Thread: Paul Ince
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2014, 08:05 PM   #22
troy andreas

Thanked 1,947 Times in 1,102 Posts
Mentioned: 273 Post(s)
troy andreas has a brilliant futuretroy andreas has a brilliant futuretroy andreas has a brilliant futuretroy andreas has a brilliant futuretroy andreas has a brilliant futuretroy andreas has a brilliant futuretroy andreas has a brilliant futuretroy andreas has a brilliant futuretroy andreas has a brilliant futuretroy andreas has a brilliant futuretroy andreas has a brilliant future

Visit troy andreas's Twitter
Default Re: Paul Ince

Team of '94: Paul Ince

We continue our feature on United's first Double winners, the 1993/1994 team, by focusing on Paul Ince...

Overall contribution It could be argued this was Ince's best-ever season and he was certainly one of the leading lights throughout the campaign. The introduction of Roy Keane alongside him allowed the Londoner to tear forward and he often popped up in the opposing box to grab vital goals. An all-round midfielder at his box-to-box best, his value to this great side should never be overlooked.

Best performance There were a string of top-class showings from Ince but his Boxing Day heroics against Blackburn Rovers were impossible to ignore. Refusing to accept defeat and soldiering on with a knee injury, he netted in injury time from close range to preserve a 14-month unbeaten home record and claim the last word after a running battle with David Batty.

Key moment The equaliser against Rovers may have been more important but nothing could be sweeter than his leveller three minutes from time at West Ham. The supporters of his former club gave Ince terrible abuse but he admirably maintained his dignity after beating Ludek Miklosko to earn a point to silence his detractors.

What he said "To me, if you win the midfield battle, you win the game. And, with Keaney alongside me, I always reckon we've got a chance. He's been a great help to me. With him being only 22 and me 26, I feel confident we can dominate football for five or six years."

What others said "He had a fantastic season for us. By example, he has shown that he is England's best midfielder. I felt he should have won the Football Writers' Player of the Year award. I thought the decision to give it to Chris Waddle was purely political." - Alex Ferguson.

Just the stats Never coming off the bench, he made 55 appearances in total - including 39 in the Barclays Premier League. Eight league goals was a great return, with only four Reds contributing more in the division.

Trivia Ince unselfishly set up Brian McClair to net the last goal of the 1993/1994 campaign and round off a 4-0 victory against Chelsea in the FA Cup final at Wembley.

What happened next? Surprisingly sold to Inter Milan only a year later, he controversially moved back to England to join United's arch-rivals Liverpool. Ince has since turned his hand to management and was most recently with Blackpool.

HTML Code:
http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Features/2014/Apr/manchester-united-1994-double-winners-paul-ince.aspx?newsid=26F84CFC-E845-487D-A5A4-C84C27EF92FC&pageNo=2

"setial masa ada orangnya, setiap orang ada masanya."
troy andreas is offline   Reply With Quote