United Indonesia - Manchester United Indonesia Supporters Club
Register
Go Back   United Indonesia - Manchester United Indonesia Supporters Club > OUTSIDE UNITED > General Football > Football History

Old 06-01-2014, 03:10 PM   #1
zudomiriku
Happy New Year 2023

Thanked 1,785 Times in 921 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
zudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond repute
Default [LEGEND] Eusebio

Football loses a legend: Portugal hero Eusebio - one of the true greats of the game - dies at the age of 71

Portuguese football legend Eusebio has died at the age of 71.

The forward scored an incredible 473 goals in 440 matches for Benfica, the Portuguese giants with whom he spent most of his career and won the European Cup in 1962.

He also scored 41 goals in 64 appearances for the Portugal national team, helping them to third place in the 1966 World Cup in England - a tournament in which he was top goalscorer with nine goals.

He memorably scored four goals in the 5-3 quarter-final win over North Korea at Goodison Park.

Legend: Eusebio has passed away at the age of 71

Memorable tournament: Eusebio scores one of his four goals against North Korea in the 1966 World Cup quarter-final at Goodison Park

Display: Eusebio's coffin arrives at Benfica's Luz Stadium to be displayed in a chapel of rest on Sunday evening

Tribute: Fans flock to Benfica's stadium to pay tribute to the Portugal legend who died on Sunday

A spokesman for Benfica said: 'We have just received confirmation of the death of Eusebio. It's a very sad day for all of us.'

The club were unable to confirm details of Eusebio's death but reports in Portugal say he died of a cardiac arrest in the early hours of Sunday morning.

He had been in poor health for some time and was hospitalised during Euro 2012 after suffering a heart scare in Poland.

Quote:
EUSEBIO'S HONOURS
BENFICA
Portuguese League

1960-1961, 1962-1963, 1963-1964, 1964-1965, 1966-1967, 1967-1968, 1968-1969, 1970-1971, 1971-1972, 1972-1973, 1974-1975

Portuguese Cup
1962, 1964, 1969, 1970, 1972

European Cup

PORTUGAL
World Cup third place

INDIVIDUAL
European Footballer of the Year

European Footballer of the Year runner-up
1962, 1966

European Golden Boot
1968, 1973

European Cup top scorer
1965, 1966, 1968

FIFA World Cup Golden Boot

Portuguese League top scorer
1964, 1965, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1970, 1973

Legends united: Eusebio with Bobby Moore in 1980

Real Madrid confirmed they will hold a minute's silence at the Bernabeu ahead of Monday's league clash with Celta Vigo and that their players will wear black armbands in respect to Eusebio, with coach Carlo Ancelotti paying his respects in his pre-match press conference.

'It's very sad news,' he said. 'We want to send our best wishes to his family and his friends.'

Hundreds of Benfica supporters paid their final respects to the player at the Estadio da Luz on Sunday evening after his coffin was presented at the home of the Portuguese club.

Nicknamed the Black Panther, Eusebio da Silva Ferreira was famed for his speed, technique and a fearsome right-foot shot that earned him 733 goals in 745 competitive matches in his career.

He is widely considered to be one of the best players to ever grace a football pitch.

Eusebio won the Ballon d'Or in 1965 and was runner-up in 1962 and 1966.
At Benfica, he helped them to 11 Portuguese League titles and five Cups, as well as establishing them as a major European force.

In 1962, he scored twice in a remarkable 5-3 win over the all-conquering Real Madrid in the final in Amsterdam.

However, his three other appearances in the European Cup final ended in defeat.

In 1963, he scored but Benfica lost 2-1 to AC Milan at Wembley; in 1965, Internazionale beat them 1-0 in the San Siro; and in 1968, Matt Busby's Manchester United won 4-1 in extra time at Wembley.

He played his last match for Benfica in 1975 and played out his career largely in the North American Soccer League (NASL) before finally hanging up his boots in 1980.

Disappointment: Eusebio walks from the Wembley pitch after England eliminated Portugal following a 2-1 win

Current Portuguese hero Cristiano Ronaldo led the tributes, tweeting a picture of the pair and writing 'Always eternal #Eusebio , rest in peace.'

Another former Portugal star, Luis Figo, also tweeted a picture with Eusebio and called him 'the King!'

Quote:
Luís Figo ✔
@LuisFigo
The king!! Grande perda para todos nos! O mais grande!!

Tribute: Manchester United posted this on their Instagram account

Winners: With Sir Bobby Charlton and the European Cup outside Old Trafford in 2003

Legends past and present: Eusebio presents Cristiano Ronaldo with an award to mark his 50th cap for Portugal in 2007

Tribute: The Eusebio statue outside the Estadio da Luz, home of Benfica

Quote:
'Eusebio was one of the finest players I had the privilege to play against. Not only that, he was a true sportsman, as he proved in applauding Alex Stepney for his save in the 1968 European Cup final. His goals record is incredible and stands the test of time. I met him on many occasions after our playing careers had finished and he always represented his club and his country in exemplary fashion. I feel proud to have been both an opponent and friend.'

SIR BOBBY CHARLTON
Manchester United and England

Club legend: Eusebio spent 15 years with Portuguese giants Benfica, winning 11 league titles and the European Cup

At 15, he was spotted by a Juventus scout and offered youth terms in Italy, but his mum Elisa didn't want him to move.

Having moved to Lisbon in his late teens, Eusebio joined Benfica at the age of 18 but the decision was controversial.

Sporting Clube de Lourenco Marques in Mozambique were the feeder club of Sporting Lisbon, Benfica's great rivals, and they believed Eusebio had been illegally approached.

While the transfer upheaval died down, Eusebio was hidden in the Algarve by Benfica under a pseudonym.

His talent was well documented and Sporting were understandably disappointed to miss out on a young player who could run 100m in 11 seconds and possessed an almighty shot.

Eusebio's Benfica debut came on June 1, 1961 against Vitoria Setubal in the Portuguese Cup and he scored and missed a penalty (one of just five he missed in his career) in a 4-1 defeat.

His breakthrough season came in 1961-1962: although Benfica would come only third in the league, he scored twice in the final of the Cup against Setubal.

His first full season as a professional was capped with a European Cup triumph as he scored twice in a 5-3 win over Real Madrid in the Amsterdam final.

League success came easily for Benfica and they became a feared force in continental competition throughout the Sixties.

Eusebio reached three more European Cup finals, in 1963, 1965 and 1968, but would never add a second winners' medal.

In the dying seconds of the latter final with Manchester United, with the scores tied at 1-1, he was spectacularly denied in a one-on-one situation by goalkeeper Alex Stepney.

Instead of running back, Eusebio stood and applauded the save in a remarkable display of sportsmanship.

United went on to win 4-1 in extra time, becoming the first English side to win the European Cup, but Eusebio was warm in his praise of Stepney.

Quote:
STEPNEY PAYS TRIBUTE

Former Manchester United goalkeeper Alex Stepney has paid tribute to Eusebio.

'It wasn't like I got a clear view of what he did at the time,' recalled Stepney. 'There was not long left in the game and I was fully focused on it.

'I made the save and out of the corner of my eye I saw him still standing in front of me. It was only afterwards that I saw what he had done.

'The fact he was standing there clapping before running away is a mark of the man.

'He respected anything we did - and I would like to think it was the same the other way round.'

During this time, he won a string of individual honours, including the Ballon d'Or for European Footballer of the Year in 1965 and the European Golden Boot in 1968 and 1973.

His last appearance for Benfica came on June 18, 1975.

Eusebio spent the twilight of his career in the North American Soccer League with the Boston Minutemen, Toronto Metros-Croatia and Las Vegas Quicksilvers, interspersed with spells at other clubs in Portugal and Mexico.

Internationally, Eusebio scored 41 goals in 64 matches - a record that stood until Pauleta surpassed it in October 2005.

Heroes: With Gordon Banks and Bobby Charlton at Banks's Testimonial match between Stoke and Manchester United in 1973

Legends: With Brazilian great Pele at the draw for Euro 2004

His Portugal debut came on October 8, 1961 against Luxembourg, a match they lost 4-2 despite a Eusebio goal.

English fans of a certain age will remember his brilliance at the 1966 World Cup, as his nine goals guided Portugal to third place.

Trailing 3-0 at Goodison Park to North Korea in the quarter-final, Eusebio scored four times to rescue a 5-3 win.

Despite scoring a late penalty, Eusebio's World Cup dream was ended by England and he famously walked off the Wembley field in tears.

Quote:
EUSEBIO'S CAREER SCORING RECORD

Sporting de Lourenco Marques (1957-1960)
77 goals in 42 matches

Benfica (1960-1975)
473 goals in 440 matches

Boston Minutemen (1975)
Two goals in seven matches

Monterrey (1975-1976)
One goal in 10 matches

Toronto Metros-Croatia (1976)
18 goals in 25 matches

Beira-Mar (1976-1977)
Three goals in 12 matches

Las Vegas Quicksilvers (1977)
Two goals in 17 matches

Uniao de Tomar (1977-1978)
Three goals in 12 matches

New Jersey Americans (1978)
Five goals in four matches

Buffalo Stallions (indoor, 1979-1980)
One goal in five matches
Code:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2534038/Eusebio-dead-71.html
Old 06-01-2014, 03:19 PM   #2
jifortin
Korda Jepara
@UtdIndonesiaJAP

Mentioned: 171 Post(s)
jifortin is a name known to alljifortin is a name known to alljifortin is a name known to alljifortin is a name known to alljifortin is a name known to alljifortin is a name known to alljifortin is a name known to all
Visit jifortin's Twitter
Default Re: [LEGEND] Eusebio

Turut berduka cita gan
Old 06-01-2014, 03:57 PM   #3
Zee de Wazza
first team
Anonymous - UPC

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Zee de Wazza is just really niceZee de Wazza is just really niceZee de Wazza is just really niceZee de Wazza is just really nice
Visit Zee de Wazza's Facebook Visit Zee de Wazza's Twitter Zee Khalifa

I don't know much about him. But the records and history speak themself. Such a legend. RIP Eusebio
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Zee de Wazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:47 AM   #4
zudomiriku
Happy New Year 2023

zudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond repute

Tributes flood in for Eusebio: Scarves, flowers and shirts adorn statue of Portugal and Benfica hero after legend passes away

Hundreds of fans have made the pilgrimage to the statue of Eusebio outside Benfica's stadium in Lisbon to pay tribute to the Portugal legend who died on Sunday morning at the age of 71.

The football world was stunned and saddened when the news broke that the former Portugal and Benfica striker had passed away in the night following a heart attack.

And fans have been flocking to the statue on the walkway around the cto pay their last respects to man who defined an era in football.

Legend: hundreds of scarves, flags, flowers and shirts adorn the statue in Lison

Remembered: Fans light flares in tribute to Eusebio as his coffin arrives at the stadium in Lisbon

Respects: The funeral procession passed through the Lisbon streets with thousands there to watch

Centre stage: Eusebio's coffin was carried to the middle of the pitch in Lisbon

Death of a legend: You can barely see the statue under the sheer weight of scarves and other tributes

Solemn: Fans stop to applaud as the hearse carrying Eusebio arrives at the Estadio da Luz

Procession: Fans gather in the Estadio da Luz to pay their respects for one of Benfica's true greats

The forward scored an incredible 473 goals in 440 matches for Benfica, the Portuguese giants with whom he spent most of his career and won the European Cup in 1962.

He also scored 41 goals in 64 appearances for the Portugal national team, helping them to third place in the 1966 World Cup in England - a tournament in which he was top goalscorer with nine goals.

He memorably scored four goals in the 5-3 quarter-final win over North Korea at Goodison Park.

A spokesman for Benfica said: 'We have just received confirmation of the death of Eusebio. It's a very sad day for all of us.'

The club were unable to confirm details of Eusebio's death but reports in Portugal say he died of a cardiac arrest in the early hours of Sunday morning.

He had been in poor health for some time and was hospitalised during Euro 2012 after suffering a heart scare in Poland.

Quote:
Football reacts to Eusebio's death

'He's a man that doesn't belong to Benfica, doesn't belong to a club, he belongs to a country and I prefer to say that people like him are immortal, because their history and their legacy remains forever.'
Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho

'Football has lost a legend. But Eusebio's place among the greats will never be taken away.
FIFA president Sepp Blatter

'One of the greatest football players ever has passed away.'
Franz Beckenbauer

'We're saddened to hear Benfica legend Eusebio has passed away. He was a fantastic player and a friend of the club.'
Manchester United Football Club

'Sad news that Eusebio has passed away, he was a true legend, a fantastic ambassador to football, a gentleman to the core. R.I.P. Sir' Peter Schmeichel
'RIP Eusebio. A true footballing great who graced Goodison during the 66 World Cup. One of the finest players the world has seen.'
Everton Football Club

'Sad news that Eusebio has died. One of the greats of his generation. Could play and strike a ball like very few others. #RIP'
Gary Lineker

'Sad to hear that Eusébio has passed away. 733 goals in 745 appearances will always mark him down as a true legend of the game. R.I.P.'
Michael Owen
Code:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2534562/Eusebio-Tributes-Portugal-Benfica-legend.html
Old 10-01-2014, 04:09 PM   #5
zudomiriku
Happy New Year 2023

Tributes paid to Eusebio

The death of Eusebio on Sunday has robbed the football world of one of its greatest idols. Born in Mozambique, the Black Panther enjoyed an outstanding career, becoming Benfica’s leading all-time goalscorer and playing an inspirational part in Portugal’s third place finish at the 1966 FIFA World Cup England™.

An ambassador for Benfica and FIFA, the legendary striker died at the age of 71 as a result of heart failure, a sad loss that prompted many warm tributes to one of the game’s true greats. FIFA.com rounds up just some of the heartfelt reactions to his death.

“Football has lost a legend. Eusebio will always have a place among the very best. He was an ambassador of the game and of FIFA, and we will miss him. Rest in peace Black Panther,” FIFA President Joseph S. Blatter.

“Today football has lost one of its greatest players of all time. On the pitch Eusebio was a true legend, representing Portugal and Benfica. Off it he was a true global ambassador of Portuguese football. He was more than just a player though. A good and gentle person, Eusebio will be fondly remembered,” UEFA President Michel Platini.

“Portugal has lost one of its most dearly beloved sons, Eusebio da Silva Ferreira. As well as being a huge footballing idol, he was a humble person who shone off the pitch as well. He made millions of people happy. On behalf of all of Portugal, so long Eusebio,” Portugal President Anibal Cavaco Silva.

"He was a football genius, an example of humility, an excellent athlete, a generous and supportive man. He was for all the fans an example of professionalism, determination and dedication," Portugal Prime Minister Pedro Passos Coelho

“Eusebio was a unique figure in Portuguese football and will never be forgotten. He may have passed away but he will never leave us. He will be with us at the World Cup in Brazil and will be supporting the national team in spirit,” Portuguese Football Association President Fernando Gomes.

"Without doubt, Eusebio was one of the finest players I ever had the privilege to play against. Not only that, he was a true sportsman, as he proved in applauding Alex Stepney for his save in the European Cup final. I feel proud to have been both an opponent and friend and am saddened to hear of his passing. My thoughts and prayers are with his family at this difficult time," Manchester United and England great Sir Bobby Charlton

“Always eternal Eusebio. May he rest in peace,” Cristiano Ronaldo on Facebook.

"You'll be forever in our hearts Eusebio. Rest in peace legend," Nani on Twitter.

“The King! Massive loss for us all! The greatest!” former Portugal international Luis Figo on Twitter.

“He was one of Portugal’s greatest figures and he means so much to the country and its people. Eusebio and Amalia (a popular singer) are Portugal’s great lords. I still see them as such. To me they are immortal,” Chelsea’s Portuguese coach Jose Mourinho.

“In my opinion Eusebio will always be the greatest player of all time,” ex-Real Madrid star Alfredo Di Stefano.

"He's a figure who has contributed to the deep and rich history of Mozambique. Eusebio came here from time to time. He always maintained a link with Mozambique. He's a very well known and respected figure in our country," Mozambique President Armando Gebuza.

“I have lost a friend. When we were young we played games and football together. He was almost family to me. Portuguese football has lost one of its greatest idols. Football brought Mozambique and Portugal together, and everyone in Mozambique is proud of Eusebio,” former Mozambique president Joaquim Chissano.

“Eusebio was like a son to me. I’ll always be biased when it comes to talking about him. I welcomed him with open arms in Portugal when he left Mozambique. I was responsible for bringing him to Benfica and for him reaching the top in Portuguese football. I feel very, very sad. May God bless his soul,” former Benfica and Portugal player Coluna.

“He always listened to me and we were very close. He was a colleague, a friend and an exceptional player, and he had a lot of human qualities that many people didn’t see. The country has lost an outstanding figure and I have lost a friend and a brother,” Antonio Simoes, who played alongside Eusebio for Benfica and Portugal.

“Football has lost one of its all-time greats. My friend Eusebio died tonight and my thoughts are with his family,” German football legend Franz Beckenbauer.

“I never had the pleasure of watching him play but I did have the honour of meeting him and seeing how special he was off the pitch too. May God be with you, friend,” former Benfica player and current Brazil international David Luiz.

“What sad news. The football world has lost a star and an exceptional person who was cherished by fans of all clubs. May he rest in peace,” Benfica captain and Brazil international Luisao.

"Every generation has great footballers. He was clearly a world-class footballer who scored an awful lot of goals. He had a level of natural talent that most players don't have. He was the (Lionel Messi) or Ronaldo of his time," Football Association chairman Greg Dyke.

Code:
http://www.fifa.com/classicfootball/news/newsid=2257261/index.html?cid=newsletter_en_20140109_newsid

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 7
ecly_watchaa, fredrian.seven, Gustiono, jifortin, word89vkodv, Zee de Wazza, zudomiriku