United Indonesia - Manchester United Indonesia Supporters Club
Register
Go Back   United Indonesia - Manchester United Indonesia Supporters Club > INSIDE MANCHESTER UNITED > United Crew > Ex United

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-08-2009, 09:32 AM   #1
rondwisan
udah sebelas yaa :)

Thanked 4,736 Times in 2,701 Posts
Mentioned: 567 Post(s)
rondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond repute
Visit rondwisan's Facebook Visit rondwisan's Twitter
Default Lee Sharpe

Mark Graham was recently given the opportunity to interview, Ex Manchester United winger Lee Sharpe before a recent Guest Speaker Dinner speech in our local area of Whitehaven, Cumbria.

The event was held at local football team, Whitehaven Amateurs ground & club house to raise funds for Cancer Research.

The event was a success & raised in excess of £1,500 pounds.

[Interview] Lee Sharpe
mufcinfo.com, Mark Graham - Aug 2009

Transferred from Torquay United in 1988 for £185,000, how did the transfer come about?
An old Man U scout who is retired now had spotted me playing on the left of attack for Torquay & alerted United.

You made your United debut against West Ham United on the 24th September 1988 at Old Trafford, what can you remember about the atmosphere & overall feel of making your debut.
I actually played before that game I think against against Newcastle United in a Centenary Cup match, I had played nearly two hours of football prior to that."

I was warned by the manager about a player called Mark Ward who was a real tough character who was on my side of the field, I also remember it being very hot & the atmosphere was impressive especially with the with the old style terracing back then.

Can you remember the scorers?
"Id say....Brian McClair?"

No it was his partner
"Mark Hughes"

The other scorer's a bit more difficult, it was Peter Davenport.

Your first senior goal for the Reds came after battering Millwall 5-1 in September 1989 at Old Trafford, what can you remember about your goal?

It was a right foot shot, which had ricocheted into my path

1991 saw you win your 1st Trophy with Manchester United after a 2-1 victory of Barcelona in Rotterdam, you played the game on the left of attack, what do you remember?
It was one of those old style European nights, with red flares & smoke, massive flags & two thirds of the Stadium were Man U fans.

Were you nervous?, do players actually still get nerves even though they put themselves through the same scenario time & again?
Yeah. I was nervous. It really depends on the type of person you are to be honest, you'll find the likes of Steve Bruce, Robbo and that sort of player don't get nervous, but I remember Gazza (Paul Gascoigne) he used to.

Who was the greatest player that you ever played along side of?
It would have to be Bryan Robson, he could tackle, score, pass, play box to box, and with me being a Aston Villa fan (great season last season by the way) I didn't really appreciate what he could do as my hero's were Villa orientated, but when I joined United and saw what he was all about, I then had no doubts, a fantastic player.

Who was the greatest player that you ever played against?
Gazza (Paul Gascoigne).

What would be a true reflection of the famous SAF turning up on your doorstep saga?
It wasn't even a party, we were actually getting ready to go out for the night & by chance one of Giggsy's mates went to answer the door with hte only two bottle of beer in the whole house. When the manager then saw an apprentice wandering in the background with his shirt off & the beer bottles, the apprentice he was actually looking for an ironing board, the manager then cleared the house & gave us all a telling off, a telling off which continued in the office and training & for a few days after that.

Where did the idea come from for your goal celebrations?
It was just spontaneous, with the Arsenal hat trick & scoring at Goodison happening only a few days later. I remember the Goodison pitch being really dry & Paul Ince telling me to watch I don't injure myself sliding on my knees.

I'll put you on the spot now, how many games & goals do you think you played & scored for United?
260 something games

We have you down as 263, that's including Charity Shield matches, which apparently the FA count as a competitive match now.

What about the goals then?

35?

nearly its thirty six

Of the thirty six, What goal is your personal favourite?

The back heel against Barcelona.

mine to
Yeah.. it think as well with the importance of Man U not being beaten at home in Europe for 40 years.

I heard a story once that a female fan used to send you chocolate bars in the post as fan mail?
yes....It wasn't just chocolate, there were other things

What like, was it down to the heart throb status sort of thing?
I think so, she used to send dog chews for my two dogs

Dog chews?, what sort of dogs did you have?
I had two Bull Dogs, called them Bonnie & Clyde.

What is Lee Sharpe doing at the moment?
I'm actually playing football tomorrow (Saturday) in Manchester in the Masters Football.

Good luck with that, any team mates we might know?
There's Keith Gillespie, keeper Fraser Digby, he was a United apprentice, played at Swindon, Giuliano Maiorana, do you remember Giuliano?

Yeah, I remember, didn't see him play but I was searching our archives @ MUFCINFO to determine what nationality he was for a project I was doing, an Englishman contrary to his name.
I actually played a match in Cambridge not so long a go for Charity for Giuliano after his father had passed away, There's also Andrei Kanchelskis & Clayton Blackmore.

Good luck with that then, you partake in a bit of golf with Gary Pallister don't you?
I play a bit with Pally.

Who's the better player
Clayton Blackmore's the best

What's your handicap?
mine, its about 6, Clayton's is about 3.

What's Mr Pallisters then?
12, but he's getting better.

source :
Code:
http://www.mufcinfo.com/manupag/articles/article_pages/lee_sharpe_interview.shtml
rondwisan is offline   Reply With Quote

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 12
aldorioclev23, Andi Istiabudi, d10neladitya, Fajar_, mygalzbiatch, rio vander vidic, sepatu_ancur, stamansa, UNITED1878, w.keane27, zudomiriku