United Indonesia - Manchester United Indonesia Supporters Club
Register
Go Back   United Indonesia - Manchester United Indonesia Supporters Club > INSIDE MANCHESTER UNITED > United Lounge

Old 20-02-2020, 08:18 AM   #121
zudomiriku
Happy New Year 2023

Thanked 1,785 Times in 921 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
zudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Manchester United under Solskjaer

'Question marks will remain unless something changes': Robin van Persie insists Ole Gunnar Solskajer will still be under pressure even if Manchester United win the Europa League, saying only 'attractive' football will save him

* Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has led Manchester United to seventh in table this year
* Former Red Devil striker Robin van Persie believes he must win with style
* Dutchman claimed Jose Mourinho's 2017 Europa League win was not satisfying

Robin van Persie believes Ole Gunnar Solskjaer must deliver not just trophies but also attractive football to win over Manchester United supporters.

The Norwegian has endured a mixed tenure since taking over as manager of the Old Trafford club in Decmeber 2018, with the team currently seventh in the Premier League and three points from the top four.

Former Red Devils hitman van Persie also believes the pressure of following in the footsteps of Sir Alex Ferguson generates further pressure on managers at the club.

Robin van Persie (R) believes Ole Gunnar Solskjaer still has questions to answer

Van Persie told the Sun: 'Question marks over Ole will remain unless something changes, even if they win the Europa League — the standards are that high.

'It would help take some pressure off, but the club have been winning over so many years and everyone remembers the Ferguson era.

'His philosophy was about taking risks and playing entertaining football and that's what United fans expect.

'When you play there that's the pressure you have to get used to. Winning is not enough — you have to win in a nice and attractive way.'

The Dutchman also claimed the 2017 Europa League final win was unsatisfying for fans. Solskjaer has led his side to seventh in the table this season, three points from fourth place

Van Persie explained: 'When they won under Mourinho, somehow it didn't feel satisfying.

'They won it, yes, but you have to do it in a certain way. If you win ugly, I don't think it counts for some people.

'If you go back to that final against Ajax, it was a tactical final. The games before that were not great either.

'You were not describing United as being a couple of levels above their opponent.

'They got over the line in the final, but over the next couple of months Solskjaer needs to go that one stage further.

'Football is entertainment and fans want to see that. Miss a chance? That's fine, but it has to be in a way that pleases the eye.

'Yes, there are many styles to win; there is more than one way to Rome. But the system they find has to be a positive one.

'And I hope for Solskjaer he can find that style, whatever that is, and do it in a classy way.

'He has proven himself in Europe before but if you are the coach of United you always have to prove yourself. That never stops, from the first day to the last.'

Van Persie added: 'It is a great trophy to win, up against some really good sides.

'Over the last couple of years teams just under that top level are getting better with more money to spend on better players.

'If you look at the squad of Inter for example, that is a top-quality team. If you draw against them it is going to be tough.

'It is not a certainty that United will even reach the final.'

Code:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8021479/Robin-van-Persie-insists-Solskajer-face-pressure-Manchester-United-win-Europa-League.html
Old 27-02-2020, 08:27 AM   #122
zudomiriku
Happy New Year 2023

zudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond repute

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer expects Manchester United to 'suffer' even more if they miss Champions League again after figures reveal £70m drop in revenue due to absence from Europe's top table this season

* Manchester United's revenue is predicted to drop by as much as £70m this year
* Their absence from the Champions League has severely impacted their finances
* Solskjaer is hoping to reclaim a place among Europe's elite next season
* He can qualify by winning the Europa League or by Premier League qualification

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer admits that Manchester United will continue to 'suffer' while they remain in Champions League exile.

This week has highlighted the true cost to United of being outside Europe's elite after the club's latest financial figures confirmed a drop in revenue that could total £70million for the year.

That is largely due to United's absence from the Champions League and Solskjaer is hoping to qualify next season either through the Premier League or Europa League, where United face Club Bruges in the second leg of their last-32 tie at Old Trafford tonight.

Solskjaer underlined the importance of beating the Belgians, but insisted that he is still not prioritising one competition over the other.

'We're a big club and we've got good finances but the longer you're out the more you suffer,' said the United manager, who turned 47 yesterday.

'So it's an ambition to get back into the Champions League. For footballing reasons and financially it will help the club.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer admits Manchester United will 'suffer' outside the Champions League

'We've got to focus on this competition, then the league on Sunday and then the FA Cup. We need to take one game at a time. You can't rely on winning the Europa League as there are some good teams in it and we need to get past Bruges.'

United won the competition under Jose Mourinho in 2017 to claim a Champions League place, and Luke Shaw has more reason than most to want to do it again having missed the final in Stockholm through injury.

'It's a massive ambition for me,' said Shaw. 'I was there for the Europa League final, and the feeling — even though I wasn't on the pitch — was one I have not felt and wanted more of. That is what is pushing me on even more to get into this final.'

Paul Pogba and Marcus Rashford were the only absentees from training yesterday, with United favourites to progress following a 1-1 draw in Belgium a week ago.

Code:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8047277/Manchester-United-suffer-miss-Champions-League-admits-Ole-Gunnar-Solskjaer.html
Old 27-02-2020, 08:27 AM   #123
zudomiriku
Happy New Year 2023

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer expects Manchester United to 'suffer' even more if they miss Champions League again after figures reveal £70m drop in revenue due to absence from Europe's top table this season

* Manchester United's revenue is predicted to drop by as much as £70m this year
* Their absence from the Champions League has severely impacted their finances
* Solskjaer is hoping to reclaim a place among Europe's elite next season
* He can qualify by winning the Europa League or by Premier League qualification

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer admits that Manchester United will continue to 'suffer' while they remain in Champions League exile.

This week has highlighted the true cost to United of being outside Europe's elite after the club's latest financial figures confirmed a drop in revenue that could total £70million for the year.

That is largely due to United's absence from the Champions League and Solskjaer is hoping to qualify next season either through the Premier League or Europa League, where United face Club Bruges in the second leg of their last-32 tie at Old Trafford tonight.

Solskjaer underlined the importance of beating the Belgians, but insisted that he is still not prioritising one competition over the other.

'We're a big club and we've got good finances but the longer you're out the more you suffer,' said the United manager, who turned 47 yesterday.

'So it's an ambition to get back into the Champions League. For footballing reasons and financially it will help the club.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer admits Manchester United will 'suffer' outside the Champions League

'We've got to focus on this competition, then the league on Sunday and then the FA Cup. We need to take one game at a time. You can't rely on winning the Europa League as there are some good teams in it and we need to get past Bruges.'

United won the competition under Jose Mourinho in 2017 to claim a Champions League place, and Luke Shaw has more reason than most to want to do it again having missed the final in Stockholm through injury.

'It's a massive ambition for me,' said Shaw. 'I was there for the Europa League final, and the feeling — even though I wasn't on the pitch — was one I have not felt and wanted more of. That is what is pushing me on even more to get into this final.'

Paul Pogba and Marcus Rashford were the only absentees from training yesterday, with United favourites to progress following a 1-1 draw in Belgium a week ago.

Code:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8047277/Manchester-United-suffer-miss-Champions-League-admits-Ole-Gunnar-Solskjaer.html
Old 28-02-2020, 09:10 AM   #124
zudomiriku
Happy New Year 2023

'We're starting to see signs, I think the future is bright': Former Man United midfielder Paul Scholes believes side are emerging from tough spell after big win over Club Brugge

* Paul Scholes believes Manchester United have a bright future ahead of them
* They progressed to the last-16 of the Europa League by thrashing Club Brugge
* Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's side are unbeaten in seven and sit fifth in the league
* Owen Hargreaves thinks they will catch up with Liverpool and Man City in time

Paul Scholes believes the future is bright for his former club Manchester United with signs they have put a tough spell behind them.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's side progressed to the last-16 of the Europa League after thrashing Club Brugge 5-0 at Old Trafford with new signings Bruno Fernandes and Odion Ighalo both getting on the scoresheet.

Winning the competition would give United a spot in the Champions League next season but Scholes believes they have every chance of qualifying through their league position.

Paul Scholes believes his former club are now favourites to finish in the final top four spot. The pundit believes Bruno Fernandes has livened things up since arriving at Old Trafford

Speaking on BT Sport after the victory over Brugge, the pundit explained how the situation has changed at the club.

'They're still a working progress. I think you'd always judge them on the league position which in the last few months hasn't been good enough. The way things have been the last couple of years, it's been a rebuilding job for Ole, there's no doubt about that.

'I think now we're starting to see signs, I think Ole has signed four players now, five with the Ighalo loan and I think all of them have been really good.

'I think the future is bright, there was some really good play tonight. That first 20 minutes it was lively, sometimes when you bring in a player as good as Fernandes it livens everybody up. All of a sudden everybody is giving that extra five per cent, they want to impress the new player.

'It's so unusual with a player coming from a different country, it usually takes a bit of time to settle down but from the minute he's started he's looked like a real player from the off.

Only PSG have kept more clean sheets in Europe's top five leagues than Solskjaer's side

'The signs are good and hopefully he stays in this type of form till the end of the season and they can get in that top four which you have to say they're favourites for. Looking at them now wit this one player coming into the team, you'd have to fancy them. Chelsea have had their problems, Tottenham have had their problems and it's something to build on for next year.'

United had a poor start to the season, with only three wins in the first nine league games and defeats to Crystal Palace, Newcastle and West Ham.

Solskjaer's side enjoyed victories over Chelsea, Manchester City and Tottenham along with draws against Liverpool and Arsenal in the first half of the campaign but struggled to beat teams at the other end of the table.

But they are now unbeaten in their last seven games, keeping clean sheets in six. Only PSG have kept more in the top five European leagues over the course of the whole season.

Owen Hargreaves thinks United will eventually catch up with Man City and Liverpool in time

Owen Hargreaves agreed with Scholes and believes the club can eventually catch up with Man City and Liverpool.

'I think if Ole can win a title, whatever it is, the FA Cup or the Europa League. If they can finish in the top four and win one of those he's had an exceptional season.

'Scholsey's right, its trajectory is one way. I think the signings have been good. They just need to get the goals up. Defensively their clean sheets are up there with PSG, the best teams in Europe.

'If they can get their attacking play, which looks like it's been addressed with Bruno Fernandes, plus a natural No 9, whether that's going to be Martial or Rashford, they look good.

'There's so many things to be excited about and it's great to be able to come here for us and be excited to watch Bruno Fernandes and all these players take part because there's some great players in there and Ole will try and get them back to what he was used to, what Scholesy was used to and I think it's gonna come.

'It might take time to catch City and Liverpool but it will come I'm sure of that.'

Code:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8053785/Paul-Scholes-backs-Manchester-United-seal-final-Champions-League-spot-win-Club-Brugge.html
Old 09-03-2020, 09:57 AM   #125
zudomiriku
Happy New Year 2023

'It's a special moment': Manchester United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer expresses his delight after doing the league double over local rivals City

* Manchester United secured a huge 2-0 victory over rivals City on Sunday
* Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has guided United back to form and they are flying
* Two days ago was the first anniversary of that famous victory away at PSG
* Now, this must feel like another landmark moment for the Norwegian boss

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer shielded his eyes from the floodlights and peered up into the directors' box. He located his family and blew kisses in their direction.

Two days after the first anniversary of his famous Champions League win over Paris Saint-Germain, this felt like another special occasion.

Manchester City vanquished for the third time this season, Old Trafford bouncing. It must have felt like old times for the Norwegian.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer must have felt like the good times were back at Old Trafford on Sunday

Solskjaer had feared the worst to the last; that City, like Liverpool in October, would finally break United's resistance and snatch a late equaliser.

His team held on, though. A 10th game unbeaten, seven wins, no defeats, eight clean sheets. This was the best of the lot, though, and why Solskjaer was scouring the stands.

'Family,' he confirmed. 'Of course it is (a special moment). We should have done this to Liverpool and you're thinking it's not going to be when you miss the opportunities to make it 2-0.

'It's a privilege to be a manager of a squad with this attitude. You can't ask for more. For our players to beat a team like Mancheste

Solskjaer admitted the win was a special moment, as they sealed the league double over City. The win will give United huge momentum going into their final push for the top-four

'The desire, attitude, commitment, the connection between with the fans – what a day they've had today. It's a derby, the fans love it the players love it.

'I haven't beaten Pep (Guardiola) three times, my players have. But I believe in my capability of improving this club. We know we lack one two three players to be considered a title contender, but we feel we are improving all the time.'

Solskjaer was again delighted with Bruno Fernandes who was engaged in a tetchy exchange with Guardiola on the touchline towards the end.

'You need character at this club, but this team have got that,' said the United boss. 'We have started something we believe in and Bruno has helped that.

'He has everything. He has the desire commitment but is also the risk taker. He has the courage to make mistakes.'

Solskjaer's only complaint was that neither referee Mike Dean or VAR thought Nicolas Otamendi's challenge on Fred in the first half was worthy of a penalty.

'Clear penalty,' he insisted. 'They checked it apparently so we have got different eyes.'

Code:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8089557/League-double-Man-City-Old-Trafford-bouncing-like-old-times-Ole-Gunnar-Solskjaer.html
Old 09-03-2020, 06:48 PM   #126
Andi Istiabudi
manager
Youtube: Andi Istiabudi

Thanked 2,334 Times in 1,748 Posts
Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Andi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to behold

Kehadiran Bruno Fernandes pada beberapa pertandingan terakhir membawa harapan dan perubahan level permainan dibandingkan penampilan United sebelum-sebelumnya. Mudah-mudahan saja hingga akhir musim ini United bisa tampil konsisten dan lebih baik lagi. Jika tidak ada kekalahan yang berarti dan memalukan, saya kok masih yakin Solskjaer masih bakal tetap dipercaya menjadi pelatih United musim depan
Andi Istiabudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 10:00 AM   #127
zudomiriku
Happy New Year 2023

'It's a partnership that we hope can flourish': Ole Gunnar Solskjaer reveals Anthony Martial and Bruno Fernandes have 'hit it off' since Portuguese's £68m move to Manchester United

* Bruno Fernandes is yet to lose as a Man United player after his January arrival
* Anthony Martial was in a rich vein of form too before the coronavirus crisis
* Ole Gunnar Solskjaer admits he is pleased with the pair's partnership so far
* United travel to play Tottenham when the Premier League restarts next week

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has revealed that Anthony Martial and Bruno Fernandes have 'hit it off' since the latter's move to Manchester United in January.

The United manager eventually landed the former Sporting Lisbon captain for £68million in January, and he has impressed so far, winning the Premier League Player of the Month award in February.

With Martial also stepping up to the plate in the absence of Marcus Rashford before football was paused in mid-March, Solskjaer is hopeful the partnership can continue to 'flourish' when the Premier League restarts next week.

'Anthony's had a difficult season with injuries but he started the season really well and he's finishing off... well, the season's not finished yet but he did really well towards the end,' Solskjaer told Premier League Productions.

'He's working hard and for me Anthony was on the way to his best season at Manchester United, so let's see if he finishes it off and kicks on again.

'Tony and Bruno [Fernandes] have hit it off together so it's a partnership that we hope can flourish.

'We knew he was a quality player and knew that when he came in he would have an impact straight away, but you never know if he's going to settle early in a new country - but he's taken to it like a duck to water.'

Bruno Fernandes and Anthony Martial have 'hit it off' since the Portuguese arrived at the club. Man Utd manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is happy with the partnership of two of his key players

Martial has scored 10 Premier League goals in 27 appearances this season, but he scored in three out of his last four outings before the coronavirus crisis hit.

Fernandes, meanwhile, has inspired his team-mates and seemingly the whole club, with Solskjaer's side unbeaten since the midfielder arrived.

United get their season back underway with a tricky trip to top-four rivals Tottenham on June 19.

Code:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8405921/Ole-Gunnar-Solskjaer-reveals-Anthony-Martial-Bruno-Fernandes-hit-off.html
Old 09-07-2020, 09:41 AM   #128
zudomiriku
Happy New Year 2023

'I would still make the same decision': Ole Gunnar Solskjaer insists his call to show Romelu Lukaku and Alexis Sanchez the Man United exit door has been vindicated by his sharp-shooters

* Ole Gunnar Solskjaer sold striker Romelu Lukaku to Inter Milan last summer
* Flop Alexis Sanchez was allowed to leave for Inter on a season-long loan deal
* At times this season, United have struggled for firepower when going forward
* But forward line of Anthony Martial, Marcus Rashford and Mason Greenwood have started to fire
* United are unbeaten in 16 games with all of his forwards among the goals

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer insists he has no regrets over his decision to let big names like Romelu Lukaku leave Manchester United after seeing his attack ignite.

Lukaku moved to Inter Milan for £74million last summer and Alexis Sanchez joined him at the San Siro on loan.

Ander Herrera, Antonio Valencia and Matteo Darmian also left Old Trafford, followed by Ashley Young in January, while Chris Smalling and Marcos Rojo were loaned out to Roma and Estudiantes respectively.

Alexis Sanchez (left) and Romelu Lukaku (right) were shown the exit door last summer. Solskjaer has no regrets about the decision as his fresh front line starts to deliver

United are currently on a 16-game unbeaten run in all competitions as they push for a top-four finish in the Premier League as well as success in the FA Cup and Europa League.

They are also producing some of their best attacking football since Sir Alex Ferguson retired with Anthony Martial, Marcus Rashford and Mason Greenwood scoring 55 goals between them.

Asked if the team's current form vindicated decisions last summer that could have made him unpopular, like not signing a recognised No 9 to replace Lukaku, Solskjaer said: 'This isn't a popularity contest that's for sure. I've got to make decisions I think are for the benefit of the club.

'The decisions we made last summer and in January, bringing players in and allowing players to move on, in my mind they were always for the good of the club and the team both in giving youngsters a chance and trust to the other ones, accepting that some players have been great servants to the club.

'I would still make the same decision if I can go back six or 12 months.'

Solskjaer has named the same line-up for the last three league games but says all the players will be needed in the coming weeks as United challenge on three fronts.

'There aren't many that haven't played in the last two weeks,' he added. 'There are so many games, they all know they're fit, available and valued. That's important for us if it's coming on for half an hour or 45 minutes, it's not an issue,

'There are so many things to play for – FA Cup, Europa League, the top three or four positions in the league. The group is very tight-knit and they know they have got a part to play.'

Scott McTominay has lost his place in midfield to Nemanja Matic, who signed a new contract at United earlier this week.

However, Solskjaer insists that both players understand the situation and accept there will be times when they are out of the side.

'Scott is still a young boy, seven or eight years younger than Nemanja,' added the United manager. 'Nemanja has been on record saying how much he can see himself in Scott. They can bounce off each other, but it's never easy.

'So many times I've said to Nemanja 'I'm playing Scott today' and he accepts it and the other way around. They accept it. They can play together and I'm sure Scotty will learn from Nemanja. The attributes and way he's gone about his job has been great.'

Nemanja Matic has moved back ahead of Scott McTominay in United's central midfield

Solskjaer also paid tribute to David de Gea who will compete a decade of service at United next summer.

The Spaniard has come in for some criticism recently, but Solskjaer believes his goalkeeping coaches Richard Hartis and Craig Mawson can bring out the best in De Gea.

'David has had some fantastic seasons here and next year is his 10th,' said Solskjaer. 'He's proven (former United goalkeeper coach) Eric Steele right that we believed in him.

'He had a tough ride early on with the physicality in England but he's been the best goalkeeper in the world for the last nine or 10 years, and he's still keen to learn.

'Richard and Craig have reignited a little bit of spark in David and he's working really hard in training.'

Code:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8501815/Ole-Gunnar-Solskjaer-feels-vindicated-decision-let-Lukaku-Sanchez-leave.html
Old 09-07-2020, 10:27 AM   #129
zudomiriku
Happy New Year 2023

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer reveals players' code on Zoom and WhatsApp was key to Manchester United stars avoiding coming back overweight as they hit the ground running post-lockdown in search of Champions League spot

* Manchester United have impressed since football returned under Project Restart
* Ole Gunnar Solskjaer explained how the players' code was key to their success
* A determination to stay in peak condition has been a topic of conversation
* Players have actively kept in touch on Zoom and WhatsApp during the time off

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has credited a players' code for keeping his Manchester United squad fit during lockdown because they wouldn't tolerate one of their team-mates coming back out of shape.

United have continued a fine run of form after the restart, extending their unbeaten record to 16 games in all competitions ahead of Thursday's visit to Aston Villa.

Solskjaer believes that is testament to the players' professionalism during the three-month shutdown when they followed individual training programmes at home, and he revealed that the squad don't want to let each other down by failing to meet the high standards set.

Manchester United's players' code has been key to their success, says Ole Gunnar Solskjaer. The United boss said players have not wanted to let team-mates down with their conditioning

'We started the season really well after a good break and they had worked well in pre-season,' said Solskjaer. 'Then we did well after the mid-season break in February, and now we've done well after this lockdown.

'We do have a group that I feel can trust. They look after themselves, they stay together on Zoom calls and WhatsApp groups, and they demand of each other because if one or two let themselves down they let the team down.

'I feel very happy with the culture in that group. They're good lads and they're not going to come back 15kg overweight because those days are over.'

United have looked sharp since football returned and the days of overweight stars is 'over'. Solskjaer's side are desperately chasing Champions League finish and are well positioned

It's unlikely that will be a problem this year anyway with United set to have a very short break in between this season and the new one.

Solskjaer's side will complete their Premier League campaign at Leicester on July 26, and could yet feature in the FA Cup final on August 1.

They will then return to Europa League action with the final of the rescheduled competition taking place in Cologne on August 21 - potentially leaving just a few weeks before the end of this season and the start of the 2020-21 campaign in September.

Players' contracts stipulate they are due three weeks' continuous holiday but that may not be the case in these exceptional circumstances, and the United boss admits he will have to manage the fitness of his squad carefully.

'It's going to be an interesting break, or not break even,' added Solskjaer. 'It depends on how far we get through in the Europa League, of course, then it's the international break after that.

'We're not in a position to give the players the holiday they need and deserve. We'll probably have to give that during the season or next season.

'We've got to find gaps, rotate and give them a week off. It's going to be more important than ever that we look after the players and rotate, and we have a strong squad, definitely.

'Hopefully we can challenge. If we get into the Champions League, of course that makes it even harder. It's a delicate one and when are you going to give them time? They need a mental and physical break.

Code:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8504043/Man-United-boss-Ole-Gunnar-Solskjaer-reveals-players-code-key-hitting-ground-running.html
Old 20-07-2020, 10:00 AM   #130
zudomiriku
Happy New Year 2023

Manchester United do not have enough match winners to rotate how Ole Gunnar Solskjaer did... this was a SERIOUS misstep by the young United manager with his team hesitant, one-paced and lacking in creativity against Chelsea

* Manchester United appeared to have turned towards a brighter future recently
* But the United that existed in August reared its head once again at Wembley
* It is hard not to feel sorry for David De Gea who should have left a long time ago

This was like watching the Manchester United that existed prior to the arrival of Bruno Fernandes and the emergence of Mason Greenwood.

Hesitant, one-paced and lacking in creativity. How strange that this version of Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's United should be allowed to show itself again just when a corner towards a brighter, more recognisable future appeared to have been turned.

Solskjaer, the United manager, undoubtedly played his own part in this enormous backward step. Clearly picking his team with two final Premier League games in mind, would Solskjaer have left out Greenwood, Anthony Martial and Paul Pogba had he known his club's main rivals for the top four, Leicester City, were about to lose heavily at Tottenham just before this game kicked off?

Man United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer played his own part in this enormous backward step. The Norwegian's side looked hesitant, one-paced and lacking in creativity against Chelsea

It seems inconceivable that he would have but the fact remains that he should not have selected this team anyway. His United team has been running hot recently on the back of consistency of selection and the sheer menace of his front three.

To leave two of them out for this game was simply unnecessary. In doing so he essentially took them right back to where they were last autumn and for that folly Solskjaer has paid a heavy price.

David de Gea's personal horror show was fundamental to this defeat and it's impossible not to feel sorry for a goalkeeper who should have left the club years ago. Chelsea's first goal – superbly taken by Olivier Giroud – may have been a De Gea mistake.

To leave Anthony Martial and Mason Greenwood out of the starting XI was unnecessary. Paul Pogba and his team-mates have been running hot on the back of consistency of selection

Their second, scored by Mason Mount, most certainly was and it's hard to know who will feel worse this morning, De Gea or the Sheffield United manager Chris Wilder.

United's long-term De Gea replacement is Dean Henderson, currently on loan at Bramall Lane. Wilder will doubtless be preparing to spend this week with his phone turned off.

But this was a United no-show that had its roots in something much deeper than one man's errors, namely that Solskjaer's squad is not yet good enough to cope with the changes he forced upon them here. He does not have enough match winners to rotate like this and as such this was a serious misstep by the young United manager.

Their recent progress has been startling but Solskjaer's decision to leave his most potent weapons on the bench left them looking a little naked. Chelsea manager Frank Lampard must have received the United team sheet with enthusiasm and this was a game that his side dictated from the first moment.

David de Gea's personal horror show was fundamental to this defeat and he should leave

Management can be complicated but some things should not be. Pick your best team for the big games is one way of keeping things simple. It was because Sir Alex Ferguson used to do that so often that Solskjaer's own United career featured so many substitute appearances. There were some very good centre forwards in Ferguson's team in the late 1990s and Solskjaer was never really allowed to get past them.

Here at Wembley, Solskjaer went back to players like Daniel James, Eric Bailly and the midfielder Fred. James had started only one game since lockdown, Fred only one since Pogba was judged match fit again while Bailly has started only one Premier League all season. So why play them in this game? It made little sense at all and to have a chance in the game, United probably needed to score first.

That at least would have given them something to hold on to. What was certain was that this side was never going to dominate the ball against a Chelsea side that was technically superior. For Lampard's team, young Mount was impressive while Giroud enjoyed himself in a competition that enjoys playing in.

But more importantly, Chelsea just looked like a team that knew what it was doing. There has been a straight forwardness about Lampard's management this season that has been impressive.

Unlike previous Chelsea managers Maurizio Sarri and Antonio Conte, there has been nothing mysterious or overly clever about Lampard's methods. Largely, he has picked players in their accustomed positions and adopted a system that suits them. It has not always been perfect but Chelsea have slowly evolved along a line that has been pretty clear from the outset of the season.

Now Lampard has a final as a reward and if that is accompanied by a place in the Champions League next season then he will not have asked for more from his first campaign as manager.

Chelsea's players will have woken this morning still surprised at how straight forward this was, how simple United made it for them. As for Solskjaer, he will be troubled by one salient fact. It's only West Ham at home on Wednesday.

Code:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8538983/Manchester-United-not-match-winners-rotate-Ole-Gunnar-Solskjaer-did.html

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 25
Andi Istiabudi, andiancha, an_setanmerah, Blacklist7, dhodoadrian, Eka Laksana S, fahlevysred, fikrirf, fredrian.seven, Gilangkukuh, goodmin, h-ANG, juliand_fergie, kedangsul, Legolash, penk22_, Rendi Pardi, rio vander vidic, Riskur, ronald hars, steve.crowford, tumpal_oneunited, zudomiriku, Zulfan