Old 24-09-2011, 08:04 PM   #9
MIN
academy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
MIN Ready for being a real United Indonesia
Visit MIN's Twitter
Default Re: Tottenham Hotspur - News and Rumors

Redknapp would not sell Defoe

Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp has revealed he was scared of selling striker Jermain Defoe over the summer because he knows the decision would have come back to haunt him.

The 28-year-old struggled to hit the back of the net on a regular basis last season, scoring just nine goals in all competitions, his lowest tally since 2005.

Redknapp cited a lack of firepower last term as one of the key reasons why the club failed to achieve their aim of qualifying for the UEFA Champions League for the second year in succession.

The 64-year-old responded in the summer transfer window by selling Robbie Keane and Peter Crouch and bringing in Emmanuel Adebayor on loan from Manchester City.

Scared

Defoe was also linked with a move away from White Hart Lane and while Redknapp admits there was some interest, he didn't dare sell the England man, who has already scored three goals in six appearances so far this campaign.

"There was a Premier League team that came in for him. I can't remember who it was. It was a poor offer, but I said: 'no chance'. I would never have sold him," said Redknapp.

"I would have been scared to sell him. He is one of those who would come back to haunt you. He would go somewhere else and do the business."

Redknapp also revealed that Defoe spent much of the summer working in France with fitness coach Tiberius Darau in order to be top condition ahead of the new campaign.

The former Portsmouth and West Ham manager believes that hard work will soon pay off and provide the solution to the London club's goal shortage.

"Full credit to him. He didn't have the summer laying on the beach. It says a lot about the lad that he cares and wants to come back ready to play so he went to see this guy Tiberius," added Redknapp.

Fantastic

"I know what a determined little guy he is. He wants to do well. He is a good little pro."

"He has always been a fantastic goal scorer. I have always said to him he should score more goals. He is really a 20 goals a year man. That has to be his target this year."

"If we can get two strikers getting 20 goals then it will make a massive difference to us because last year we never had that at all."

"I have always liked him. He is sharp, a good finisher. There aren't too many better than Jermain Defoe around."

Source: Sky Sport