Thread: James Wilson
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2014, 09:54 PM   #17
rondwisan

Thanked 4,736 Times in 2,701 Posts
Mentioned: 567 Post(s)
rondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond repute
Visit rondwisan's Facebook Visit rondwisan's Twitter
Default Re: James Wilson

ManUtd.com - Adam Marshal
Blog: James the first

At St. James’ Park recently, there was a ripple of excitement before a ball had even been kicked.*

James Wilson had been part of the larger matchday squad for the Aston Villa fixture but, with Wayne Rooney joining Robin van Persie on the sidelines, it was logical to assume he had a real chance of being on the bench at Newcastle.*

When Danny Welbeck was still dressed in his club suit some half-an-hour after Wilson had made his entrance to the home of the Magpies with the rest of the players, it appeared inevitable the teenager would receive a taste of senior football, becoming the first youngster to make a debut appearance in the 18-man squad since David Moyes took charge. After this fact was confirmed by media manager Karen Shotbolt handing me the teamsheet, the response on Twitter was telling. There was a buzz around Wilson’s selection that only occurs when a homegrown youngster makes his breakthrough.*

For all the global appeal of the Barclays Premier League, and the ability of the clubs to invest millions of pounds in ready-made first-teamers from all over the world, there is something that resonates with all supporters in a youthful prodigy taking those first tentative steps to stardom. There is a sense of satisfaction that a player nurtured since a schoolboy has overcome the giant hurdle of making the first-team squad, gaining a shirt number and seeing his name printed on the back of the official programme.*

I watched Wilson from close quarters as he warmed up beforehand. Club captain Nemanja Vidic, another of the substitutes, appeared keen to help make him feel at home as they practised short, sharp passes. As things transpired, it was the only time he got onto the pitch, with injuries helping to prevent Moyes from giving the 18-year-old rookie his debut despite a convincing lead.*

As Reserves coach Warren Joyce stressed to me, the hard work starts here for Wilson. After being set a target of scoring in each of the remaining Under-21 games, the Biddulph-born striker drilled a glorious goal against Villa that generated awe around Old Trafford and, arguably, gets better with every viewing, courtesy of MUTV’s replays. It took me a few seconds to realise I had broken into spontaneous applause in the press box. So much for any impartiality!*

Yet this is the reaction and respect youngsters like Wilson engender in me. I was at the same venue for my first sight of him in action, when he came on as a substitute to score the winner against Charlton Athletic in the FA Youth Cup as a 15-year-old. I remembered watching from the sidelines against Wolves Under-18s at the Aon Training Complex at the start of this season when a single touch on the halfway line, as ridiculous as that sounds, cemented my belief that he was a special talent.*

Later at Newcastle last Saturday, Adnan Januzaj, another prospect still in his teens, spun away from his marker with effortless ease and a grace that made those in close proximity by the touchline gasp. It reminded me of a moment in the first Under-21 game of the season, against Liverpool at the AJ Bell Stadium, and how I wanted Adnan to keep receiving the ball so he could showcase his skills.*

And it really sank in. I’m as excited now as I have ever been by these youngsters and the potential they possess. From Mark Hughes and Norman Whiteside to the Class of '92, and Ryan Giggs in particular, I have seen these youth-team products make their mark on United and, consequently, my life. Nothing matches the sense of added pride in seeing one of the Reds’ own mix it with the very best. Every Giggs goal has always generated an instant afterglow that is difficult to describe and a little embarrassing to admit.*

Whether Wilson fulfills his potential is impossible to predict. The same can still be said of Januzaj, even though he has made huge progress this term. However, these and their fellow youngsters in Joyce and Paul McGuinness’ squads are the ones who fill me with such hope and expectation for the future. Despite the intense pressure and high stakes, I crave that the door remains open for the very best to filter through.*

While many fans salivate at the talk of a major spending spree in the summer and the never-ending roll call of players being linked with a move to United, nothing stirs my emotions more than those already at the club. Individuals who are steeped in the tradition of Manchester United, who have grown up loving the Reds and respecting our history. Judging by the response to Wilson’s first inclusion, I feel relieved to know I am not alone.
rondwisan is offline   Reply With Quote