United Indonesia - Manchester United Indonesia Supporters Club
Register
Go Back   United Indonesia - Manchester United Indonesia Supporters Club > INSIDE MANCHESTER UNITED > United Crew > Ex United

Old 09-05-2010, 08:18 AM   #1
rondwisan
udah sebelas yaa :)

Thanked 4,736 Times in 2,701 Posts
Mentioned: 567 Post(s)
rondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond repute
Visit rondwisan's Facebook Visit rondwisan's Twitter
Default Arthur Albiston

“Let’s not underestimate the other teams. They are very good teams and there are a lot of games to play before the end of the season. We’re in a good position. But that means nothing if you don’t win the next game.” - Dimitar Berbatov
rondwisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:26 AM   #2
rondwisan

rondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Arthur Albiston

Interview w/ Mark Graham (mufcinfo.com)

Hello Arthur & thanks for taking the time to talk to mufcinfo.com, where were you actually born?
I was born in a suburb of Edinburgh.

And how did you get into professional football?
It started when I played for my normal school & progressed from there really, I played after school for Edinburgh School boys, where I actually ended up playing against Gordon Strachan, little did we know we both would end up playing for United.

After that I was spotted by United scouts playing for Scotland schoolboys, Jimmy Murphy & John Aston Snr were involved in signing me & after a trail over the Easter holidays in 1972, I must have done something right because shortly after, I then found myself around a table at my parents house with United representatives, completing forms to join Manchester United!!.

Have you always played as a full back?
Early in my career playing in some trails It was decided by a coach that I wasn't tall enough to be a centre half & I was moved out wide making the switch to full back.

So why a defender then?
I just decided with everyone wanting to take the glamour position of a striker, id be different.

Signed as a trainee as we touched on earlier in July 1972, can you give us an insight as to what it was like as an footballing apprentice back then?

I can recall the very early days joining the club Norman Davies (United's kitman), rest his soul, picked me up from Manchester Airport in a Taxi, he was the 1st person I met after joining the club. We all just mucked in together, it was hard being away from home.

I can remember He (Norman) used to lug all the training gear around in his taxi, making loads of journeys due to where our old training ground was, and that was how he ended up with the kitmans job after a senior United man decided.

Apparently Wesley Brown used to clean Eric Cantona's boots as an apprentice, did you clean any Legends boots as a young United nipper?
I did clean boots, but you didn't really get assigned to one player, everyone did their bit to help out, moving balls about & other training gear. It was quite an experience seeing players in the flesh like Jim Holton, Macari, Buchan etc, who were all players that id only a few years back only watched in the National team at Hampden Park on TV.

You made your United debut on the 09/10/1974 v Manchester City @ Old Trafford, i'll put you on the spot now, score & scorer?
It was 1-0 to United, a penalty, Gerry Daly?.

correct, what was the story of how you made your full debut?
I was actually scheduled to play for the U18's & I was suddenly pulled out due to Stewart Houston picking up an injury, my Dad ended up coming to watch me play.

Your 1st senior goal?
It was against Manchester City, September 1980 in a 2-2 draw.

Could you tell us a little about 1st occasion of playing at Old Trafford?
It didn't dawn on me just how much of a big club United was until I'd arrived. I was something else to see all the crowd & then to think that I would be playing alongside and against great players.

Who did you room with on away trips?
It did vary, so there was no set partner, Gordon Strachan later in my career, a few come to mind, Jimmy Nicholl, Joe Jordan, in the end I was partnered with some of the younger players.

To keep an eye on them, keep them on the straight & narrow?
laughs.. I guess.

“Let’s not underestimate the other teams. They are very good teams and there are a lot of games to play before the end of the season. We’re in a good position. But that means nothing if you don’t win the next game.” - Dimitar Berbatov
Old 09-05-2010, 08:35 AM   #3
rondwisan

Default Re: Arthur Albiston

Who was the greatest player you ever played against?
Played for Ajax, a winger called Johnny Rep (left), that would be my 1st choice, he scored the winner for that great Ajax team in the European cup in the early seventies, Boniek the midfielder who played for Juventus in the eighties.

Polish, Ginger haired guy, yes, I remember as a young kid when we collected the Panini football stickers, he played in the same team as Platini & Paulo Rossi
that's right yeah, Trevor Steven the Everton midfielder was also a great player, he was hard to track & play against, would pop up all over & I remember losing him on occasion when Everton had that hoodoo over is.

Under the four managers you played under at United, can you just touch on their approach to management?
Tommy Docherty was the one that gave me my chance, very knowledgeable, Tommy he will probably be in his eighties now, Dave Sexton was a really genuine nice guy, very methodical approach.

Then if there was someone who gave off a persona of someone that he really wasn't then that was Ron Atkinson, Ron gave you the "Champagne Charlie look, with the flash jewellery & sunglasses etc, but he wasn't like that at all, another knowledgeable manager with a real eye for detail.

When we talked about Platini earlier, he was telling me to especially look out for his raking balls behind me playing in & I was thinking "Jesus" as he caught me out, a real eye for detail.

And another great eye for the detail & knowledge was Alex Ferguson, fantastic eye for spotting things.

Your Best United moment?.
The FA Cup wins of 77, 83 & 85, its always special when you win a major honour.

Your Worst United moment?.
An own goal in 2-2 draw against City & the City fans they were singing my name to take the pi*s a few weeks later.

Was it true Arthur you offered your 1977 FA Cup medal to Stewart Houston?
Yes, genuinely to be honest the whole thing for me was a very humbling experience, I didn't feel right playing, Stewart broke his ankle & that was the reason I played, He had played in several if not all the games in the build up and scored scored against Villa in the Quarter Final

I believe Tommy Docherty arranged with the FA to have a medal made for Stewart, but yes it was something I felt he deserve to be playing & I was put into a undeserving position.

7 career goals Arthur, any stick out to you as the favourite?
It has to be the last minute winner against Liverpool at Anfield.

Did you have any grounds you liked to visit away from Old Trafford?
I loved the smaller grounds, like the Dell & West Ham, places where if you took a throw-in, the fans could spit at you, real intimidating grounds to go to, for me it work the other way as it fired you up & got you going, the team spirit was "comon we can do these guys".

It also helped to know that the away fans were well out numbered & it spurred you on to try & get something not just for yourself or the team but for the away section of our support aswell.

A few years back in a pre season tour you played the Somerset County Cricket Team in a Friendly can you remember your unusual team mates?
Did we play the Bermuda National team?, Gary Walsh got a head injury & had to come off, quite a bad one and Archie Knox wasn't too happy and was wanting to kill the person who tackled Gary, it set Gary back quite a bit that injury, he got a kick right on the top of his head. It was a really tense game.

Archie actually ended up on the score sheet as United won 4-1, and what about the other player on your team, came on as a sub for Peter Davenport?
No (shakes his head).

It was Alex Ferguson, he came on for Davenport?
Did he? I cant remember that.

There isn't that much about it on the net either really, someone put that question up on our website forum and I looked in the collection of yearbooks I had, 1988 yearbook it was Tuesday 1st December, a tiny crowd of 2K.

Working for MUTV have you any tips for the next youth star to break into the 1st team?

Kiko Macheda looks a good bet to get more 1st team action & I like the look of Josh King, Will Keane has also had a great season a striker.

And what is Arthur Albiston doing at the moment, any other players ive interviewed tell me your a great golfer?
laughs.....Clayton Blackmore is better than me, I play at a 4, Clayton plays a 2.

I've worked as a coach with some of the younger players the U15's for a few years & also work for Local Manchester Radio aswell as MUTV.

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 1
Trezz Kiko