View Single Post
Old 09-05-2013, 08:02 PM   #7
troy andreas

Thanked 1,947 Times in 1,102 Posts
Mentioned: 273 Post(s)
troy andreas has a brilliant futuretroy andreas has a brilliant futuretroy andreas has a brilliant futuretroy andreas has a brilliant futuretroy andreas has a brilliant futuretroy andreas has a brilliant futuretroy andreas has a brilliant futuretroy andreas has a brilliant futuretroy andreas has a brilliant futuretroy andreas has a brilliant futuretroy andreas has a brilliant future

Visit troy andreas's Twitter
Default Re: René Meulensteen

Boss still has plenty to offer

Report by Adam Marshall

First-team coach Rene Meulensteen has described life under Sir Alex at Carrington as he insists the boss still has plenty to offer in his new role as a board member.

The Dutchman was surprised to hear the Scot reveal his decision to retire after discussing plans for next season and will clearly miss working so closely with the greatest manager the game has ever seen.

It is also evident that the character portrayed in the media is very different to the one that engenders such a great spirit at the training ground on a daily basis.

"I didn't see it coming to be fairly honest," Meulensteen informed MUTV. "I didn't have any sort of indication from him and we were talking and in discussion for next season so it came as very unexpected.

"He has been fantastic and this is a great opportunity for me to express that people have totally the wrong perception of what sort of man he really is. That's because the cameras during the game portray a different sort of picture to how he is day-to-day, working with him.

"He is fantastic to work for, has enormous knowledge, enormous drive and it spurred everyone on. The way we came back this season, in the fashion we did, is clear evidence of that. "There wasn't a day that would go by where he didn't have a laugh. He loved to crack a joke, get involved and take the mickey out of other people but wouldn't mind if it was the other way around as well.

"The manager learned to delegate and trust the staff around him and that put a lot of responsibility on ourselves [the coaching team] but it created a really, really good working environment."

When asked if he is pleased the manager is still staying on in some capacity, as a director and an ambassador, Meulensteen replied: "Absolutely. I think it would have been absolutely ridiculous to walk away from this completely. I still think, behind the scenes, he has got things to offer."
troy andreas is offline   Reply With Quote