Thread: Jesse Lingard
View Single Post
Old 21-07-2012, 10:56 PM   #8
rondwisan

Thanked 4,736 Times in 2,701 Posts
Mentioned: 567 Post(s)
rondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond repute
Visit rondwisan's Facebook Visit rondwisan's Twitter
Default Re: Jesse Lingard

21/07/2012 07:30 - ManUtd.com, Nick Coppack
Lingard's hard work pays off

United midfielder Jesse Lingard admits even he has been surprised by the rapid progress he's made in the past 12 months.

Lauded by Sir Alex Ferguson following his first taste of senior football in Wednesday's opening pre-season fixture in Durban, the 19-year-old midfielder now hopes to earn more opportunities to impress on the big stage.

A close-to-capacity Moses Mabhida Stadium (a World Cup semi-final venue in 2010) is certainly a long way from Conference side Fleetwood Town's quaint Highbury Stadium, the ground on which Lingard came off the bench for United's Reserves a year to the day before he spoke to ManUtd.com on Friday.

"It's been a mad experience for me, to be honest," he says. "It's even surprised me. I've come on a lot quicker than anybody thought I would. But from the start of last year's Reserves season until now, where I'm playing first-team friendlies in South Africa, I've loved every minute of it.

"I'm happy I've been given a chance and now I'm determined to prove I belong here. It would mean a lot [if I succeed in nailing down a regular spot]. But if you want to get into this team you have to put in the effort. You look at the likes of Rio Ferdinand and you see the attributes you need to be a top player. I know I need to get bigger and stronger so that's what I'm going to do."

Lingard, who's both slighter and shorter than most modern-day footballers, revealed he spent time this summer undertaking extra training in a bid to get sharper and stronger for the new season.

"A lot of my progression can be put down to hard work. I've been hitting the gym a lot and I went away this summer to America where I did a lot of speed work and extra training. It's all paid off in what seems like a matter of months."

Lingard's no overnight sensation, though. He's been on United's books since he was seven. In recent years he's shone for both the Under-18s and the Reserves and admitted recently he'd relish a loan move away from Old Trafford.

"It's a natural progression," he says. "You move up from the Academy into the Reserves and then, hopefully, you play well and secure a loan.

"It's good for me that the manager's brought me on tour to get a bit of experience. If I do go on loan then this taste of being around a first-team squad should really help me. The aim would then be to do well and then come back and challenge for a first-team spot. That's what Danny Welbeck did when he went to Sunderland."

Like Welbeck, Lingard - born in Warrington - grew up a staunch United fan. "For as long as I remember," he says, "all I wanted to do was to play for this club.

"I've been at United from the age of seven. It's a massive deal for me to have progressed so far. I've worked hard all my life to get here and it's now starting to pay off."
“Let’s not underestimate the other teams. They are very good teams and there are a lot of games to play before the end of the season. We’re in a good position. But that means nothing if you don’t win the next game.” - Dimitar Berbatov
rondwisan is offline   Reply With Quote