View Single Post
Old 23-12-2009, 09:13 AM   #609
hendiplast
captain

Thanked 1,534 Times in 978 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
hendiplast is a splendid one to beholdhendiplast is a splendid one to beholdhendiplast is a splendid one to beholdhendiplast is a splendid one to beholdhendiplast is a splendid one to beholdhendiplast is a splendid one to beholdhendiplast is a splendid one to beholdhendiplast is a splendid one to beholdhendiplast is a splendid one to behold

Default Re: [Merged]Manchester United - Transfer rumours 2009/2010

Coming soon to your club? United throw the January transfer window open with £9m bid for star Benfica winger

Sir Alex Ferguson has kicked off the January transfer-window action by bidding for Benfica winger Angel Di Maria.

Ferguson has reacted to Manchester United's stuttering defence of their title by offering £9million plus Nani for the 21-year-old Argentina international.

The United manager witnessed Di Maria's scintillating form at first hand when he was at Goodison Park for the second leg of Benfica's Europa League rout of Everton recently.

Yet it seems football is finally feeling the pinch this winter.

The Premier League may have its nouveaux riches in Birmingham City and Manchester City, or relative warhorses in United and Chelsea, but there will be few grand unveilings over the next four weeks.

Indeed, we should not be surprised if to loan, beg, borrow or steal becomes the motto of this January window.

Business will be busy but bargains in the shape of swaps, loans and free transfers will be the trend.

The move for Di Maria doesn't end Fergie's interest in a defender or left-sided midfielder but he would prefer to delay further recruitment until the summer. And he is not alone.

Arsene Wenger has often been tied by Arsenal's purse strings but he reasons it is not so easy to find what you want. 'Let's not dream. You must be a magician to go out today and buy a player who can play in the Champions League, who is free and who has world-class quality,' he said.

'We haven't found what we want but there is money there. Ideally, I would just like our injured players back. I always said I would not buy any players if we had no injuries.'

The main focus is on Chelsea. Transfer embargo permitting, they are the main attraction. Being based in London, top of the league and blessed with a rich benefactor will appeal to the twinkling toes of Atletico Madrid's Sergio Aguero and the brawn of Wolfsburg's Edin Dzeko.

For Manchester City, transition is not as attractive to the world's elite stars as being an established Champions League contender. Roberto Mancini will certainly be a draw but defensive recruits could be where he has greatest success.

Alex McLeish will find Carson Yeung's £40m budget a whole new experience but even he is mindful of upsetting his improving side with any 'big-time Charlies'.

He said: 'I think if Lionel Messi was coming, the players might just accept that one. We want to maintain the spirit.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/