View Single Post
Old 15-07-2019, 09:49 AM   #32
zudomiriku

Thanked 1,785 Times in 921 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
zudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aaron Wan-Bissaka

'He just told me to play without fear': Aaron Wan-Bissaka reveals advice from former Crystal Palace team-mate Wilfried Zaha over £50m move to Manchester United

* Aaron Wan-Bissaka signed for Manchester United in a deal worth £50million
* He spoke to former Crystal Palace team-mate Wilfried Zaha about the move
* Zaha was a flop at Old Trafford after signing from Palace for £15m in 2013

Aaron Wan-Bissaka has taken advice from former Crystal Palace team-mate Wilfried Zaha over his £50million move to Manchester United.

Zaha was a flop at Old Trafford after signing from Palace for £15m in 2013, making just four Premier League appearances before returning to his old club.

After Wan-Bissaka made his debut in a 2-0 win over Perth Glory at the Optus Stadium, the England Under-21 defender revealed that he has spoken to Zaha about adjusting to life at United.

'When he knew that I joined, he just told me to play without fear,' said Wan-Bissaka, who was one of 11 half-time substitutions made by manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer in Perth.

'I have come here as a new signing and he said, "Just play your game and do what you did last season".

'He was happy for me. He said I deserved it and I should continue working hard and doing what I do.

'I try not to focus on that (the pressure). For me, it is just developing as a player and my ability to help the team going forward.

'I expected it when I came here - it's a big club. I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for Crystal Palace so the attention will always be there. I just need to play my game and block it out.

Aaron Wan-Bissaka made his Manchester United debut on Saturday after £50million move. Wan-Bissaka took advice from former Crystal Palace team-mate Wilfried Zaha over the move. Wan-Bissaka says Zaha told him to play without fear with the Red Devils

'It's always good to get that first game (out of the way), that is what I was looking forward to.'

Wan-Bissaka admitted that he felt more nervous performing a rap by Meek Mill in front of his new teammates at a Perth restaurant last week as part of an initiation.

'I'll stick to what I know, and that's football,' he added. 'I've settled in well, and the boys have been great. I was surprised, literally when I walked in everyone has been talking to me and encouraging me with advice. That has helped me a lot.'

In what was a relatively straightforward debut for United, the 21-year-old demonstrated why he has earned the nickname 'Spider' as he won all five tackles he made against the Glory.

'I don't think I learnt it, it's just the range of the legs,' he added. 'I realised when I was 18 I just had the length in the legs, so I use it to my advantage.

'You have got to time it well to make the tackles, but that comes down to concentration. You can't afford to gamble with it, you have to time it well. After every tackle it gives me confidence.'

Former United defender Denis Irwin admits Wan-Bissaka is under more pressure now but shouldn't be burdened by the transfer fee that makes him the sixth most expensive defender of all time.

'You have got to ignore the fee,' said Irwin, who is on United's pre-season tour of Australia, Singapore and China in his role as a club ambassador.

'I think £50m for a full-back is going to become the norm. And he has had a great 15 months at Palace so we are really looking forward to seeing him, we really are.

'There is a lot more pressure on him now, but hopefully he will be able to handle that. We needed a bit of pace and youth in the team. He and Dan James seem quite humble. I have noticed that in and around training and they seem quiet, there is nothing wrong with that.

'They will keep their heads down and work hard because they have a big opportunity to play for one of the biggest clubs in the world, and they have got to love that.'

James, 21, also made his first appearance for United since signing from Swansea City for £15m this summer and impressed in the first half against an under-strength Perth side that had two 15-year-olds on the pitch at full-time.

'Walking out there, with the amount of fans that have come from everywhere is surreal really,' said James, who sang Follow Me by Uncle Kracker as part of his initiation last week.

'Walking out at Old Trafford is the big one. That's when it will probably sink in.'

Code:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7247149/Aaron-Wan-Bissaka-reveals-advice-Wilfried-Zaha-50m-Manchester-United.html