Thread: Axel Tuanzebe
View Single Post
Old 13-11-2015, 04:17 PM   #6
Andi Istiabudi
manager

Thanked 2,334 Times in 1,748 Posts
Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Andi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to behold

Default Re: Axel Tuanzebe

REDS PROSPECT TUANZEBE IS A BORN DEFENDER

As Axel Tuanzebe turns 18 on Saturday, the central defender is unlikely to be sitting back and admiring his rapid progress with Manchester United over the past year.

After being named on the substitutes' bench for the recent draw at Crystal Palace, he was registered for the Champions League and trained with the first team in preparation for the visit of CSKA Moscow to Old Trafford.

Still learning his trade, Tuanzebe captained the Under-19s against the Russian side's youngsters in the UEFA Youth League and produced another sterling performance at the heart of the defence. His ability in one-on-one situations drew praise from coach Nicky Butt but the art of defending appears to come naturally to a supreme athlete.

"Defender has always been the most natural position for me," he told ManUtd.com. "I would say I can fill in in other positions but, naturally, it always felt right at the back. Even in little five-a-side games, I would always end up at the back of the field just to ensure everything was safe."

Schooled in junior football in Lancashire, Tuanzebe has been with United since the age of eight and is another illustration that the production line of talent is still working.

"I was born in the Democratic Republic of Congo and moved when I was three or four years old," he revealed. "I grew up in Rochdale and football was always my love. There was a nice little local football pitch where everyone would go. A group of my friends would play every day, there were always games there, and I joined in.

"From a young age, I could see everyone was complimenting me on my talent and I was brought to a nearby local team. I started playing for them regularly every Saturday for two years before I joined Manchester United. I was eight and started playing for the Under-11s. There are three of us still here from that Under-11s team."

Despite possessing an imposing physique, he has been eased into men's football gently with Warren Joyce blooding the fledgling centre-back as a wide midfielder when using him as a substitute in the Under-21s' title-winning campaign last season.

"Even though the Under-18s is more about development, the Under-21s is about turning you into a player," said Tuanzebe. "There is a massive age range as you’re allowed three over-aged players so there is a variety of players. It’s great experience to learn how to handle different players to make you a better player.

"Warren did that to get me into the system. You don’t want to be put in at centre-back against a giant; you get players who know the game and have such speed so you have to step your game up and realise this is the opportunity to become a regular player. It’s how you deal with it. Even if you have a bad game, you have to work hard to impress Warren, the manager."

The trappings of becoming a Barclays Premier League footballer are obvious with such riches on offer but the level-headed defender clearly has his feet planted firmly on the ground.

"It is embedded in you from day one to always be a humble person and never take anything for granted," Tuanzebe explained. "You must appreciate everything you have got because, when you go out and see other clubs in the lower leagues, you realise things are not as fortunate compared to what we have here. You see what it’s really like so you must work hard for your current situation and appreciate it really.

"There are such rewards if you make it but that’s where you separate the good from the best. If you let distractions get to you, you know you will never reach your goal. You have got to understand that can all come at a later stage but you need to get to the place where you want to be first if you want the rewards."

Tuanzebe will undoubtedly strive to make even further progress in his final year as a teenager. Retaining the Under-21 Premier League title is an obvious ambition and his winning mentality is clearly already one that fits in well at a club like United.

"With my age as well, to win the Under-21 league at such a young age would be really special and another one for the collection," he said. "Wherever you go, you always want to win – whether it be a little individual tournament or the biggest trophies. You always want to win and I definitely want to win this league."

http://www.manutd.com
Andi Istiabudi is offline   Reply With Quote