United Indonesia - Manchester United Indonesia Supporters Club
Register
Go Back   United Indonesia - Manchester United Indonesia Supporters Club > INSIDE MANCHESTER UNITED > United History

Old 16-06-2009, 08:41 PM   #1
dree_united
first team
this is my home

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
dree_united is a jewel in the roughdree_united is a jewel in the roughdree_united is a jewel in the rough

Visit dree_united's Facebook Visit dree_united's Twitter
Default About Manchester Derby ...

dari Manchester evening news nih. nyeritain jg ttg sejarahnya derby Manchester ini. ini jg menjadi derby yg ke 150 buat United dan city..

Quote:
Now that's a derby!

CAN anyone tell me why this weekend's clash between the Rags - sorry Reds - and the blessed Blues is called a derby?

I've checked the history books and there are enough theories about the origin of that word to fill this newspaper.

The most logical one I came across is that a football derby is linked to the town of Derby itself.

Back in the 1800s the good folk of Derby had a traditional Shrovetime match of football. The whole town took part in this annual free-for-all which must have made it a tad difficult to referee. Tempers, as always, became frayed and hundreds of fatalities were recorded before the bloodbath was abandoned in 1877.

Impossible

Now that sounds exactly like a Manchester derby to me. Family divided. Workmates at each others throats. Best mates becoming best of enemies for 90 minutes. Two sets of fans who would rip each other apart if the killjoys of the Manchester Constabulary would let them.

Why the history lesson? Because for the purposes of this column I was asked to achieve the impossible - browse through my memory bank and come up with the greatest Manchester derby I've ever seen.

Now what do you rate as a classic derby?

If I asked that question of the Blues fans they would tell me it was when City beat United 5-1. The same question to Fergie's army would draw a similar response.

But derby games like that aren't classics in my book. One-sided matches are only spectacles for the fans of the winning side. I wanted to recall a derby which stirred the emotions, and I believe I've trawled one up. The game took place back in November 1971 when you could take your girlfriend to the pictures for sixpence and still have enough left over for fish and chips on the way home.

The derby that Saturday was at Maine Road and drew a capacity attendance of 65,000.

Debuts

It was the first derby for United's manager Frank O'Farrell - or Frank O'Failure as we Blues fans renamed him.

Two players, one from each side, were also making their derby debuts that day. For the Blues it was the battering ram centre-forward Wyn Davies, signed from Newcastle, and for the Reds it was a slip of a lad named Sammy McIlroy, of whom no-one outside of Old Trafford had heard.

It didn't take long for young Sammy to make his mark. Early in the game he had the audacity to whip the ball off the toes of his legendary team-mate George Best to whip a shot past City's goalkeeper Joe Corrigan.

Just before half-time United hammered another nail into City's coffin when Brian Kidd rose to a Willie Morgan cross to thunder a header past the helpless Corrigan.

The points were heading back to Old Trafford - or so the dancing United supporters believed. But they hadn't reckoned on City's gruesome twosome, Colin `Nijinsky' Bell and Francis `Barney Rubble' Lee.

The two England internationals were on a different planet in the second half when they waged a two-man war against the United defence.

It wasn't long before Lee tripped himself up in the United penalty box to earn a spot-kick with the cleverest con trick ever seen in English soccer. Needless to say, Francis picked himself up, dusted himself down and bulleted the penalty past Alex Stepney.

Moments later Lee the scorer turned Lee the provider with a glorious through-ball to Bell. No one in the country could catch the great midfielder when he pressed the turbo button and United's defence could only stand and stare as one of City's finest ever players rounded Stepney before coolly slotting the ball into the empty net.

The Blues at this stage were on fire and every single person in the ground thought that derby debutant Davies had given City the lead with a trademark towering header. Everyone that is but for the referee who blew for offside.

Deflected

City's sense of grievance was magnified when United substitute Johnny Aston - on for the injured Tony Dunne - put the Reds back in front with a mishit shot which deflected into goal off striker Alan Gowling.

Was that the end of the drama? Not by a long shot. With the referee looking at his watch keeper Stepney punched a corner out to the feet of Mike Summerbee who responded with a screaming volley which would have sailed over Platt Fields if the net hadn't intervened. That is what I call a great, great derby. It ended 3-3 but it could have been 6-6. Right to the dying seconds the result was in doubt.

If the coming derby is only half as good as that one, Manchester is in for an almighty treat.
original: dree_united
dree_united is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2009, 08:42 PM   #2
rondwisan
udah sebelas yaa :)

Thanked 4,736 Times in 2,701 Posts
Mentioned: 567 Post(s)
rondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond repute
Visit rondwisan's Facebook Visit rondwisan's Twitter

29/11/2008 01:06 - ManUtd.com, Nick Coppack
Status quo suits Rio

Rio Ferdinand has refuted suggestions that a resurgent Manchester City would be good for the North-West.

It's been 32 years since the Blues last lifted a major trophy (City beat Newcastle United 2-1 in the 1976 League Cup final) but new owners and big-money signings have injected a wave of optimism into the blue half of Manchester.

Of course, City and United have enjoyed simultaneous success in the past, most notably in 1968 when the Blues won the league and the Reds the European Cup. But it's not a scenario Ferdinand is keen to see repeated.

When asked at a recent Nike Inner Circle event if Manchester would benefit from a second successful side, the England defender’s response was swift and succinct.

“No,” he said. “I want United to win everything. I don’t care about what happens at City.

“Okay, if they start improving and doing well then good luck to them, but as long as they’re not above us in the league I’m happy.”

Ferdinand has played in 11 Manchester derbies since arriving at Old Trafford and can’t wait for kick-off on Sunday.

“The derby’s always a massive game and the fans are right up for it, just like the players. Supporters come up to you in the days leading up to the match and wish you good luck.

“It’s a great fixture and obviously expectations at City are a lot higher these days, so I’m sure it will make for a good game.”

The Blues won both encounters last season – 1-0 at Eastlands, 2-1 at Old Trafford – but Rio’s confident United can turn those results around this term, especially with the help of the Reds’ vocal travelling fans.

“Our away fans are unbelievable,” he said. “It’s easily the best travelling support in England. I was in the stands at Anfield [in 2006] and it was the maddest experience I’ve ever had. It was brilliant and long may our fanatical away support continue.”

Quote:
Glory, glory Man United

City's last major honour: 1976

United's success since 1976:

Football League (x10)
FA Cup (x8)
League Cup (x2)
Community Shield (x10*)
European Cup (x2)
Cup Winners' Cup (x1)
Super Cup (x1)
Intercontinental Club Cup (x1)

* Includes two instances where the trophy was shared.
original: rondwisan
rondwisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2009, 08:42 PM   #3
rondwisan

rondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond repute

taken from ManUtd.com

Peter Barnes scores City's first in their 1976 League Cup win. The Blues haven't won major silverware since

1992/93 was the first of 10 league titles United have won since City's last major trophy

United: FA Cup winners eight times since City's last trophy. 1977, 1983, 1985 (pictured), 1990, 1994, 1996, 1999, 2004

United: League Cup winners twice since City's last major trophy. 1992 (pictured), 2006

United: European Cup winners twice since City's last major trophy. 1998/99 and 2007/08 (pictured)

Old 16-06-2009, 08:43 PM   #4
rondwisan

United: Cup Winners Cup winners once since City's last major trophy. 1991 (pictured)

United: UEFA Super Cup winners once since City's last major trophy. 1991 (Utd 1-0 Red Star Belgrade)

United: Intercontinental Club Cup winners once since City's last major trophy. 1999 (Utd 1-0 Palmeiras)

United: Charity Shield winners/joint winners 10 times since City's last major trophy. (Pictured: Steve Bruce in 1994)

Old 16-06-2009, 08:43 PM   #5
rondwisan

Ryan's derby day thrill
MEN, JAMES ROBSON - 29/11/2008

Giggs scored his first goal in the derby 17 years ago

RYAN Giggs admits he still feels the same way about derby day as he did as a kid growing up in Manchester.

Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea may offer a more obvious and formidable title threat to the Reds, but bragging rights over City have always held a special place in his heart.

As a veteran of 27 such matches, scoring his first senior goal against the Blues as a 17-year-old back in 1991 - even though he accepts he never touched the ball in a mix-up with Colin Hendry - Giggs has made a greater contribution to encounters with City than anyone else.

However, he is aware the damage he might do tomorrow will be from central midfield.

"I have not been an out-and-out winger for the last three or four years," he said.

"I enjoy playing in midfield. You are more involved and you get to see a lot more of the ball.

"It is certainly not alien to me and maybe the ability to move around is one of the things that has kept me playing for so long."

With Ferguson suggesting a new one-year contract at the season's end, the serial medal-collector has time to increase his already unmatched haul.

One thing is for certain, if Giggs does find himself on the losing side once more, he won't be venturing too far for a few days.

"You are still aware the fans want bragging rights on Monday but you also want to win as players because, as we experienced last year, it takes a bit of time to get over losing a derby.

"If you don't get the right result you tend to stay in your house, just so the supporters don't have a chance to give you some stick."

Boss Sir Alex Ferguson, meanwhile, fears United's hopes of retaining their Premier League and European crowns could be scuppered by an impending fixture backlog.

The United manager believes his side could be faced with a similar situation as in 1992 when losing the title to Leeds. Back then they had to cram four games into six days, winning only one of those matches and surrendering the title to Howard Wilkinson's side.

Last year, Ferguson saw how his good friend, Walter Smith, struggled with a fixture pile-up at Rangers.

At one point Smith was bidding for the Scottish title, FA Cup and UEFA Cup. But after squeezing in nine games from May 1 to 24, their hopes of a treble were dashed.

They ended up with just the Scottish Cup to show for a season that had promised so much - and Ferguson is wary of the same happening to United.

There is the potential of this season's fixture congestion being worse than '92 with United having much more on their plate. As well as the Champions League, they have reached the quarter-final of the Carling Cup and are off to Japan next month for the World Club Championships.

They already have a game in hand on their rivals due to the European Super Cup at the start of the season. And they will be two games behind by time they get back from Japan.

Such has been United's schedule so far this season that they haven't been able to find a suitable date to play their game in hand against Fulham, and it could prove even more difficult in the New Year when the FA Cup kicks in.

"We're playing catch-up at the moment," said Fergie. "We will have to make up two games and it will depend on our progress in the League Cup and the FA Cup.

"That could prove a minefield for us in terms of dates. But it depends how we go on against Blackburn in the League Cup because we've then got two semi-final dates and that's two midweek games.

"The availability of fixtures dries up and you're looking at the end of February or March. If you don't get them then you are talking about a Rangers situation from last year when they had eight games in 12 days or like when we lost the league in '92, four games in six days."

Old 16-06-2009, 08:44 PM   #6
rondwisan

DERBY WINNERS

Wazza's goal at Eastlands in November was United's 200th in league clashes with Manchester City. Here's a reminder of that strike, plus a few other derby winners scored by current Reds...

Wayne Rooney at Eastlands; 30.11.08; City 0 United 1
Not long ago, there was a theory circulating Eastlands that, on account of his friendship with Ricky Hatton, Rooney was a closet City sympathiser. This match dispelled that notion. Not only did Wazza score the winner, tapping in from six yards after Michael Carrick’s shot was parried, he took conspicuous delight in rubbing Blue noses in it. He celebrated with a chest-beating, wild-eyed tribal warrior-style rampage, just yards from United-baiters in the Eastlands cheap seats.

Cristiano Ronaldo at Eastlands; 05.05.07; City 0 United 1
The Blues approached this match with one thing on their minds: stopping Cristiano Ronaldo. It was a game plan that included kicking lumps out of him, using his chest as a stud sharpener, and generally getting in his face. Michael Ball, whose early stamp on the Portuguese genius was somehow unseen by the officials, was the Blues’ chief henchman. However, on 34 minutes the Blues defender’s clumsy tackle resulted in Ronaldo being awarded a penalty. Outcome? Ball in the net, and our ninth Premier League title was almost in the bag.

Paul Scholes at Old Trafford; 13.12.03; United 3 City 1
It’s unlikely movie mogul George Lucas had Paul Scholes in mind when he was dreaming up titles for the fourth Star Wars movie, but The Phantom Menace is a moniker that suits him well. The midfielder’s ability to ‘ghost’ into space is legendary, and in this derby he was at his ghoulish best, twice drifting unmarked into the box to glance headers past David Seaman. Between those goals, the visitors had also been beaten by a Ruud van Nistelrooy header. In the aftermath of both Scholes strikes, half a dozen City players wore an expression that silently asked the same question: “Where did he come from?” No Blue seemed to know.

Ryan Giggs at Maine Road; 06.04.96; City 2 United 3
The Reds headed into this game seeking a 10th Premier League victory on the bounce, against a City team 36 points behind in the table. But what seemed like a routine assignment gradually degenerated into a bum-squeaking fiasco. Leading 2-1 at half-time, United surrendered the initiative in the second period, allowing the Blues to equalise through Uwe Rosler with 20 minutes to go. In truth, it was the home team who looked more likely to grab a winner… until Giggs, cutting in from the left towards the corner of the penalty area, let fly with an angled drive that exploded into the roof of the net at Ike Immel’s near post on 76 minutes. Suddenly, Reds were everywhere, and jack-in-the-box-style celebrations broke out all over Maine Road.

Old 18-09-2009, 08:24 AM   #7
rondwisan

Default Re: About Manchester Derby ...

The Manchester derby: Four classics from 128 years of rivalry between City and United
dailymail.co.uk

Regret: Denis Law back-heeled Manchester City to victory in 1974

MAN UTD 0 MAN CITY 1 April 27, 1974

Perhaps the most famous encounter ended with United relegated. A back-heeled finish in the 80th minute by one-time Old Trafford hero Denis Law doubled the pain.

'I have finally scored a goal which I almost wish I hadn't,' said Law, who was substituted and never played in the league again.

MAN CITY 5 MAN UTD 1 September 23, 1989

United's heaviest derby defeat since 1955, against a City side knocked out of the League Cup days earlier by Brentford and with only one win in their first six league games. Goals by David Oldfield (two), Trevor Morley, Ian Bishop and Andy Hinchcliffe. Mark Hughes hit a stunning consolation.

MAN CITY 2 MAN UTD 3 November 7, 1993

With United at a low ebb following midweek elimination from the European Cup, City went for the jugular and Niall Quinn headed two early goals.

United completed a memorable comeback thanks to two strikes from the inspired Eric Cantona and an 87th-minute winner from Roy Keane.

The king: Eric Cantona inspired Manchester United to a win in 1993

MAN UTD 5 MAN CITY 0 November 10, 1994

In a season when United narrowly missed out on winning both the League and FA Cup, Andrei Kanchelskis produced a glittering display against the old enemy.

The Russia winger scored a hat-trick, with Hughes and Cantona adding the others. United hammered City 3-0 in the return league game.

LEAGUE: City W 37, United W 55, Draws 48; FA CUP: 2, 4, 0; LEAGUE CUP: 2, 1, 1; CHARITY SHIELD: 0, 1, 0; TOTAL: City 41, United 61, Draws 49.
Old 18-09-2009, 10:43 AM   #8
rondwisan

Default Re: About Manchester Derby ...

klo diexpand jadi top 10 nih ...

telegraph.co.uk
Top 10: Manchester derbies

The history of the Manchester derby can be traced back as far as 1881 when, in a friendly on Nov 12, West Gorton (St. Marks) the forerunners of City played at home to Newton Heath, later United. The "Heathens" won 3-0 and the affair was described, in the local press, as "a pleasant game".

Mobbed: fans congratulate Denis Law after his back-heel sent United down to Division Two in 1974

The first Football League meeting was in the 1894-95 season with Newton Heath beating Manchester City 52 at Hyde Road.

They first met in the top division in Dec 1906, a 30 City win in a First Division match for which the gate receipts exceeded 1,000, a huge amount at the time.

1. Manchester United 4 Manchester City 1, Division One, Aug 31, 1957

The last Manchester derby before the Munich Air Disaster. Roger Byrne, Eddie Colman, David Pegg, Liam Whelan, Duncan Edwards and Tommy Taylor all featured, just five months before their untimely and tragic deaths in Germany. Goals from Edwards, Taylor, Johnny Berry and Dennis Viollet maintained United's perfect start to the season.

2. Manchester City 3 Manchester United 3, Division One, Nov 6, 1971

The highlights of this encounter included a 17-year-old Sammy McIlroy scoring on his United debut, a wonderful equaliser from Colin Bell, some brilliant goalkeeping from Alex Stepney and Francis Lee playing up to the crowd by accusing George Best of diving. City recovered first from 2-0 and 3-2 down.

3. Manchester United 0 Manchester City 1, Division One, April 27, 1974

The day United were relegated, but the fact is that former favourite Denis Law's back-heeled goal against his old side did not send United into Division Two. Birmingham's victory that day meant that United would still have gone down, but Law's refusal to celebrate remains an abiding memory for older fans.

4. Manchester City 5 Manchester 1, Division One, Sept 23, 1989

United started well until the players were taken off the Maine Road pitch because of crowd trouble. When they returned after a 10-minute break, newly-promoted City took control, their march halted only by a remarkable Mark Hughes bicycle kick. Alex Ferguson later described it as his "most embarrassing defeat".

5. Manchester City 2 Manchester United 3, Premiership, Nov 7, 1993

United were able to restore their 11-point advantage at the top of the Premiership after going two goals down, both scored by Niall Quinn. Eric Cantona scored twice and, with three minutes left Roy Keane claimed the winner.

6. Manchester United 5 Manchester City 0, Premiership, Nov 10, 1994

United's best ever derby win in the Premiership came eight days after a 4-0 defeat by Barcelona - a result that prompted a massive sale of Barca shirts to the blue side on Manchester. Andrei Kanchelskis won the United fans over with a hat-trick.

7. Manchester United 1 Manchester City 1, Premier League, April 21, 2001

The culmination of a long-standing feud between Roy Keane and Alf-Inge Haaland emerged at Old Trafford. The feud started in 1998, when United captain Keane suffered a cruciate ligament injury when clean through on goal, being chased down by Haaland (then playing for Leeds). Three years later Keane made a knee-high tackle on Haaland, was red-carded and later admitted in his autobiography that it was a premeditated attempt to injure. He later received a 150,000 fine and a five-match ban.

8. Manchester City 3 Manchester United 1, Premier League, Nov 9, 2002

Thirteen years had passed since City had beaten United, but Shaun Goater proved to be the hero of Kevin Keegan's first and City's last derby at Maine Road. Nicolas Anelka put City ahead after five minutes after a comedy fumble from the increasingly erratic Fabien Barthez, only for Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to level three minutes later. But two goals from Goater gave City a rare derby success.

9. Manchester City 3 Manchester United 1, Premier League, Jan 14, 2006

How they enjoyed this one in the blue half of the City. Not only a City win, but the sight of Cristiano Ronaldo shown a red card. Frustrated that his side were deservedly losing to goals from Trevor Sinclair and Darius Vassell, Ronaldo high-kicked into Andy Cole's midrift and was dismissed by Steve Bennett, who had conveniently missed Stephen Jordan's hefty assault on the Portuguese moments earlier.

10. Manchester City 0 Manchester United 1, Premier League, May 5 2007

Edwin van der Sar saved a late penalty as United effectively won the Premier League title at the home of their foes. The match was by no means a classic, but it was fitting that Cristiano Ronaldo's penalty should win the game after he had been stamped on by Michael Ball in the first half.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:07 AM   #9
B4YU
first team
-

B4YU has a spectacular aura aboutB4YU has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Manchester United - News and Rumors

Sell All Their Tickets, City Couldnt Sell All Their Tickets

Manchester City are due to play in their first semi-final for 28 years this month, under the guidance of new manager Roberto Mancini.

The population of Manchester is 460,000. City fans say all proper Mancs are blue. So why couldnt they sell all their tickets for the biggest game theyve played in for almost three decades?

The official City website has put more tickets on sale yesterday, offering Seasoncard and Citycard (membership) holders the opportunity to purchase an additional two tickets each.

Tickets went on sale to season ticket holders during the first week of December, then to Citycard holders on December 22nd. Then on December 31st, almost four weeks after the tickets became available, there were tickets left, despite the game being less than a week away.

The council owned stadium seats 47,000, with a chunk of those seats filled by reds. If City are such a massive club, with great fans, then why are there still tickets available a month after they went on sale? I dont understand, it just doesnt match up with the claim City fans make which is perpetuated by the media.

I know that United have a lot of fans outside of Manchester, but I dont understand why that makes people think there arent a lot of United fans inside Manchester. As if all Mancunians shunned United to support City and this tradition has continued for decades, despite the fact weve had higher attendances than them for decades (long before Munich). It doesnt make sense. Liverpool FC has a lot of fans outside Liverpool, yet Evertonians arent deluded enough to spread a lie that everyone from Merseyside is blue, so why do our bitter neighbours do it? I just dont get it. If they live in Manchester, they will know loads of reds, whether they drink with them, work with them or for them, are married to them, or are related to them. So why the lies? And why cant they sell their tickets for their biggest game in 28 years?

Tickets are still available for the Old Trafford leg which will take place in three weeks time. Given that 74,000 attended our League Cup semi-final against Derby last season, I cant imagine well still be trying to flog tickets two days before kick-off like City were.

I have asked a City blogger and he will explain all later. Watch this space

Code:
http://therepublikofmancunia.com/sell-all-their-tickets-city-couldnt-sell-all-their-tickets/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
B4YU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:19 AM   #10
B4YU
first team
-

B4YU has a spectacular aura aboutB4YU has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Manchester United - News and Rumors

masih rivalitas United vs City

STATS: United vs City The Best Supported Club Since The 1940s and Before Premiership?

Keterangan lebih lanjut.......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
B4YU is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to B4YU For This Useful Post:

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 82
adefebsa, adriano_ronaldo, akbar15, AnasRoby, Andi Istiabudi, Andrewps007, azisfirdaus, bagas ibod, Bargias Agus, becksnoi, bhowz, bimbim, Deddy Hernandez, delongedee, der_emperor, devinchrst, dyan_giggs, ebod_path, edwarazmi, endysetyo, Enosnosnos, fajrinited, fey777, fikrirf, Franita Roza, franklin90, frmnsyh_KEANO, GeaErang, Genk's007, Hamka Husain Pasonai, HaRrY-UIK, hendrikYP, herbeth_mugabe, ilyasprawibawa, jifortin, kDuT, lutviarfiansyah, masguhmu, moiragoatil, mousetrap, mridwanmas, MUFC1878, mutenaru, Muttaqin R, oldark, penk22_, Prianto United, r.giggs11, rasyidrdh, raymond, Redsbusby, Rheza Adrian, rio vander vidic, Riskur, rohibur rizqi, Roo10, Ryan_lallo, Sacri, saka7, SatriaRedArmy, skater.cute, soedjana HS, stefano_will, taufikdevil, The.CopraL, tumpal_oneunited, Ucup Carrick, unai cantona, UNITED1878, vanjisung, vivasoilsolid, vizky, xkeiszglf34, yosh8888, yudhiekasaputra, zeinaleyandro, zudomiriku