View Single Post
Old 22-04-2015, 01:49 PM   #117
zudomiriku

Thanked 1,785 Times in 921 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
zudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: FC United of Manchester (FCUM): The Red Rebels

FC United of Manchester seal fourth promotion against Stourbridge as they edge closer to the Football League

* FC United of Manchester was set up as a club in protest of the Glazer family's takeover of Manchester United
* Their 1-0 over Stourbridge on Tuesday night has sealed their fourth promotion as Evo-Stik Northern Premier Champions
* It means that the club are just two promotions off the Football League

FC United of Manchester, the club set up in protest at the Glazer family's takeover of Manchester United, are now two promotions away from the Football League.

On an emotional night in front of 3,588 noisy fans the Rebels, soon to celebrate their 10th anniversary, sealed the fourth promotion of their short history with this nervy win over Stourbridge saw them crowned Evo-Stik Northern Premier champions.

Hundreds of ecstatic supporters invaded the pitch at the final whistle as the breakaway outfit secured elevation to the sixth tier after the heartbreak of no less than four play-off defeats.

FC United of Manchester players celebrate securing promotion following a 1-0 win over Stourbidge

The club's fourth promotion in their short history sees them come within two more of the Football League

FC will move to a new 5,000 capacity stadium of their own in May, ending a nomadic existence spent entirely on the road.

And it was the Tameside Stadium, home of neighbours Curzon Ashton, that hosted the latest chapter in an already significant history.

In a tense first-half winger Craig Lindfield, a building estimator, headed against the bar as the home side struggled to break down a resolute Stourbridge defence.

And it appeared not to be their night when sub Shelton Payne had a volley cleared off the line.

But on 69 minutes student and full back Greg Daniels rose unmarked to head home the impressive Lindfield's cross and spark joyous scenes.

It was the perfect finish from the former Macclesfield apprentice who was last week painting houses while on holiday from university.

FC came into existence in 2005 when a group of United supporters, despairing of the debt-burdening Old Trafford takeover by the US-based family, decided enough was enough and created their own democratically-run club which kicked off at the bottom of the pyramid in North West Counties Division Two.

From an initial meeting of a dozen at a curry house in the Rusholme district of Manchester they now boast more than 4,000 members, each of whom can claim to be an owners.

Many of those were in fine voice here.

Meanwhile, 30 miles down the road the Class of '92's Salford City celebrated promotion from the Evo-Stik Division One after title rivals Darlington 1883 could only draw 1-1 at Warrington Town.

That result means the club, partly owned by United legends Phil and Gary Neville, Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes and Nicky Butt, were crowned champions in the high-profile quintet's first season at the helm.

FC United manager Karl Marginson, who has been with the club since day one, believes 'anything is possible'.

'We've got a ground of our own,' he said, before a fan planted a kiss on his cheek.

'There's no reason why the league is not possible. We have to provide that for these supporters because they deserve it.'

Marginson admits he did not know what to expect when he took over the fledgling club.

'I didn't know what to think,' he said.

'I didn't have a clue. But it's something I'm immensely proud of. It's something we have to hold onto.'

Fans storm the pitch as the breakaway outfit celebrates a significant moment in their short history

When asked how he was going to celebrate Marginson added: 'I'm going to go to the Nag's Head if it's open when I get home.'

General Manager Andy Walsh, who has also been with FC from the beginning, echoed his manager's comments.

'We will assess where we are going to go,' he said. 'We're not in a hurry and we've always been about building for the long-term. This is a football club that is built on the ambitions and beliefs of its supporters.

'I think the Football League is very possible. We have a manager and coaching staff that have shown they can challenge. I firmly believe they can manage and coach in the Football League and I hope it's with us.'

Code:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3049570/FC-United-Manchester-seal-fourth-promotion-against-Stourbridge-edge-closer-Football-League.html