Thread: Mike Phelan
View Single Post
Old 24-10-2019, 09:20 AM   #62
zudomiriku

Thanked 1,785 Times in 921 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
zudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mike Phelan

'Enough's enough, son. I'm letting you go. I'm going to bring in the kids': Manchester United assistant Mike Phelan reveals how Sir Alex Ferguson brutally told him he was being replaced by Gary Neville 25 years ago

* Mike Phelan played for Manchester United between the years of 1989-1994
* Phelan has recalled the moment Sir Alex Ferguson decided to let him go in 1994
* Gary Neville would end up taking Phelan's place at right-back at Old Trafford

Mike Phelan has revealed how legendary Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson replaced him with upcoming star Gary Neville 25 years ago.

The versatile right-back signed for the Old Trafford outfit from fellow English side Norwich back in 1989 but his career with the club came to a frustrating end five years later.

Ferguson had convinced Phelan to sign on the dotted line at United ahead of Everton but in 1994, the former manager showed no mercy when it came to moving him on for rising star Neville - who was part of the special Class of '92, which also included his brother Phil, David Beckham, Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes and Nicky Butt.

Mike Phelan (left) played under Sir Alex Ferguson at Manchester United between 1989-1994. Gary Neville, member of the Class of '92, would replace Phelan in the team at Old Trafford

And Phelan, who would eventually become Ferguson's assistant later down the lines, has revealed how he questioned the Scotsman's decision to let him go.

'He came up to me the Friday before the game on Saturday, last game of the season, and pulled me to one side at the training ground,' Phelan told The Athletic.

'He said: "Enough's enough, son. I'm letting you go." "Letting me go where?" "You've done terrific for me, but I'm going to bring in some of the young kids."

'This is when the Class of '92 were around. I was older then, a little bit gobby.

Phelan is back at Old Trafford working as assistant manager to Ole Gunnar Solskjaer. Phelan enjoyed a very successful time as assistant to legendary United manager Ferguson

'"Who?" "I'm going to play Gary Neville." "Gary Neville? What's he got? Come on, Gaffer. You're gonna play a kid?" "Yeah".'

Phelan would go on to join West Brom, where he would spend 18 months before deciding to hang up his boots.

Phelan would end up serving as Ferguson's assistant between 2008-2013 and he returned to Old Trafford last year to work alongside Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.

Code:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7605535/Manchester-United-assistant-Mike-Phelan-reveals-Sir-Alex-Ferguson-told-replaced.html