United Indonesia - Manchester United Indonesia Supporters Club
Register
Go Back   United Indonesia - Manchester United Indonesia Supporters Club > INSIDE MANCHESTER UNITED > United Crew > Ex United

Old 16-09-2018, 06:21 PM   #541
Andi Istiabudi
manager
Youtube: Andi Istiabudi

Thanked 2,334 Times in 1,748 Posts
Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Andi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to behold

Default Re: Michael Carrick

CARRICK: THE LADS SHOWED GREAT CHARACTER

Michael Carrick attributed United's vital win at Watford to a combination of impressive attacking football and the team's “great character”.

The United legend spoke exclusively to MUTV’s Stewart Gardner after the 2-1 victory at Vicarage Road, and opened up on the team’s set-piece work and his fledgling coaching career...

Were you more nervous during the second half than you would have been as a player?

“No, strangely enough not really! We just focused on the game really, and trying to get the right information on and substitutes on. As the game went on, obviously we were up against it and we were defending and Watford caused us a few problems, so we were just trying to get the right information on, really.”

It’s never easy after the international break, and it’s never easy coming here. Was it all about the team in the end?

“The lads showed great character. There were a few tired legs out there towards the end. You know what to expect coming here, and they’ve had a great start to the season. They’re a good team. The front two cause you a lot of problems when the ball gets played into them, and they have runners off them and it is difficult to play against. I thought first half we played some good football at times, and created chances and obviously got the goals. Paul’s one would have been a great goal to send us in right at half-time - it was a great save from Ben [Foster]. And then we knew what to expect second half; it wasn’t going to be a relaxing affair. They were going to come at us - they had to. In the end, we saw it through.”

Chris Smalling got the winner with a chest trap, swivel and a volley into the roof of the net. With respect, we probably don’t think of Chris scoring that sort of goal, but it was fantastic technique…

“Yeah, it was a great goal from Chris. It’s something we’ve been trying to do, really - score more goals from set plays and create more chances and try and come up with things to do that. So it was nice to see one go in from him today. Normally it’s a header or a right foot, but it was a lovely volley on the left.”

We saw the manager celebrating with the coaching staff after that goal. Was that sort of thing - with Fellaini involved - straight from the training ground?

“It’s something that you do. You’re always trying to come up with little things [like] set plays. There’s a lot of work that goes on during the week to try and put it into practice, so especially when it’s a goal - that feeling when a goal goes in is extra special and satisfying, in a way. But there’s plenty of things throughout the game that you see, and you try and take bits from, that have been on the training ground over recent weeks, and that's pleasing to see.”

The goalkeeper’s quite good, isn’t he?

“He’s not bad! He’s done it again. That’s why he’s without doubt the best.”

Finally, are you enjoying it on the bench?

“Really enjoying it, yeah. Not one day have I thought about playing, so it shows that I’ve not missed playing at all. The manager has been fantastic, and having Kieran [McKenna] next to me, as well as the rest of Jose’s staff from last season, has been a big help. There’s a lot of work to do, of course - it’s a big season ahead - but I’m looking forward to it.”

www.manutd.com
Andi Istiabudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 07:56 AM   #542
Andi Istiabudi
manager

Andi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to behold

CARRICK: WRITING MY BOOK WAS CATHARTIC

Michael Carrick is releasing his autobiography ‘Between the Lines’ later this month and all proceeds from book sales will be going to his charitable Foundation.

Working with a ghost writer, The Times journalist Henry Winter, Carrick has retraced his early days in the North East, his time in London with West Ham United and Tottenham and, of course, his long, successful stay with Manchester United.

The first-team coach is embracing a new chapter in his footballing life so it felt like the perfect time to tell the tale of his playing days in great detail.

“As my career went on, writing my autobiography was something that I had in mind,” Carrick told United Review, the official matchday programme.

“The closer the end came, the more I thought it would be a nice thing to do. It’s something for myself, my kids and my family – maybe even grandkids – to have and look back on. And with the proceeds going to the Foundation, it’s now giving something to others as well.

”On some things, it was the first time I’ve spoken to anyone about them in any depth or with any thought, so in some ways it was quite cleansing. Sometimes it changes your mindset on what happened as well; you step back and think: ‘Maybe it wasn’t so bad.’

“It’s been an enjoyable process, the whole thing, even talking about the tough times too. It’s been tougher than I thought, much more challenging and time consuming than I thought. But, once it’s done, you take a deep breath and enjoy it even more.”

Carrick’s charity commitments remain extremely important to him and the sales from the book should provide a real boost to the project.

“The Foundation is a big deal for me,” he added. “It’s something I’m really passionate about and feel responsible for, to do something productive and help as many children as we can in and around Manchester and Newcastle.”

A full interview with Carrick was published in Saturday's United Review, the official match programme. Copies can be bought online at manutd.com/programme.

www.manutd.com
Old 10-10-2018, 10:20 AM   #543
zudomiriku
Happy New Year 2023

Thanked 1,785 Times in 921 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
zudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond repute

'I left Rome but I don't think Rome has ever really left me': Manchester United legend Michael Carrick opens up on depression that spiralled after Champions League final loss in 2009

* Manchester United lost 2-0 to Barcelona in the 2009 Champions League final
* Defeat has never left Michael Carrick, who labelled it his 'biggest low' in football
* The former United midfielder has revealed the mental trauma he's suffered since
* 'I thought I'd let myself down in the biggest game of my career,' Carrick said

Michael Carrick has lifted the lid on the depression that plagued him in the wake of Manchester United's Champions League defeat by Barcelona in 2009, claiming it rendered him 'totally numb' and has never truly left him.

The former England midfielder, who now works as part of Jose Mourinho's coaching team, has hidden his turmoil in the decade since United were beaten 2-0 in Rome.

The defeat came only a year after Carrick and Co lifted the trophy after overcoming Chelsea in Moscow. But now the midfielder has laid bare his struggles over the past few years - and how that night in Rome affected both his family and footballing life.

'I left Rome but I don't think Rome has ever really left me. When I got home, I sat out in the garden and didn't speak to anyone. I couldn't. I was totally numb,' he says in his new autobiography Between The Lines, which is being serialised in The Times.

'It was the biggest low of my career by quite some way and I don't really know why,' he told The Times in an interview.

Michael Carrick has revealed he suffered depression after the Champions League final in 2009. United were beaten 2-0 in Rome and the midfielder was left frustrated by his own performance

'I thought I'd let myself down in the biggest game of my career. I had won the Champions League the year before, but that was totally irrelevant. It felt like I was depressed. I was really down. I imagine that is what depression is.

'I describe it as depression because it wasn't a one-off thing. I felt bad or terrible after some games, but then you get over it in the next couple of days, but that one I just couldn't shrug off. It was a strange feeling.'

Carrick was left particularly scarred by his role in Barcelona's first goal, scored by Samuel Eto'o, when a misplaced header gifted the ball to Xavi.

Following the final he went on holiday to Majorca with his wife Lisa and first child Louise, who was 15 months old at the time. But the midfielder barely spoke to them.

'I beat myself up over that goal,' Carrick says. 'I kept asking myself: "Why did I do that?" and then it (the depression) snowballed from there. It was a tough year after that. It lingered for a long time,' he remembers.

'It's not something that's really spoken about in football. I have not spoken about it before. For the lads that I have played with that are reading this, this will be the first time that they know. They wouldn't know.

'They might say he wasn't playing well, or he wasn't himself, but they wouldn't know the extent to which the problem was. I just tried to keep it to myself and get through it.'

image host
'I thought I'd let myself down in the biggest game of my career,' the former midfielder said. Carrick was left particularly scarred by his role in Barcelona's first goal at Stadio Olimpico

Not even Sir Alex Ferguson, who bought Carrick and under whom he won a raft of major honours, was aware of his problem.

'I've never talked about Rome with the Boss. I can't, it's too painful. Even now, almost a decade on, the gloom from Rome has not completely gone,' he said.

'After receiving the medal I didn't want, I trudged back to the changing room. I didn't want to speak to anyone. I slumped in my seat and cradled my head in my hands.

'The Boss was understandably angry and had a go at everyone. "You need to have a look at yourselves and see if you can play at this level," he said. Moscow was irrelevant. We were Manchester United and the expectation was relentless.

'"You've let a good chance slip away here," he said. The Boss summed up exactly how I was feeling. After he finished, I just questioned myself again and again. Am I good enough?

'When I woke in the morning, the heartache was still there. It was like I'd been hit by a bus. I'd never been this low before.'

The effects of his mental turmoil lingered well after he and his team-mates returned to these shores, however.

'When I got home, I sat out in the garden and didn't speak to anyone. I couldn't. I was totally numb. A couple of mates called in the day after the final, but I didn't want to talk about the game, I didn't want to talk about anything really,' Carrick remembered.

'I went into the garden with Louise and just sat on the grass as she played around me. I hardly moved. I just wanted to be left alone to play with Louise, probably because she was one of the only people who didn't see the game and was far too young to understand. I watched her crawling around at my feet, but my mind was still a thousand miles away, just thinking, 'Why?'

He added: 'I returned pre-season, and just couldn't shake the depression off and 2009-10 was my worst season for United. I'd lost that edge. I had a heavy head and a heavy heart, even my body felt heavier.

'Nothing came easy. It felt like I was stuck in a rut, stop-start-stop. I tried but I just couldn't shake myself into life. Confidence is a major part of a sportsman's performance, when it's there you take it for granted and if it disappears, it's desperate.'

Code:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6255785/Carrick-opens-depression-Champions-League-final-2009.html
Old 13-10-2018, 06:47 AM   #544
Andi Istiabudi
manager

Carrick: Mourinho Itu Trofi-Trofi, Guardiola adalah Sepakbola Paket Lengkap
Rifqi Ardita Widianto - detikSport

Jakarta - Michael Carrick turut membicarakan dua manajer top, Jose Mourinho dan Pep Guardiola, dalam autobiografinya. Mantan pemain Manchester United itu membandingkan dua sosok tersebut.

Carrick meluncurkan autobiografinya berjudul Michael Carrick: Between The Lines bulan Oktober ini. Dalam buku tersebut, Carrick mengungkapkan serangkaian momen penting dalam kariernya sebagai pemain.

Salah satunya ketika pria yang kini menjadi asisten manajer di MU itu mengalami depresi. Kekalahan dari Barcelona di final Liga Champions 2008/2009 membuatnya terpuruk, utamanya karena merasa bersalah atas gol pertama lawan.

Dalam buku ini pula Carrick membicarakan dua manajer terbaik di dunia saat ini, Mourinho dan Guardiola. Mourinho jelas sosok yang sudah amat dikenal Carrick.

Sebelum jadi asisten Mourinho saat ini, Carrick sudah mengenal sang manajer sebagai pemain. Karakter dan ambisi Mourinho untuk meraih trofi-trofi jadi kekuatan yang menonjol di mata Carrick.

"Saya langsung tersengat oleh auranya. Ketika Anda bersamanya, Anda tahu bahwa And abersama seseorang yang memimpin, dan seseorang yang punya kemampuan membuat keputusan-keputusan besar dan berani," tulis mantan pemain tim nasional Inggris ini seperti dilansir Standard.

"Karakter-karakter yang menonjol inilah yang memisahkan manajer-manajer terbaik dari yang lainnya. Dari sesi latihan bebas pertama, saya menyadari kalau Jose adalah pemenang. Selalu soal akhir pertandingan dengannya, dan itu adalah memenangi trofi-trofi. Ketika saya melihat Jose, saya cuma terpikirkan trofi-trofi," imbuhnya.

Mourinho adalah satu hal, Guardiola lain lagi. Carrick belum pernah dilatih oleh pria Catalunya tersebut. Namun sepanjang kariernya sebagai pemain, Carrick cenderung punya gaya bermain yang mirip dengan Guardiola sebagai pemain.

Sama-sama bertipe Deep-lying Playmaker, keduanya adalah pemain yang gemar mengontrol permainan dan pengalir bola. Guardiola pribadi memuji Carrick sebagai salah satu jangkar terbaik. "Dia adalah salah satu gelandang jangkar terbaik yang pernah saya lihat dalam hidup saya, sejauh ini," kata Guardiola dilansir BBC pada April 2017 lalu.

Tapi lebih dari itu, nasib mempertemukan Carrick dengan Guardiola dalam dua final Liga Champions. Keduanya berakhir dengan kekalahan untuk Carrick dan MU. Tapi respek Carrick untuk ide dan filosofi Guardiola tak bisa lebih tinggi lagi.

"Selalu ada tim-tim dari tahun ke tahun yang memainkan sepakbola semacam itu dan enak dilihat. Tapi Barcelona menyajikan seluruh paket jadi satu," tulisnya.

"Ada apresiasi akan level kemampuan mereka saat itu, tapi mereka juga melakukannya dengan jadi juara. Mereka menghempaskan tim-tim dan mendominasi laga-laga dari awal hingga akhir. Tim Barcelona 2011 itu jelas sekali merupakan tim terbaik yang pernah saya temui."

"Mereka mencapai puncaknya pada saat itu, mereka adalah paket lengkap. Mereka menyatukan hubungan mereka di lapangan, kombinasi-kombinasinya, segalanya benar-benar klik untuk mereka. Saya bisa mengatasi kekalahan di 2011 jauh lebih mudah dibandingkan dengan di 2009," ungkap Carrick.
Old 30-10-2018, 10:13 AM   #545
zudomiriku
Happy New Year 2023

zudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond repute

He's one of our own: Michael Carrick reflects on his childhood in Wallsend and how it set him on the path to glory

* Michael Carrick returned to Wallsend Boys Club where he played as a junior
* Carrick's foundation is providing free football for young people in deprived areas
* 'I ask my kids, "Do you realise, these are the best days of your life?",' he says
* He describes winning Champions League as 'the best feeling I've had in my life'

The name on the booking was Michael Carrick, the Manchester United midfielder who had helped his team to a 5-1 demolition of Newcastle United at St James' Park the previous day.

That, though, was not the biggest fixture in town. Five miles away, on Station Road in Wallsend, Carrick had reserved the 'Boyza', the fabled five-a-side pitch which had launched his career and those of more than 80 professional footballers, including Alan Shearer, Peter Beardsley and Steve Bruce.

It was there, at Wallsend Boys Club, that Carrick had organised a game between his old team-mates, dad and brother - and lost!

Former midfielder Michael Carrick returned to Wallsend Boys Club where he played as a junior

Ten years on, those involved in that kickabout are gathered again because of Carrick, here at one of Newcastle's most iconic function rooms for Wallsend's annual dinner and a 'This Is Your Life' tribute to a friend, brother and son.

For one weekend only, that is who Carrick becomes, the boy before the man, reliving his early years, free from the chaos of his current role as assistant to Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho.

'I ask my kids, "Do you realise, these are the best days of your life?",' the father-of-two tells Sportsmail. Earlier in the day, we had joined him for a tour of the improvements being made to Wallsend's new Kirkley Park base, where the Michael Carrick Foundation is funding a youth-worker post.

'Your childhood should hold special memories,' Carrick adds from the surrounds of a junior dressing-room. 'I look back and think, "Wow, I didn't have a care in the world". A bit of homework was the extent of any stress.'

Carrick is speaking after revealing in his autobiography that he suffered from depression. When we talk about the issue he draws a comparison between the complexities of adulthood and the innocence of youth, recalling his appearance on the children's TV show Live & Kicking as a 13-year-old in a Newcastle jersey.

'When I saw the clip recently my mind flipped back to what it was like,' he says. 'You remember your emotions. I was like, "Wow, I was so happy - that was brilliant". It is so easy to forget, it really made me think.' Today, though, is about coming home to the city where his foundation is providing free football sessions for young people in deprived areas.

Carrick's foundation is providing free football sessions for young people in deprived areas. 'I ask my kids, "Do you realise, these are the best days of your life?",' the father-of-two says

'The idea for the foundation came from being at the Boys Club,' he says. 'I didn't just want to have a good idea and throw a bit of money at it. I have a responsibility to do the right thing.

'I'm not saying we can change the world but we can make a difference. It's getting harder for kids to have somewhere safe to play.

'It's a different world now, you have to accept that, but I just have to look at myself and my mates to know what the Boys Club meant and gave to us.

'No matter what else you had going on, you left that at the door and had freedom to enjoy yourself. It was carefree - playing football, pool, table tennis. I want to help create that environment - kids deserve that.' Carrick is lost now in memories of his youth, from the Boyza to the terraces of St James' Park, to the indoor court of rivals Montagu Boys Club.

'It was tight at Monty, wasn't it?' he smiles. 'It was like playing five-a-side in this changing room! I loved it. It was like street football.

'There was a rawness about it, playing one-twos off the wall. I took so many different skills from that. It was just sheer enjoyment to get out and play with your mates. It gives you personality.

'I was four when my dad and grandad took me to Wallsend. I went on the pitch and I cried. My dad came on and had a word. I was fine after that, started running around and never looked back.' Within a couple of years he was at his first football match. Newcastle had just signed Mirandinha, the first Brazilian to play in England.

'That's my favourite memory of being a fan, sitting on a barrier in the Gallowgate End with my dad watching Mirandinha,' he says. 'It was exotic to a seven-year-old, "Woah, we've got a Brazilian", you could feel that in the ground.' We recount the terrace chant: 'We've got Mirandinha, he's not from Argentina, he's from Brazil, he's f****** brill!'.

'I couldn't sing that then - my dad would have given me a slap! - but those were special times,' he laughs.

Carrick's son, Jacey, like most of his generation, loves his football but that competes with games consoles, tablets and mobile phones.

'There's a place for that,' Carrick says. 'I had it when I was young, albeit a Spectrum playing Tetris! But it's a constant battle now and I feel strongly about getting kids away from that and into a place where you make friends for life.'

Those lifelong friends are here among a crowd of 500 which also includes his parents, wife and in-laws. We are in the same Gosforth hotel where Kevin Keegan was unveiled as a Newcastle player in 1982.

The 37-year-old is talking through his life with pictures from the family album put together by his dad. He is challenged to name the Wallsend Under 12 team on a photo from the early Nineties. Within seconds he has listed them all. Applause fills the room. 'That was a hell of a team,' he says.

Despite being the best in the North East, however, their transport arrangements were modest.

Carrick recalled his appearance on the children's TV show Live & Kicking as a 13-year-old

'The manager had a big, white milk float and the door was missing,' Carrick recalls.

'We used to pile on, 12 of us in the back, and the best seat was the wheel arch! He was that concerned about getting all the lads back to the club one day that he forgot to check if his own son was on and left him at the away ground!' Carrick shares another tale of being in Ireland with Newcastle aged 13 when an older team-mate 'borrowed' a Mini from a girl he had met.

'I was young, naive, out of my depth, being driven around a car park in this Mini and all I'm thinking is, "If only my mam knew!",' he says.

The host, Graeme Forster, reminds Carrick, 'She is just sat there, don't forget'. Carrick laughs, apologises and then pauses to thank his parents. It comes after he explains how when he was 14 with Newcastle, Chelsea and West Ham all chasing his signature - not to mention England and the Lilleshall boarding programme.

The ex-England and Man United midfielder signing for Harry Redknapp's West Ham in 1997

'Mam and Dad just asked, "Where are you happiest?",' he says. 'They were being offered all sorts - houses paid off, life-changing stuff - but it was all about me picking what I wanted.

'How do you thank your parents for that? I never felt any pressure because of them, I can't stress how grateful I am.' The crowd duly help him by applauding in the direction of Vince and Lynn. It does, though, lead to the question: why choose West Ham over Newcastle?

'I just didn't enjoy it,' he says. 'They didn't have a reserve team (scrapped by Keegan), which played a part, but at West Ham I felt comfortable. I wasn't ready for going away with England either. I was the only kid who was delighted when the letter came saying I was on the standby list.

'So I signed for West Ham and went there during the school holidays and stayed at home playing for Wallsend - it was perfect.'

There is a picture of a young Carrick collecting his Player of the Year trophy from Lee Clark, one of his Newcastle idols.

'Look at the shellsuit,' he says of Clark's attire. The host counters: 'Careful, when Wallsend's next superstar is sat here in 20 years' time it'll be your clothes we're laughing at!' But Carrick has a serious point to make when another picture of him with former Magpie Steve Watson appears on screen.

'It was an inspiration - to see them and think, "I've got a chance of making it here, that could be me",' he says. 'They played a massive part.' By the age of 18 Carrick was making his full debut for West Ham, at St James' Park of all places.

A young Carrick collecting Player of the Year trophy from Lee Clark, one of his Newcastle idols

'Come the second half I was finished,' he admits. 'I was too busy thinking, "Who's here? My mates, my family..." I was too caught up as a fan. I had to realise that the dream was now a reality.' That dream saw him move from West Ham to Tottenham and on to United for £18.6million in 2006.

There is another picture of Carrick with the Champions League trophy after United's 2008 win over Chelsea in Moscow. 'The best feeling I've had in my life,' he says.

Carrick had taken a penalty, and recalls: 'It's horrible. There's a moment when you have a flashback to so many things in one second - stuff like my Wallsend coaches. It's awful, then two seconds later the ball is in the net - what a feeling! Edwin (van der Sar) then saves the last pen and you've won... wow!' The one emotion to rival that was last year's testimonial, as a picture shows Carrick with his son and daughter, Louise, on the pitch at Old Trafford.

Carrick described winning the the Champions League as 'the best feeling I've had in my life'

'To have those two little superstars next to me and see their faces was magical,' he says. 'To also have my brother, Graeme, playing alongside me for the first time was so special, we just wanted to keep the ball and for it to last for ever.' United fans who have travelled north now have the floor.

'Can you get us a ticket for the next away game, it's impossible?' one ventures.

'I can't get one myself, that's why I sit in the dugout,' Carrick comes back.

Carrick admitted Paul Scholes (left) was the best player he played with during his career

Who was the best you played with? 'Paul Scholes,' Carrick replies. 'He's a freak, a genius. I would ring my brother after training to tell him about stuff he'd done, just like a fan. It was a privilege.'

Surely you could still make a difference on the pitch?

'Not a chance!' he says. 'If you'd seen how I played at the end of last season, you'd know I was finished.'

The evening is nearly done, but not before 500 people rise in appreciation of one of their own - be it family, friends, Wallsend alumni, Geordies or United fans, Carrick belongs to them all.

Code:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6321489/Michael-Carrick-reflects-childhood-Wallsend-set-path-glory.html
Old 03-12-2018, 09:02 AM   #546
Andi Istiabudi
manager

CARRICK'S BOOT ROOM BOOSTS LOCAL YOUNGSTERS

Michael Carrick visited the Street Reds projects organised by the Manchester United Foundation this week to give boots away to lucky youngsters.

The current assistant coach and former club captain, who retired from playing earlier this year, set up his Boot Room initiative after forging a partnership with the Foundation and relaunching the Old Trafford Street Reds scheme in his name.

’Carrick’s Street Reds’ is being funded for the next three years by the Michael Carrick Foundation, through money raised from the ex-midfielder's testimonial match in June 2017 when a friendly between the Reds’ 2008 Champions League-winning side and an All-Star XI attracted a crowd of around 69,000 to the Theatre of Dreams.

Through this partnership, children who attend Street Reds were the first to benefit from Carrick’s Boot Room, which has seen over 1,000 pairs of football boots donated across Greater Manchester to be given away to deserving young people.

“The idea was to give children who maybe haven’t got boots the opportunity to be able to play on a level playing field without pressure or feeling like the odd one out,” said Michael. “It’s great to see the smiles on the kids’ faces, it really is priceless. I appreciate all the work of both Foundations; it’s great work and the kids certainly benefit from it.”

During the event, Michael took part in a kickabout with the Street Reds participants, much to the delight of nine-year-old Kwabena who said: “He’s come to see us as a surprise; it makes me feel great and my boots are really cool. It’s the best day of my life.”

The fact the boot giveaway took place so close to the festive period makes the initiative even more special, as Michael explained.

“Christmas can be a mixed time of year,” he said.

“Oobviously some people are fortunate to get what they want and get a lot of things, but some people are not in that position, so it’s nice to be able to make a difference and help out where we can.”

Eight-year-old Georgia was certainly feeling festive as she said: “It feels nice and refreshing because I haven’t had new boots for a long time; it’s like opening a gift when the shoelaces are tied up and it just feels like Christmas.”

Carrick’s Street Reds is part of Manchester United Foundation’s wider Street Reds programme, which operates in 12 targeted locations across Greater Manchester. Street Reds uses the power of football to offer young people positive opportunities and the chance to play, lead and coach in the game, and all participants will benefit from Carrick’s Boot Room donations over the coming weeks.

www.manutd.com
Old 09-01-2019, 07:53 PM   #547
Andi Istiabudi
manager

CARRICK: HOW DUBAI IS HELPING THE UNITED SQUAD

Manchester United coach Michael Carrick has praised the decision to undergo a mid-season training break in Dubai, telling us that it allows for a different and more detailed approach to training.

The 37-year-old, who has been reunited with former colleagues Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and Mike Phelan in his first season after retiring as a player, explained that the climate in the Middle East enables the staff to focus on more detailed sessions.

“It’s fantastic. It allows us to train in a way where you probably can’t do it at home, at this moment, with it being so cold,” reported Carrick.

“We can work on different things. When it’s freezing cold at home, you’ve got to keep on the move and you don’t want the lads standing around too much.

“So here we’ll work hard, especially over the next few days, and prepare for Sunday, but it allows us to maybe spend a little bit more time on the training ground and go into a little bit more detail, which we need at this moment.

“As you can imagine, it’s quite a happy camp. When you're winning football matches, you can’t put a price on the feeling that gives you, and the confidence and the belief.

”You almost sense a calmness when you’re winning games. It’s great to see the lads enjoying themselves. The football’s flowing, the training’s good, they’re bouncing around the place, and it’s nice to see.”

“It’s great to see the lads enjoying themselves. The football’s flowing, the training’s good, they’re bouncing around the place, and it’s nice to see.”

Carrick also revealed his debt to fellow coach Kieran McKenna, as well as the impact made by Mike Phelan, who has been a vital part of United’s upturn in form over the Christmas and New Year period.

“I must say Kieran has been a big help, because he’s an experienced coach and he’s helped me out,” confessed the former midfielder. “As you’d expect, for me, it’s quite new and I am learning on the job a little bit, and he’s been fantastic. He’s a terrific coach and he’s passed on a lot of things already to me. Even though he’s younger than me, he’s a lot more experienced on this side of things.

“It’s nice to see Mike. He’s the calm, wise head really around the place now. He’s been there, he’s seen and done it all, especially at this club with the ins and outs, he knows exactly what to do at the right time, so he’s had a big influence over the last few weeks.”

Of caretaker manager Solskjaer himself, Carrick told us: “Ole’s got that personality that rubs off on everybody, he’s so positive, he’s so upbeat all the time. I think you can see that rubbing off on individuals, and that goes a long way to bringing the best out of the players.”

Carrick made his United debut against Charlton in 2006 - a match also notable for the then injury-plagued Solskjaer’s first goal in almost three years - and only has positive memories of his time playing alongside the Norwegian under Sir Alex Ferguson.

“He was having trouble with injuries a little bit, at the time, but his first goal back at Charlton away was actually my debut, so we were talking about that the other day,“ recalled Michael.

”There’s a photo of that knocking about somewhere, when he taps one in at the back post. His attitude to training, to playing, was the the thing that I remember most, and how high his football intelligence was, and how much you take into the game from learning and talking about the game. His dedication was top drawer.“

Solskjaer’s final goal for the club came later that same season, when he added the fourth in a scintillating second-half comeback against Blackburn Rovers, 18 minutes after Carrick had first put United into the lead.

“That was a good game, actually,” the ex-midfielder remembers. “We were 1-0 down at half-time and ended up winning 4-1 in the end, and I managed to score as well. We were chasing the league, so to be 1-0 down at half-time [was difficult].

“I remember thinking at half-time that we were up against it a little bit but in the second half, we came out and blew them away, and Ole got on the scoresheet. It didn’t happen very often for me, so I do remember it!”

Having moved into coaching after a United career that encompassed 464 appearances, Carrick is now adjusting to the demands of his new profession.

“It’s very different!” he admits. “It’s a big change and the working hours are very different now, something you probably take for granted as a player. You just turn up when everything is done for you. So I’m on the other side and I’m really enjoying it. The preparation and analysis side of things, and trying to get the best out of the players. It’s a challenge because it’s new, but I’m really enjoying it.”

www.manutd.com
Old 10-01-2019, 08:33 AM   #548
zudomiriku
Happy New Year 2023

'It's a happy camp... confidence, belief and almost a sense of calmness': Michael Carrick says Manchester United are on cloud nine after winning start under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer

* Manchester United have won their last five games in all competitions
* New manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has overseen a major upturn in results
* Michael Carrick said it's nice to see the players 'bouncing around' the place
* The assistant coach also revealed that Kieran McKenna has helped him out
* McKenna, five years Carrick's junior, has made helped his transition to coaching

Manchester United's players are rejuvenated after hitting a rich vein of form under new boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, according to assistant coach Michael Carrick.

United's perfect record under their interim manager has seen them win all five games in all competitions by a margin of two goals or more.

Contrast this to the five matches before the Norwegian arrived — two draws, two losses and just a solitary win — and it's easy to see just why the mood in the camp is so buoyant on the club's warm-weather camp out in Dubai.

Michael Carrick has said Manchester United are rejuvenated after earning five wins in a row. United have made a huge turnaround of late, having started the season underwhelmingly

'As you can imagine, it's quite a happy camp,' Carrick told MUTV on Wednesday. 'Winning football matches, you can't put a price on the feeling that gives you and the confidence, belief and almost a sense of calmness in a way.

'It's great to see the lads enjoying themselves. The football is flowing, the training is good and they're bouncing around the place – it's nice to see.'

Of new boss Solskjaer, Carrick added: 'Ole has got that personality that rubs off on everybody – he's so positive, he's so upbeat all the time and I think you can see that rubbing off on individuals. That goes a long way to bringing the best out of the players.'

United face a stiff test against Tottenham on Sunday and have opted for the warmer climes of Dubai to prepare for it – a ploy which Carrick believes will help give them the edge over their opponents, who have had to train in the wintry conditions of the UK.

'It's fantastic,' Carrick said of the trip to the Middle East. 'It allows us to train in a way you probably can't do at home, with it being so cold. We can work on different things. When it's freezing cold at home you've got to keep them on the move, you can't have the lads standing around.

'So here we will work hard over the next few days and prepare for Sunday, but like I said it allows us to maybe spend a little bit more time on the training ground and go into a bit more detail – which we need at this moment.'

Solskjaer's bubbly personality has had a positive effect on the players, says Carrick

Carrick has made the somewhat seamless transition to the dugout, having retired from playing last season.

The former midfielder was employed under Jose Mourinho, but he revealed it is actually 32-year-old Kieran McKenna, United's assistant coach who is five years Carrick's junior, who has taken him under his wing.

'It's a big change,' Carrick said of the transition into coaching. 'The working hours are very different now, which you probably take for granted when you're a player – you just turn up and everything is done for you.

'But now I'm on the other side and enjoying it. The preparation and analysis side, trying to get the best out of the players, it's a challenge. But I'm really enjoying it.

'Kieran has been a big help. He's experienced and he's helped me out. As you'd expect, it's quite new so I am learning on the job a little bit. But he's been fantastic, he's a great coach and he's passed on a lot of things to me already.

'He's younger than me, but he's a lot more experienced on this side of things.'

The former Manchester United midfielder says Kieran McKenna (L) has helped him a lot. McKenna is just 32 but Carrick says he has a wealth of experience in the dugout

To counter the relatively young duo of Carrick and McKenna, however, Mike Phelan was brought back into the fold.

Phelan was employed by United from 1999-2013 and served as Sir Alex Ferguson's assistant for 12 hugely successful years at Old Trafford.

He returned with Solskjaer last month and, as Carrick explained, has been a major driving force behind the upturn of results.

'It's nice to see Mick. He's the calm, wise head around the place. He's been there, he's done it all – especially at this club he knows the ins and outs and what to do at the right time.

'He's had a big influence over the last few weeks.'

United must overcome their biggest challenge yet under Solskjaer with the trip to Spurs, but with the squad riding on a high, Carrick and Co will be hopeful of returning to Manchester with a result.

Mike Phelan has had 'a big influence' over proceedings over the last few weeks at United

Code:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6573247/Michael-Carrick-says-happy-camp-Manchester-United-Ole-Gunnar-Solskjaer.html
Old 11-01-2019, 11:34 PM   #549
Andi Istiabudi
manager

Old 12-01-2019, 06:03 AM   #550
Andi Istiabudi
manager

CARRICK IN CONFIDENT MOOD AHEAD OF SPURS AWAY

With Manchester United and Tottenham Hotspur both in good form, Michael Carrick is convinced Sunday’s collision at Wembley Stadium has all you need to make a great Premier League occasion.

The Reds have registered five consecutive wins across all competitions following the appointment of Ole Gunnar Solskjaer as caretaker manager in late December, boosting morale and confidence.

Likewise, Spurs have tallied up four victories from their last five fixtures and that positive run includes Tuesday night’s 1-0 Carabao Cup semi-final first-leg success over London rivals Chelsea.

United are currently sixth in the Premier League table and beating third-placed Tottenham would provide a massive boost in the pursuit of a top-four place. Obtaining that result will not be easy, of course, but Carrick remains confident that we can come away from Wembley against his old club with three points.

“It’s always nice to play them but, at this moment in time, it’s a huge game for us,” Michael explained to us during an exclusive interview in Dubai, where the squad trained this week. “They’re in good form and we’re in good form so it’s got the makings of a great game. We need the points and that’s all I’m focused on, because it will set us up for, hopefully, a good run until the end of the season.

“It will be tough and we know what to expect. They’re in good form, dangerous and can score goals. They’ve got a lot of threats throughout the team. We’ll be ready for that, but it’s about us. We’ve got such a big threat coming from all angles and that’s what we’re trying to get the best out of.

“The confidence and the belief is there in the squad. A few wins makes such a massive difference to each individual, as well as the team. So we need to keep that going. There is a lot to work on, we’re not taking things for granted, there is a lot more to come, and that’s what we’re striving toward.”

Meanwhile, Carrick has paid tribute to caretaker manager Solskjaer and explained how the Norwegian’s arrival has lifted the squad.

“Ole’s got that personality that rubs off on everybody, he’s so positive, he’s so upbeat all the time,” Michael said in Dubai earlier this week.

“I think you can see that rubbing off on individuals, and that goes a long way to bringing the best out of the players.”

Our recently-retired club legend also praised his fellow coach Kieran McKenna for easing his transition into the next chapter of his career.

“I must say Kieran has been a big help, because he’s an experienced coach and he’s helped me out,” confessed the former midfielder.

“For me, it’s quite new and I am learning on the job a little bit, and he’s been fantastic. He’s a terrific coach and he’s passed on a lot of things already to me. Even though he’s younger than me, he’s a lot more experienced on this side of things.”

www.manutd.com

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 179
A.Per Utd, Aba_MaczUnited, abeat_bjm, adesaktiTRK, adib, aGhaa, agylbonez, aldysetiabudi, alfiandrmwn, alif unyil, ali_iyan, Alphin Ambo, and1, andhikaaw, Andi Istiabudi, andiancha, andy kurniawan, anenk_garcia, an_setanmerah, Ardiey11, arief rachman, arik_, arymashuda, Aso Chrisjefta, ayahocta, Ayunda, B4YU, badehul, bang_zak, bhowz, Blacklist7, Bloody "Devil" R3d, bucay deathbat, Bulma, caesar, chincarito, Cibet22, cimbuang69, cintaoven, czr, Deddy Hernandez, DermawanIsUnitedFans, dery pramudito, dhodoadrian, Dino De Gea, doddlez, dr_ifan, dudut, ecly_watchaa, Eka UPC, endhy_cantona, eross tanto, eyeofday, fadilbedil, fadlysyah, fahlevysred, Fajar_, fajar_lazuardi, fajrinited, Febri Angga, FebryNB, ferly_Liemz, fey777, franky winata, fredrian.seven, frmnsyh_KEANO, Ganda_aja, gery27, ghopoereds, Gustar_UIBontang, Gustiono, h-ANG, Haji Paidin, Hand_rooney, HaRrY-UIK, hendiplast, iamsetia, id4y, ilyasprawibawa, ing areese, irfi_1, irhamutd, ivanzferdinand, jifortin, jojo poenya, just.fluke, kahfi, kaiki, kingherooney, King_Cantona, LAM ILHAM, Lang25, larukuga, leonite, littlebig, MadeForGlory, Mahesa_Jenar, matthewsamad, Merahponod90, MichaelMU, MUFC1878, MuhFher, mu_ciroyom, mygalzbiatch, ncut_lgx, NdeGue, nobitanta, Noe26, normansyahrizal, ocki_26, oldark, ollacarla, Om Juna, om tato, penk22_, prahmono, pukimax, Pure_red, pweechevalier, red, redit, Redsbusby, Ridho_Idham, rifkycyber, rio vander vidic, Riskur, rizkimn11_, rndr_UICSumenep, robby7beckham, rohibur rizqi, ronald hars, ronysnaja, sepatu_ancur, seventh.heaven, sidictheninetythree, simamora16, sompretz, SR 7, stamansa, sudrab, tamiCarrick, tasho, taz_devil_utd, theater of dream, TomEnrico, Trezz Kiko, tumpal_oneunited, tyquack, Ucup Carrick, UdyMUFC, UNITED1878, Unitediction, unreal, VaDLi, vankyoet, Van_Munandar, vdgquintana, Victory, victory II, vivasoilsolid, wahyou91, wakhid ronaldo, waynehanks, wazza_ampuh, william metta, wira_ozora, YANGWAN, Yayat Dg Kulle, yudistira, zeavhere, Zee de Wazza, zudomiriku