View Single Post
Old 02-10-2009, 08:44 AM   #2
rondwisan

Thanked 4,736 Times in 2,701 Posts
Mentioned: 567 Post(s)
rondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond repute
Visit rondwisan's Facebook Visit rondwisan's Twitter
Default Re: [Legend] Sammy McIlroy

01/10/2009 10:46 - ManUtd.com, Adam Bostock
McIlroy on the spot

Reds legend Sammy McIlroy answers questions posted at manutd.com/talkingreds...

What or who inspired you to play for United? from Zonqor
That’s an easy one - George Best. When I was growing up in Belfast in the 1960s, he was just coming onto the scene at United. He was a fantastic footballer. All the young kids in the street wanted to try and copy what George was doing with the ball and I was no different. He was a great influence on me supporting and wanting to play for United.

What gave you the greatest pleasure, winning at Wembley with Morecambe in 2007 or doing it with United in 1977? from Wayne Theobald
It was absolutely fantastic to win the Conference play-off final and take Morecambe into the Football League as their manager. Then I cast my mind back to winning the 1977 FA Cup final as a United player – also fantastic, because we beat a great Liverpool side and stopped them doing the Treble. Choosing between the two experiences is very difficult.

If you could sign one United player from the past and one from the present for Morecambe (my home-town team), who would you pick? from Carole (dono2)
That's a hard one! I’m leaving out many fantastic players of course, but if I can only pick two, it would be Best and Wayne Rooney. Wayne is a brilliant player and I love his energy and his enthusiasm. He’s still only young and I’m sure he’s going to go on and be one of the greatest players United have ever had.

You started off as a striker but then became a midfielder for United. How did the transition work for you and what were the reasons behind it? from Himann
I came into the side as a striker under Sir Matt Busby and then Frank O’Farrell. I also played up front in Tommy Docherty’s early days when I had a great understanding with Stuart Pearson. Then we signed Jimmy Greenhoff from Stoke City and the Doc moved me into midfield when Gerry Daly left the club. I enjoyed it there because I was more involved in the game and I was lucky enough to have the fitness I needed to get up and down the pitch.

What was the best thing about being a pro footballer in the 1970s? from Pugan Raul
People talk about the money that top players are on today and it bears no comparison to our era, although we were still on decent wages compared to the working public. I thought it was a fantastic time to play football in the 1970s, especially at United. I was lucky enough to be at United for 13 years and to have a great rapport with the fans. The club was beginning to attract a worldwide following and it was great to be around at that time.

Who was your best friend in the squad during your United days? from Sacha Red Devil
We all got on well together as a squad but my closest friends were probably Jimmy Nicholl, David McCreery, Arthur Albiston and Brian Greenhoff.

Who was the toughest defender you played against and why? from Riad Rahamatullah
I was lucky enough - if you can call it lucky - to have played against the infamous hard men like Ron ‘Chopper’ Harris, Norman Hunter and Tommy Smith, all at the latter stages of their careers. But I’d say it was a player called Kevin Beattie from Ipswich. He was a fantastic defender, great in the air and strong as an ox. Had an injury not curtailed his career, I’m sure he would have gone on to win a record number of caps for England.

rondwisan is offline   Reply With Quote