United Indonesia - Manchester United Indonesia Supporters Club
Register
Go Back   United Indonesia - Manchester United Indonesia Supporters Club > INSIDE MANCHESTER UNITED > United History

Old 06-02-2018, 03:34 PM   #91
Andi Istiabudi
manager
Youtube: Andi Istiabudi

Thanked 2,334 Times in 1,748 Posts
Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Andi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to behold

Default Re: Munich Tragedy 6 February 1958, Gone But Not Forgotten

SIR ALEX'S TRIBUTE TO THE BUSBY BABES

Manchester United will come together on Tuesday afternoon to pay tribute to those affected by the Munich Air Disaster on the 60th anniversary of the tragedy.

On 6 February 1958, 23 people – including eight United players and three club officials – were fatally injured when the plane taking them home from Belgrade crashed after refuelling in Germany.

Six decades on, Sir Alex Ferguson will be among those in attendance at a commemorative service inside Old Trafford to remember the victims.

Ahead of this year's significant anniversary, the former manager spoke exclusively to United Review to give a heartfelt personal account of how the tragedy affected him and to share his thoughts on the legacy of Sir Matt Busby's great young team, the Busby Babes.

“On the day of the Munich Air Disaster, I was in the library studying for my exams," recalled Sir Alex. "I used to train two or three nights a week with Queen’s Park, so after I’d finished my work I went along to the training ground, but when I arrived, people were crying. These were grown men. There was a lot of sorrow in the dressing room, so much so that they cancelled training that night. It was a really emotional time for anybody who was a football fan. I’m sure the whole public in Manchester felt that way, and Matt Busby carried great resonance for the people in Scotland, so it was keenly felt up there, too.

"I’d seen Manchester United play in the Coronation Cup in 1953. It was held in Glasgow to mark the Queen’s coronation, and it featured four English teams and four Scottish teams. I went to watch United against Rangers. The bulk of the United side was made of the remnants of the 1948 FA Cup-winning team – the likes of Jack Rowley, Stan Pearson, Jack Crompton – but at outside-left there was Roger Byrne, and soon the team was full of young players like Roger.

"Not long after that, not only were you drawn to the fact that Matt Busby was manager, you were attracted to the fact that the Busby Babes were suddenly in the semi-finals of the European Cup against Real Madrid. They didn’t disgrace themselves at all, either; they were absolutely brilliant, and that was their first experience of Europe.

"The philosophy and belief of producing young players to play for Manchester United was a big thing at the time. The team which won the 1948 FA Cup final was mature, there were no kids in there, but seven years later Matt and Jimmy Murphy had a formation of all these young players playing together. It takes a brave person to do that. You’re in an industry where it’s all about the results, and that’s why most managers have to rely on their first team to keep them in a job, and there’s absolutely no compunction about that; it’s a fact of life. To build a football club through young people is the braver thing to do, and actually it’s the correct thing to do because once you’ve got a foundation, then you can rely on that for a few years.

"Matt never spoke to me about Munich, but he spoke about Duncan Edwards, David Pegg, Eddie Colman and all the boys who passed away. The one who did speak a lot about it was Jimmy Murphy. Jimmy did a bit of scouting for me and he always spoke very openly about the Babes. He always had a tear in his eye by the end of the discussion because he was a very emotional guy.

"While I was Manchester United manager, the Babes were always a reference point for us, in terms of having belief and trust in what young players can do and building a loyalty base from there. Not only that, the Babes made the history of Manchester United, without question. Okay, there had been the 1948 FA Cup and some success in the distant past, but actually the history which was made through that particular period of Matt playing those young players is really the history of Manchester United. A decade on, Matt won the European Cup while playing the same philosophy, using players who had been produced by the club, apart from Paddy Crerand and Alex Stepney [who had been transferred into the club]. It’s incredible.

"The Babes are what gives this club such a fantastic romance, in terms of how they played the game and how they generated this thread of youth throughout the club. The spirit of the club is created by all these young players, and that began back then."

www.manutd.com
Andi Istiabudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 03:36 PM   #92
Andi Istiabudi
manager

Andi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to behold

TELLING THE STORY OF MUNICH

Old Trafford will fall silent again on Tuesday afternoon to mark 60 years to the day since the Munich Air Disaster, a tragedy that eventually claimed the lives of 23 people including eight Manchester United players and three club officials.

The legacy of 6 February 1958 is still as strong and raw today as it was in the aftermath of the aviation accident. John Howson was a young United supporter at the time and long before the days of rolling 24-hour television news, he found himself being drawn to the stadium in search of more information after hearing initial reports of the crash on the radio.

Six decades later, the need to educate the next generation of United fans about Munich and its impact is as strong as ever. For his part in this, John took his great grandson Jayden on a tour of Old Trafford so the 11-year-old could learn more about the tragic events which have shaped the club’s modern history.

www.manutd.com

---------- Post added at 03:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:35 PM ----------

THE DARKEST DAY IN UNITED'S HISTORY

The date of 6 February will forever be circled on the calendars of everyone connected with Manchester United.

On that day in 1958, the darkest day in United's history, 23 people - including eight players and three members of the club's staff - suffered fatal injuries in the Munich Air Disaster.

The team had been travelling back from a European Cup tie against Red Star Belgrade when their aircraft stopped in Germany to refuel. The first two attempts to take off from Munich airport were aborted; following a third attempt, the plane crashed.

The eight players who perished were Geoff Bent (25), Roger Byrne (aged 28), Eddie Colman (21), Duncan Edwards (21), Mark Jones (24), David Pegg (22), Tommy Taylor (26) and Liam Whelan (22). Edwards, considered by many to be the finest player of his generation, died 15 days after the accident.

The three club officials who were killed were secretary Walter Crickmer, trainer Tom Curry and coach Bert Whalley. Eight journalists died - Alf Clarke, Donny Davies, George Follows, Tom Jackson, Archie Ledbrooke, Henry Rose, Eric Thompson and former Manchester City goalkeeper Frank Swift.

Aircraft captain Ken Rayment, fellow crew member Tom Cable, travel agent Bela Miklos and supporter Willie Satinoff, a friend of United manager Sir Matt Busby, were also victims of the terrible tragedy.

The Munich Air Disaster is an indelible part of United's history, as is Sir Matt overcoming his crash injuries to work alongside his assistant Jimmy Murphy and build another great team which won the European Cup 10 years later.

We will never forget.

www.manutd.com
Old 06-02-2018, 10:07 PM   #93
Andi Istiabudi
manager

HOW THE BUSBY BABES THRILLED US

The Manchester United team decimated in Munich on that fateful day in 1958 has become the subject of football folklore.

Here, on the 60th anniversary of the tragedy, we present the personal memories of three men who saw what made the Busby Babes so unique…

Ken Merrett, Manchester United club secretary from 1988 to 2007

"United were unquestionably the glamour team of the 1950s. Everyone knew all about them. I remember going to watch the European Cup tie against Athletic Bilbao at Maine Road in 1957, and that was just an incredible evening. United were 5-3 down from the first leg but won 3-0 in the second leg to go through. The atmosphere that night was unbelievable. The only thing I can compare it to was the famous Cup Winners' Cup tie at Old Trafford against Barcelona in 1984, when Bryan Robson scored twice and we came from behind to win 3-2 on aggregate.

"That night at Maine Road against Bilbao was on the same level. There were so many superb players in Sir Matt Busby’s team, it was a thrill to watch them. Tommy Taylor, Roger Byrne and Duncan Edwards were all England internationals, but there was an enormous buzz around the whole club at the time, not just the first team.

"I had a part-time job selling tea, coffee, Oxo, pies and so on at Old Trafford, and that wasn’t just for senior games; the club would ask me to come in for the Reserve team games as well, because there were so many fans coming along to watch, trying to spot the next stars coming through. I remember watching Alex Dawson, Mark Pearson and other lads in the Reserves, and then suddenly they were in the first team, replacing some of the players we had lost at Munich."

David Meek, Manchester Evening News football reporter from 1958 to 1995

"I remember going along to watch the Babes play and it was such a thrill, both in terms of the atmosphere and in terms of the football on show. We take floodlit football for granted nowadays, but back then it was new and exciting, and the players reflected this in the way they played the game. I think the crowd reflected it as well because they were eager to get involved in the match. It wasn’t just a group of bystanders; the United fans at this stage became quite passionate.

"I think the fans recognised that it was a special time. They possibly didn’t realise the depth of the revolution, but they certainly knew it was something new, and that all started with Manchester United. It was reflected by the fans who regarded it as a journey. It was the same for the players. I remember Bobby Charlton telling me: ‘You’ve got to remember that European football was a big adventure for the players. It was something new, that’s why we got so excited about it.’

"For me, Duncan Edwards was the face of the Babes. He was the outstanding individual player who really looked the part. He had a physique that was like a superman. He played like a superman. He was so young when all this was happening to him, but he took it in his stride. It’s unfair to just single out one player, though, because it wasn’t just Duncan. That Busby Babes team was symbolic of what Matt Busby was doing at Manchester United, creating his own players in the image of himself, to play as he wanted them to play. The whole team was brilliant. Bobby Charlton was just coming into prominence, Dennis Viollet was a key part of it, Eddie Colman – snakehips – was brilliant, and the whole team was fantastic.

"Apart from Berry, Gregg and Taylor, it was almost entirely a homegrown team and it had the kind of loyalty and dedication that you often get with homegrown teams. I think that was one of the factors that made Matt build his career around developing his own players. He spotted them, signed them, brought them up and he made them into footballers. It was just thrilling to witness that."

Ken Ramsden, Manchester United club secretary from 2007 to 2010

"The Busby Babes signified something new in football, because up to that point, football had been played by men who were older. Roger Byrne and Johnny Berry were slightly senior, but for the most part this was a very young team, full of of local boys, so you could identify with them. You also saw more of them around Manchester. They’d travel to matches by bus or even on bikes, they went into local shops, so you felt as if you knew them. My mother worked in the laundry room at the stadium, so during school holidays I’d go down to the ground to see if she was about so I could get in and get a drink. I’d often see the players because they trained there in those days. They were always around, just so full of life and full of football.

"The world we live in now, we’d be looking ahead to the end of this season, next season, two years on and so on, but back then you really did live for the moment and you just enjoyed what you saw. Of course, we might have enjoyed it even more if we knew it was going to be so short-lived, but it was widely recognised that it was the start of something new and unique."

www.manutd.com
Old 06-02-2018, 10:09 PM   #94
Andi Istiabudi
manager

UNITED ACADEMY PAY RESPECTS IN BELGRADE

Manchester United Academy staff are in Belgrade for Wednesday's UEFA Youth League tie against Brodarac and have visited the Hotel Majestic, where the Busby Babes stayed after their final match together against Red Star six decades ago.

Distinguished guests attended a reception on Monday evening, in the same room where Sir Matt Busby and his side had dinner after securing progress in the European Cup with a thrilling 3-3 draw.

The United squad signed the hotel menu on that fateful night in February 1958 and it is clear the venue still mourns their loss, 60 years after 23 people, including eight players, suffered fatal injuries when the plane taking them home crashed in Munich.

Vladica Popovic, now 82, played for Red Star in that historic match against United and was one of the VIPs at Monday's event, which featured emotional speeches from United Academy staff Tony Whelan and Dave Bushell. Another ex-Red Star man, Dan Tana, also a former owner of Brentford Football Club in London, spoke about his remarkable careers in football and the film industry. He chatted with the widow of the late United goalkeeper and coach Jack Crompton - Sheila is a special guest of the party that travelled from Manchester.

The Brodarac and United Under-19 squads were shown video footage of the Busby Babes in action and the youngsters learned more about the Munich Air Disaster by watching MUTV's acclaimed documentary. The Serbian players then handed gifts to their English counterparts, while Nicky Butt, the Reds' Head of Academy, presented framed photographs to Popovic and the club's hosts.

With club statistician Cliff Butler on hand to impart his remarkable knowledge, it was a special occasion and one that illustrated the great respect in which the Reds are held in his particular part of the world, with more events planned on Tuesday.

www.manutd.com
Old 07-02-2018, 06:08 AM   #95
Andi Istiabudi
manager

CARRICK: A FITTING AND BEAUTIFUL SERVICE

Manchester United club captain Michael Carrick has described the ceremony at Old Trafford to mark 60 years since the Munich Air Disaster as a "very fitting and beautiful service".

The Reds skipper joined manager Jose Mourinho in laying a wreath on stage following readings from Sir Alex Ferguson, executive vice chairman Ed Woodward and club director Michael Edelson.

Carrick spoke to MUTV after a highly emotional event and talked about how special it was for everyone concerned.

"It was very fitting, a beautiful service - powerful and emotional," he admitted. "For me, it was emotional sitting next to Sir Bobby [Charlton] and trying to come to terms with what he's been through and what was going through his mind. It was tough but a pleasure to be part of it and as I said I thought it was very fitting.

"When I came to the club I was aware of it [the disaster], I'd heard the stories and my Dad had told me about it, but it wasn't until I came to the club that you have that feeling of what it means to everyone here and how important it is.

"Today was very powerful and for the younger lads and for the lads who haven't been at the club too long it's huge," he added. "It's great that everyone could be here together today because we're all in it together, it's what makes this great club so special. It was such a tragic event and a very sad event, but it's commemorated in such a great way and that carries on year after year and always will."

www.manutd.com
Old 08-02-2018, 05:29 AM   #96
Andi Istiabudi
manager

HOW WE REMEMBERED MUNICH

It was an emotional day for everyone connected to Manchester United on Tuesday as the club marked the 60th anniversary of the Munich Air Disaster.

Old Trafford staged a special ceremony which was attended by Reds legends including Sir Bobby Charlton, Harry Gregg and former manager Sir Alex Ferguson as well as Jose Mourinho and his first-team squad, United staff and thousands of supporters who gathered in the East Stand.

The service led by club chaplain Reverend John Boyers featured a performance by the Manchester United Foundation choir, readings and prayers and a minute's silence in memory of the 23 people who lost their lives in the 1958 tragedy.

www.manutd.com
Old 29-01-2019, 09:26 PM   #97
Andi Istiabudi
manager

HOW MUNICH WILL BE REMEMBERED TONIGHT

The Munich Air Disaster, the darkest day in the history of Manchester United, will be commemorated before this evening's Premier League game against Burnley at Old Trafford - the home fixture that falls closest to the anniversary, 6 February.

Tributes to the 23 people who suffered fatal injuries in the 1958 plane crash will include the United players wearing black armbands, while a giant banner showing the 'Busby Babes' side lining up for their final match before the tragedy will be passed across the Stretford End as tonight's teams take to the field.

Families of the victims, who included eight United players and three officials, will attend the game as guests of the club.

Meanwhile, supporters will gather under the Munich memorial plaque and clock on the stadium's main forecourt, for a ceremony led by Rev. John Boyers that will be a mixture of poems, songs and prayers, including the famous folk song, The Flowers of Manchester. The ceremony is led by the fans behind the munich58.co.uk website and is due to start at 18:30 GMT this evening.

A moment of reflection will be observed shortly before kick-off at 20:00 GMT, not only in remembrance for Munich but also as a mark of respect for the Cardiff City player Emiliano Sala and pilot David Ibbotson, whose plane went missing while en route from Nantes to South Wales last week.

You can learn more about the tragic events of 6 February 1958 by visiting www.manutd.com/munich.

www.manutd.com
Old 05-02-2019, 02:25 PM   #98
Andi Istiabudi
manager

There will be a #FlowersOfManchester gathering by the East Stand memorial at Old Trafford on Wednesday to remember those we lost in the Munich Air Disaster. All are welcome to attend from 14:45 GMT.

Old 08-02-2019, 06:19 AM   #99
Andi Istiabudi
manager

Old 08-02-2019, 01:09 PM   #100
Andi Istiabudi
manager

MUNICH STREET SIGN ADDED TO UNITED MUSEUM

There is a corner of Munich that will forever be Manchester. It’s a small square in the Trudering area of the Bavarian city, close to where flight BEA 609 crashed and came to rest that fateful afternoon of 6 February 1958, a place known as Manchesterplatz.

The small square was given the name when a permanent memorial was placed on the site in September 2004, unveiled in a ceremony attended by Sir Bobby Charlton and other Manchester United officials, plus Karl-Heinz Rummenigge and representatives of Bayern Munich.

The monument is a football pitch etched with the names of the 23 people who lost their lives – including eight players and three United staff – and has a plaque thanking the people of Munich for their care and support in the immediate aftermath and years since the tragic accident.

Earlier this month, members of the Manchester Munich Memorial Foundation, a supporter-run charity dedicated to preserving the memory of the Busby Babes, presented the original Manchesterplatz street sign to the club. Given to them by the Bayern fan group, the Munich Red Docs, at a fundraising event last year, the decision was taken that the gift, being for all United fans, be passed on to the club.

MMMF directors Pat Burns and Tony Crook handed the sign over to curator of the club’s museum, Mark Wylie (pictured), and it is now on display in the club museum.

A new sign is in place in the square in Trudering, where many supporters are expected to visit once again today on the 61st anniversary of the crash.

www.manutd.com

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 135
@edosarag1h, Aba_MaczUnited, Abdul Fattah Hudari, adaastopa5922, adittelor, adiwena1808, adrieee, akbar15, aldo_twinz, anakautiz, Andi Istiabudi, andiancha, andluthfi, andy kurniawan, angga_aspari, annetapitt5084, Aprian0, arianda nugroho, Aris Yohanes, ariz_uicp, astutisukaryan, azisfirdaus, bahul20, bakkaikaa, banadegea, Baringbing, bbobbyitta5057, beckz_on7, Blacklist7, bombom, braausasda9593, Budigool, Bulma, chicharito07, copoholic, Deddy Hernandez, De_Silvia, diansyah_crut, dickclitz, dudut, dwikies, dyan_giggs, ecly_watchaa, eMJi_197, entongadit, erditama, eross tanto, eyangeyang, fadilbedil, fajrinited, Febribule, febza, fey777, finza_13, frmnsyh_KEANO, genaromazaki, gerryneville, goodfron, Hamka Husain Pasonai, Hirzan Ramadhan, HolyGS, hwstars94, id4y, indraaveiro, IrwanGGMU, jehnzhulze7993, jifortin, jojo poenya, jonipauli, joule27, khalikdarling, kingherooney, leo aryo, lucky2901, Lucky_Cantona007, M Nur Wahyudi, marvey, mika jhonny, moehfar, mygalzbiatch, namaku-iir, Nanda Vukanovic Mufc, nebuchad, ocki_26, oldark, ongen Vidic, Peace_Devils, penk22_, Prianto United, rasyidrdh, Rean, Redsbusby, Reza_45, ricky_cleverley, rio vander vidic, Riskur, rizal_doda, ronald hars, Ryan Smith, RyanRezha, Ryan_lallo, schizo, sellamanyaunited, sepatu_ancur, Sir Busby Ferguson, smile_boy, SR 7, Syarifeghy, Tenx, toge, TomClare, tumpal_oneunited, Ucup Carrick, udhetewur, UNITED1878, united7, vankyoet, vanquish, VanTagraM, Wengge Schmeichel, whyjakjr, wildsfire, wira_ozora, xkeiszglf34, YangKatanya, Yudhahduy, zeavhere, Zee de Wazza, zudomiriku, [skywalker]