do you share my belief that you would have won the title had the Doc not been sacked? from Ernie Bernady, Luxembourg
That’s a great question. That was a fantastic side to play in and I think the Doc was going to add some players to the squad after we won the FA Cup in 1977. Unfortunately it’s only ifs and buts now but I do believe that team, if the squad had been strengthened in a couple of areas, could have made a real challenge for the league title. I think all the players were shocked when the Doc was sacked but it was an embarrassing situation because Laurie Brown, a great fella, also worked with us as our physio. (Docherty was having an affair with Brown's wife). Something had to be done and unfortunately the Doc lost his job.

What do you say to the kids who dream night and day of playing for United? from Cashs29
I dreamed of playing for United and was fortunate enough to make it happen. If the kids out there have the will and the dedication, and they listen to their coaches, then maybe their dream will come true. They’ll be very, very lucky boys if it does happen because there are so many who never get the chance. But if they do get the chance, I’d say grasp it and enjoy it because it’s a fantastic club to play for.

rondwisan is offline   Reply With Quote