United Indonesia - Manchester United Indonesia Supporters Club
Register
Go Back   United Indonesia - Manchester United Indonesia Supporters Club > INSIDE MANCHESTER UNITED > United Lounge

Old 30-12-2021, 09:09 AM   #11
zudomiriku
Happy New Year 2023

Thanked 1,785 Times in 921 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
zudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Manchester United under Rangnick

Gabriel Agbonlahor claims Marcus Rashford, Mason Greenwood and Jadon Sancho are INTIMIDATED by Cristiano Ronaldo, as he calls for Ralf Rangnick to DROP the superstar after Newcastle draw

* Gabriel Agbonlahor says three United stars are intimidated by Cristiano Ronaldo
* The Red Devils put in a lacklustre performance to draw 1-1 with Newcastle
* Ronaldo's antics have been singled out amid accusations of being a 'whingebag'
* And Agbonlahor claims that Ronaldo is intimidating his United team-mates
* The ex-Aston Villa star called on Ralf Rangnick to drop the Portuguese superstar

Gabriel Agbonlahor has suggested that three Manchester United stars are 'scared' of Cristiano Ronaldo after the pundit hit out at the Portuguese's 'sulking' during the Red Devils' 1-1 draw at Newcastle.

United provided a lacklustre performance at St James' Park on Monday night, with Ronaldo, 36, unable to find a winner as Ralf Rangnick's side settled for a point on Tyneside.

Former United legend Gary Neville claimed that the Red Devils' dressing room contained 'whingebags' and questioned the body language of the likes of Ronaldo and Bruno Fernandes.

Gabriel Agbonlahor has claimed that three Man United stars are 'scared' of Cristiano Ronaldo. The Portuguese was criticised for 'sulking' during and after United's 1-1 draw at Newcastle. Ronaldo, 36, has scored 13 goals in 18 games since his return to Old Trafford last summer

And now former Aston Villa star Agbonlahor has suggested that Marcus Rashford, Mason Greenwood and Jadon Sancho are intimidated by the Portuguese superstar.

Ronaldo has scored a superb 13 goals in 18 games for United, but his single-minded approach to goal scoring, Agbonlahor suggests, is having a negative effect on United's young guns.

‘It looks to me like Ronaldo just cares about his goals,’ Agbonlahor told Football Insider. ‘That performance from Ronaldo was somebody sulking all game.

‘He was throwing his hands up in the air because he wasn’t getting chances. Then after the game, he runs off the pitch sulking and I imagine he’s sulking in the changing room.

‘His attitude was off. If I’m Rashford, Greenwood and Sancho I’m scared to have a shot. Every time they have a shot he’s got his arms up to say, “Why haven’t you passed to me?”

‘The harmony is not right in that changing room. The form of Rashford and Greenwood has dropped since Ronaldo has been there.

‘They can’t express themselves, it’s like they think, “I have to pass to Ronaldo, I have to create a chance for Ronaldo”.

‘Before Ronaldo came, Greenwood was taking players on and shots on and he’s not doing that anymore and getting dragged at half-time.

‘If I was Rashford, Greenwood or Sancho I’d be saying to myself, “Oh, why did we have to bring him here?”'

However, Agbonlahor claims Mason Greenwood (above), Marcus Rashford and Jadon Sancho are intimidated by Ronaldo's goal scoring ambitions. The ex-Aston Villa star called on United's interim boss Ralf Rangnick to drop him for Burnley

Agbonlahor suggested that the best solution is for Rangnick to drop Ronaldo, and insisted that if the German 'had anything about him' he would play the youngsters over the Portuguese veteran.

‘He’s an amazing player who has had an amazing career but he’s not the same player he was. United played their best football of the season against Chelsea with Ronaldo on the bench.

‘Rashford, Greenwood and Sancho can play as a front three rotating positions and running in behind. If the manager had anything about him, he’d drop Ronaldo for the next game.’

United will hope to bounce back against Burnley on Thursday night with Rangnick's side now seven points adrift of fourth, a position currently occupied by Arsenal.

Code:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-10352009/Manchester-United-Three-stars-scared-Cristiano-Ronaldo-pundit-claims.html
Old 30-12-2021, 09:20 AM   #12
zudomiriku
Happy New Year 2023

zudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond repute

'It starts up front... and you can speak about the No 10s': Forwards Cristiano Ronaldo, Bruno Fernandes and Marcus Rashford are pinpointed by Ralf Rangnick among Manchester United's 'problems', as the interim boss bemoans a lack of progress

* Manchester United were lucky to escape with a point against Newcastle United
* Interim head coach Ralf Rangnick admitted concern over the lack of progress
* He described their stuttering display at St James' Park as a 'negative surprise'
* Rangnick picked out issues 'up front' and with the 'No 10s' in his United squad

Ralf Rangnick admits Manchester United have not made as much progress as he would have liked in his first month as interim manager.

Rangnick took over from caretaker boss Michael Carrick in the wake of Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s sacking and is unbeaten in his first four games.

However, after starting out with a promising win over Crystal Palace in the Premier League, Rangnick has edged past bottom-of-the-table Norwich and then snatched a fortuitous draw against second-from-bottom Newcastle.

In a press conference where he picked apart issues 'up front' and with his 'No 10s' - the likes of Cristiano Ronaldo, Marcus Rashford and Bruno Fernandes - Rangnick detailed exactly where he believes his side are going wrong.

‘Our problem was that we allowed too many transitional moments,' he said. 'This is not only a problem of the centre-backs, it's a problem of the whole team. It starts up front, it can also be the role of the No 10s in that kind of formation.

Ralf Rangnick described Manchester United's display at Newcastle as a 'negative surprise'. United escaped with a 1-1 draw from St James' Park against a team second-from-bottom

‘I don't think it makes sense to speak about the individual performances of players. We need to get better as a team.’

The German’s plans have been disrupted by a Covid-19 outbreak at United which has led to the club’s Carrington training base being shut down and two fixtures being called off.

Asked ahead of Thursday’s game at home to Burnley if he was happy with his early progress at the club, Rangnick replied: ‘Of course not. Every ambitious coach – and there is no difference between other coaches and myself in that area – wants to take faster steps and larger steps forward.

‘But in order to do that you need to be able to train, and as you know we had to close Carrington for four days. We had eight or nine players in training directly after the Norwich game, and they only came back in bits and pieces.

He picked out issues with players 'up front' and in the 'No 10' position - like Marcus Rashford. The German’s plans have been disrupted by a Covid-19 outbreak at Manchester United. Bruno Fernandes is another player occupying a role that Rangnick picked out as a problem

‘The last few days we were almost back to full strength with regard to the size of the squad, but we couldn't do that much in training.

‘On the other hand, in those two or three training sessions the team looked good and therefore the Newcastle game was a bit of a negative surprise, the way that we played with regard to game speed, game tempo and physicality.’

Raphael Varane returned from injury at St James’ Park, but he and captain Harry Maguire were criticised for their performances in central defence as United got away with a 1-1 draw.

Rangnick added: ‘I don't think Rapha has played for the last five or six weeks. He was injured from the Tottenham game. He made a mistake for the first goal we conceded, but apart from that he was okay.

‘I wouldn't say he was outstanding and the same with Harry, but I think they did okay.

Edinson Cavani also made his comeback from injury and came off the bench to score United’s equaliser.

‘Actually in the last two days I was also considering to play him from the start,’ revealed Rangnick. ‘I spoke to him and he didn't feel comfortable to play from the beginning. He didn't know how fit he really was, but after being 1-0 down at half-time it was clear to me that we had to take more risks. We needed to change something and that's why we decided to bring on him and Jadon (Sancho) at half-time.’

Code:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-10352929/Ralf-Rangnick-calls-Manchester-Uniteds-stuttering-display-against-Newcastle-negative-surprise.html
Old 04-01-2022, 08:32 AM   #13
zudomiriku
Happy New Year 2023

'There was no identity': Ralf Rangnick's 4-2-2-2 formation 'DOESN'T WORK', insists Jamie Redknapp as he accuses interim Man United boss of 'making up systems' during dismal defeat by Wolves

*Jamie Redknapp critcised Ralf Rangnick's tactics after Manchester United's loss
* United were beaten 1-0 by Wolves and weren't able to take control of the game
* Redknapp believes United have to find a manager to oversee a long-term project

Jamie Redknapp accused Manchester United of lacking identity after Ralf Rangnick's side fell to a 1-0 defeat at home to Wolves.

United were woeful in the first half at Old Trafford, and, although they improved in the second period, they ended up being beaten following a strike from Joao Moutinho in the 82nd minute.

Rangnick has struggled to get the best out of United's players since being appointed as interim manager, and Redknapp believes that the German's 4-2-2-2 formation doesn't work.

After a dour first half display, Rangnick switched to three at the back, but Redknapp says his tactics aren't working.

Speaking on Sky Sports, Redknapp said: 'We speak about managers coming into the game and he came in with this famed 4-2-2-2 system - it doesn't work.

'When you come here, you have to have the right players, it doesn't matter what system you play. Then he went to a three at the back, today he played 4-4-2 and at the end of it, I think he's making up systems. There was no real identity of how they were trying to play.'

Redknapp felt that United's display against Wolves was even worse than the 4-1 defeat to Watford which ended up costing Ole Gunnar Solskjaer his job.

Former Liverpool midfielder Redknapp stressed that United lacked control in midfield and are very far off the level of performances that are often produced by their rivals Manchester City.

Jamie Redknapp says Ralf Rangnick's 4-2-2-2 formation isn't working for Manchester United. Redknapp accused United of lacking an identity following their 1-0 defeat against Wolves. Redknapp stressed that United didn't control the game in the way Manchester City do. According to Redknapp, United need a manager for a long-term project like Jurgen Klopp at Liverpool

Redknapp continued: 'The Watford performance (losing 4-1 in Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's last game in charge) was a real low for Manchester United, but I'm sure the Manchester United fans will have looked today and thought, 'At least we'll look to be exciting going forward', but there was nothing today. They never had control of the game.

'When you watch Manchester City play and all the best teams, they have control in the midfield. United never had any control of that midfield today. Never once have they played passes to each other, they never had an ability to just take the sting out of the game, to get some confidence.'

Redknapp also pointed out that it is important for United to find a manager who will be at the club for the long term. Rangnick is set to be in charge until the end of the season before continuing in a consultancy role for two years.

Paul Ince described United as 'a soft, soft team' and added that they are lacking in quality

However, Redknapp stressed that United are in need of a long-term project and a manager who is capable of overseeing such a process in the same way that Jurgen Klopp has done to excellent effect at Liverpool.

Redknapp said: 'It can't get any worse after that performance. It doesn't take a day or two days to make that change. These are unprecedented times. If he's your long term project you need to give him time but you have to an idea of what you're doing.

'At Liverpool it took 30 years until you found Jurgen Klopp. Man United need to find their Klopp. I see too many players playing within themselves. You can't think you've made it in this game. The reason Man City are the best team is because they work harder than everyone else. Right now United are putting in these performances too often.'

In addition, Redknapp stated that Rangnick made a mistake in assigning Mason Greenwood and Jadon Sancho tasks that they are uncomfortable with in terms of having to frequently run and press.

Redknapp said: 'After five, ten minutes you can see you have a problem in midfield. I felt sorry for Matic and McTominay because they never had options. That's what Pep wants to do, command the midfield. The way Rangnick set up, you were never going to get control of the ball.

'You cannot ask Sancho and Greenwood to play like he did at Leipzig. They've got to be so fit and strong on the ball. Sancho looks like he can't raise a gallop at the moment. He looks fine in tight areas but he looks like he can't run past anyone. If you're going to be a United winger, you've got to run past people.'

Paul Ince was also heavily critical of United after the game and described them as 'a soft, soft team' who don't possess as much quality as many people think they do.

Ince said: 'This is a soft, soft team. I don't see great players. Ronaldo is a great players, I don't see anyone else there. Fernandes and Rashford have gone off the boil. They haven't got a great team.

'David de Gea has been outstanding, but it's not even who you keep it's the mentality you need to have to play for Man. United.'

'When you see Tuchel, Pep, Klopp, you see the demands they put on the players, that's what's missing at United.'

Code:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-10365671/Jamie-Redknapp-criticises-Manchester-United-manager-Ralf-Rangnick-following-defeat-Wolves.html
Old 05-01-2022, 09:06 AM   #14
zudomiriku
Happy New Year 2023

Paul Merson rips into 'embarrassing' Manchester United after their defeat by Wolves... as he insists they 'missed the boat with Antonio Conte' and 'need to act fast' to sort out a permanent manager after Ralf Rangnick

* Manchester United were outclassed by Wolves in a 1-0 defeat at Old Trafford
* Paul Merson said that United were 'torn to shreds' by the West Midlands side
* He has questioned why United didn't go for Antonio Conte to be their manager
* Merson feels that they need to act quickly to sort out a permanent manager

Paul Merson has delivered a damning verdict of Manchester United's miserable display against Wolves, labelling the Old Trafford side 'embarrassing'.

Ralf Rangnick suffered his first defeat as interim manager at the club as United fell to a 1-0 defeat to Wolves thanks to an 82nd-minute Joao Moutinho strike.

Merson has described that United performance on Monday night as 'embarrassing,' after they were outclassed by the West Midlands side.

In his column for Sky Sports, the Soccer Saturday panellist said: 'It was embarrassing for Manchester United. Embarrassing.

Paul Merson has described Manchester United's display against Wolves as 'embarrassing'. The Red Devils were outplayed by Wolves on home soil as they fell to a below-par 1-0 defeat

'Watching the game, I'd go as far as cringeworthy. United had no plan and it was like the players were just going out and doing whatever they wanted. They were playing their own game.'

He added: 'I've never really seen anything like it from Manchester United. It's worrying. This is Man Utd and they got absolutely ripped to shreds against Wolves at Old Trafford.'

Merson also said that Manchester United 'missed the boat' with Antonio Conte and were 'lazy' not to go for him.

The Italian had been linked with the United job towards the end of Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's spell as manager.

United opted to give the Norwegian more time, while Tottenham wasted no time by sacking Nuno Espirito Santo and immediately appointing Conte.

Not long after, United sacked Solskjaer and appointed Rangnick as interim manager until the end of the season.

Merson said: 'When you look at Tottenham now, it was just lazy from United that they didn't go for him.

'Spurs are a completely different team now. He's come in and he's spoken, and how can you not listen to a guy like Conte. He's won the league everywhere he's been. He comes in and he doesn't mess about.

Merson says Manchester United were 'lazy' not to pursue Antonio Conte as manager. Merson says there is not much Ralf Rangnick can do during his short stint as interim boss. Merson says United need to act quickly to find a permanent manager going forward

'On the other hand, Rangnick is at United for just six months. What can he do in that time?'

Merson has also insisted Manchester United should go out and 'buy a manager' as a matter of priority.

He said: 'It is one of the things I just don't get with football. It's all about money, transfers and bringing in players, but nobody ever pays the big bucks to go and get a manager.

'If they do, everyone is talking about how much they cost, but if you haven't got the manager you aren't winning anything, in my opinion. Manchester United need to act and fast.'

Code:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-10368855/Manchester-United-Paul-Merson-says-Red-Devils-need-act-fast-sort-permanent-manager.html
Old 05-01-2022, 09:08 AM   #15
zudomiriku
Happy New Year 2023

Manchester United's coach killers are at it AGAIN: There are splits in the 'oppressive' Old Trafford dressing room, with morale on the floor and Ralf Rangnick detached from his unhappy players

* Manchester United are currently in a mess that doesn't reflect well on anyone
* The squad lacks togetherness and half of the players are unhappy at the club
* Senior players talk about the atmosphere being the worst it's ever been
* The buck has to start falling on the players at some point rather than managers

It's a mess and one that does not reflect well on anyone connected with Manchester United. Certainly not the players. Not the Old Trafford hierarchy or Ole Gunnar Solskjaer either. Not even Ralf Rangnick.

When Luke Shaw spoke about a lack of togetherness in the wake of Monday's hopeless defeat by Wolves, he was chipping away at the facade that has crumbled since Solskjaer departed in November.

The Norwegian was popular but the notion of him as some kind of Pied Piper who led United back into the light after the dark days of Jose Mourinho, leaving behind a better club for his successor, can be dismissed now.

It was such a happy camp that the first thing Rangnick did was to hire a sports psychologist and then warn the players to sort out their awful body language after Gary Neville branded them 'a bunch of whinge-bags'.

More questions have been raised about Manchester United after their woeful loss to Wolves. The squad lacked togetherness as admitted by Luke Shaw in his post-match interview

And as soon as the January transfer window swung open, players such as Anthony Martial, Edinson Cavani, Donny van de Beek, Dean Henderson, Juan Mata and Jesse Lingard were looking to escape through it.

They are among a fringe group who cannot understand why they have not played more when the team have been so bad. Solskjaer is said to have made it worse by putting an arm around their shoulders and making promises he could not keep. Players prefer to be told straight.

Rangnick is a cooler, more distant figure but there is still frustration that he continues to pick from largely the same pool.

The mood at Carrington is so bad it has been described as oppressive. Up to half the squad are said to be unhappy. Senior players talk openly about this being the worst group and atmosphere they can remember. They are a disparate, divided bunch split into cliques.

When Cristiano Ronaldo organised a team-bonding dinner in November, there were some notable absentees.

Sportsmail revealed that he was shocked by the drop in standards when he returned to the club. Zlatan Ibrahimovic felt the same when he joined United in 2016, and the Swede says so in his new autobiography, Adrenaline.

It's a mess and one that does not reflect well on anyone connected with Manchester United. Claims Ole Gunnar Solskjaer left United better off than Jose Mourinho can be dismissed. Sportsmail revealed in November that Cristiano Ronaldo was shocked at the state of the club. Players like Edinson Cavani would leave the club in January if they were able to do so

'Everyone thinks of United as a top club, one of the richest and most powerful in the world and seen from the outside it looked that way to me. But once I was there I found a small, closed mentality,' wrote Ibrahimovic, while revealing that he was once docked £1 from his £367,000-a-week salary for taking fruit juice from a hotel mini-bar on a club trip.

It is easy to point the finger at the club and the managers or the suits who have appointed them and overseen such a poor transfer strategy over the last decade, but the players must surely take responsibility for this mess too.

Many of them have been at Old Trafford for years now as part of a hugely expensive squad who have not won a single trophy since 2017. How many managers must fall before the buck stops with them?

Roy Keane accused them of throwing Mourinho under the bus and little seems to have changed. Paul Scholes didn't hold back after the Wolves defeat, posting a since-deleted message on social media. 'F****** joke,' he wrote, branding them 's***houses'.

In America, they have a different term for these athletes: coach killers.

On Solskjaer's final day, after he had cleared his desk at Carrington, he was asked by some members of staff why he hadn't done more to expose the players who let him down so badly by criticising them in public. The question was met with a rueful smile and shrug of the shoulders.

Rangnick has inherited that problem now and the scale of it is becoming clear to the interim manager.

He arrived with a reputation for pressing and although the players stuck to the game plan for the first half of his first game against Crystal Palace, we have seen precious little of it since. United were fortunate to take seven points from games against the bottom three before Wolves gave them a painful reality check. You can't be too critical of Rangnick after one defeat but Jamie Redknapp accused him of 'making up systems' when he switched from 4-2-2-2 to a back-three.

More questions will be asked if things don't improve and not just here. Rangnick is held in high esteem in Germany, but there was surprise when he landed the United job. The feeling was that, at 63, his days of coaching in Europe's top leagues were probably over and there was a reason United found him working as head of sport and development in Russia at Lokomotiv Moscow.

He has cut a rather detached figure since arriving in Manchester, happy to leave his new first-team coach Chris Armas and psychologist Sascha Lense to try to lift the mood around the club. It will not be an easy task.

Code:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-10369217/Manchester-Uniteds-coach-killers-Oppressive-Old-Trafford-camp-cliques.html
Old 06-01-2022, 08:47 AM   #16
zudomiriku
Happy New Year 2023

MARTIN KEOWN: Ralf Rangnick is failing to improve Manchester United's pitiful pressing... the German has big calls to make but he MUST keep Cristiano Ronaldo in his starting XI

* Manchester United lost 1-0 at home to Wolves on Monday night
* There was no sign of the control and pressing Ralf Rangnick demanded
* Luke Shaw admitted United lacked intensity and aggression in the defeat
* United are seventh in the table, four points off a Champions League spot

Ralf Rangnick was hired as a quick-fix boss but he isn’t fixing Manchester United’s problems nearly quickly enough.

I was shocked by the ease with which Wolves built their attacks from the back during their 1-0 win at Old Trafford on Monday. It was the first time United had faced a three-man defence under Rangnick and it looked like the players didn’t know when and how to press.

Rangnick is a very intelligent tactician, but this screamed of a lack of preparation. The match was barely one minute old when Wolves beat United’s press for the first time.

It started with Jadon Sancho flying forward to put pressure on right-sided centre back Max Kilman, which left Luke Shaw with two players to pick up in Nelson Semedo and Francisco Trincao (Picture 1).

Kilman passes to Semedo, who cuts inside and is followed by Shaw, leaving Trincao all on his own and in space on the wing (Picture 2). Semedo passes to Joao Moutinho, who sets Trincao away with one pass (Picture 3).

Wolves went on to have their first of 19 shots at Old Trafford from this passage of play. This unlocking of the door was happening repeatedly on both sides of the pitch.

United were carved open by Wolves on Monday night and struggled to control the game

Shaw said that United lacked intensity, aggression, and motivation. But what was most glaring and worrying was the lack of direction from a manager who, with his 20 years of experience in charge of various clubs, will surely have faced systems like the one Wolves used on Monday.

Rangnick did change system at half-time and matched up to the visitors, moving to a back three of his own with Phil Jones, Raphael Varane and Shaw. Aaron Wan-Bissaka moved to right wing-back, Sancho went to left wing-back and, significantly, Mason Greenwood played off the front two.

It gave United much more of a foothold in the game as they managed 76 per cent possession in the first 10 minutes of the second half.

But Rangnick, with his football knowledge, should have been making changes much earlier than at half-time.

Their first-half system failure had a massive impact on United’s players’ performance and confidence. It affected them for the rest of that match and they ended up losing.

Rangnick will be considering what to do with his formation now. He has learned the hard way that he will not get the same protection that was afforded his predecessor Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, who was a great of the club.

If anything goes wrong, he will get criticism by the bucket-load and it will come at him from all quarters.

Luke Shaw conceded United lacked intensity and aggression against Wolves on Monday. Jadon Sancho was underwhelming against Wolves and was replaced in the second half

But he deserves time before being written off. Solskjaer had three years and Rangnick has had two months.

United can still finish fourth in the Premier League, but mistakes like the ones made against Wolves need to be kept to a minimum.

Rangnick will be wondering if it is feasible to continue using Cristiano Ronaldo and Edinson Cavani as twin strikers. It feels as if he has been trying to accommodate both, but there aren’t many coaches who play with two up front now. That a rarity in the modern game and this pair have a combined age of 70.

Cristiano Ronaldo has struggled for form since Ralf Rangnick's arrival at Old Trafford. Edinson Cavani has started the last two Premier League games alongside Ronaldo

On either side of Ronaldo and Cavani, Rangnick has been using two young and exciting withdrawn wingers but they haven’t been effective enough with or without the ball. Sancho needs to be more direct, and so does Greenwood.

I prefer a front three. Ronaldo could act as the single striker for United — he made good runs against Wolves but was ignored by a midfield who rarely looked for the guy who has scored more than 800 goals in his career.

Regardless of the formation, the players’ decision-making needs to improve, and so must Rangnick’s if United are to grab a Champions League spot.

Code:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-10372685/MARTIN-KEOWN-Ralf-Rangnick-isnt-fixing-Manchester-Uniteds-problems-quickly-enough.html
Old 07-01-2022, 09:32 AM   #17
zudomiriku
Happy New Year 2023

Ralf Rangnick is NOT SURE he has time to save season with Manchester United stars unwilling to buy into the ideas of interim boss, questioning his training techniques and doubts over coaches Chris Armas and Ewan Sharp

* Below-par performances have left Man United seventh in the Premier League
* Ralf Rangnick's position has been weakened by the short-term nature of his job
* He will hand over reins at the end of the season and take up a consultancy role
* Up to half the squad want to leave and the dressing room is divided into cliques

Ralf Rangnick fears he hasn’t got the time or influence to solve Manchester United’s troubles before his job as interim manager ends in May.

Sportsmail revealed the extent of the problems facing Rangnick last week after he walked into a toxic environment that rivals even the darkest period under Jose Mourinho.

Morale is low with up to half the squad wanting to leave, the dressing room divided into cliques, and below-par performances on the pitch leaving United seventh in the Premier League.

Rangnick is said to feel that he simply doesn’t have enough time to make the changes he knows are needed before the end of the season, when he will hand over the reins and take up a two-year consultancy role with the club.

Ralf Rangnick's position has been weakened because the short-term nature of his job. The club are looking to offload certain players but their high salaries are a stumbling block

The 63-year-old German’s position has also been weakened because the short-term nature of his job means players are less likely to buy into his ideas than if he were the permanent manager.

Most of United’s problems existed before Rangnick succeeded Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.

However, doubts are already being expressed over his training techniques and the calibre of coaching staff he has brought in after Chris Armas and Ewan Sharp joined United until the end of the season.

Doubts have been expressed over the calibre of coaches Chris Armas (R) and Ewan Sharp (L)

Armas had been sacked twice in the 15 months before his arrival, — by MLS clubs New York Red Bulls and Toronto FC — and Sharp followed Rangnick to Old Trafford from Lokomotiv Moscow.

Rangnick is believed to have identified a selfish element among the United dressing room who are reluctant to pull together for the team — a problem first detected by Mourinho.

While the club would be happy to offload certain players, their high salaries are a stumbling block for any transfer or loan deals.

Anthony Martial’s £200,000-a-week wages are jeopardising a loan move to Sevilla, and Phil Jones’ injury record would be an issue due to his £120,000-a-week pay.

It means that Rangnick could be stuck with an unhappy camp until his tenure ends in the summer when Paul Pogba, Jesse Lingard, Edinson Cavani and Juan Mata could leave as free agents.

A number of other players are expected to follow — if they don’t go in this transfer window.

Code:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-10376735/Rangnicks-not-sure-time-save-season-Man-United-stars-unwilling-buy-ideas.html
Old 07-01-2022, 09:39 AM   #18
zudomiriku
Happy New Year 2023

Thierry Henry comes to the defence of Manchester United stars Cristiano Ronaldo and Bruno Fernandes as he points the finger at three other players for not pulling their weight this season

* Manchester United have endured a frustrating first-half to the season
* Thierry Henry has defended star players Cristiano Ronaldo and Bruno Fernandes
* He feels other players should be contributing to United's goal tally more

Thierry Henry has come to the defence of Manchester United stars Cristiano Ronaldo and Bruno Fernandes but has pointed the finger at three other members of Ralf Rangnick's squad.

Manchester United have endured a challenging campaign, with Ole Gunnar Solskjaer sacked after a series of woeful displays with performances not looking much better under new interim manager Ralf Rangnick.

Ronaldo and Fernandes have both faced criticism this season, with Gary Neville calling them out for 'whinging' after United's 1-1 draw with Newcastle earlier this week.

During Amazon Prime's coverage of the Red Devils' 3-1 win over Burnley, Henry defended both players but hit out at Jadon Sancho, Anthony Martial and Marcus Rashford for their poor returns.

He said: 'As always, it should be the team. I don't think it's right when a player at the end is singled out because he makes the team win the game.

'I think it has to be a team effort and a lot of people, for me, are getting away with you know what and I won't say because some might take it the wrong way but it's a bit too much at times.

Thierry Henry has come to the defence of both Cristiano Ronaldo and Bruno Fernandes. Both players have faced criticism after a challenging start to the season for the Red Devils. Both players have contributed to United's goal tally this season - with Ronaldo netting 14

'It's too easy to attack Ronaldo, it's too easy to attack Bruno Fernandes - the guys that are delivering.

'When you see the numbers, Sancho, Martial and Rashford have less goals than Cornet for Burnley, a team that is not often on the ball. A team not really dominating games.'

It hasn't been the easiest return for Ronaldo at United and the Portuguese star has been seen storming down the tunnel without acknowledging the fans in several games.

However, he has come to United's rescue on numerous occasions this season and has scored 14 goals in 20 appearances.

Jadon Sancho (left) has scored twice this season - though was unlucky not to get a third at Burnley which went down as an own-goal

Anthony Martial has scored just one goal this season and looks set to leave the club

Fernandes has had a downturn in his attacking output so far this season, scoring just five times in 23 games - comparing to 28 goals and 17 assists in all competitions last campaign.

Jadon Sancho has scored just twice since his £73m arrival in the summer from Borussia Dortmund, but was unfortunate not to get a third when his shot deflected in off Ben Mee against Burnley on Thursday night.

Martial meanwhile is expected to leave Old Trafford having failed to impress Rangnick, with Rashford also struggling to make an impact after returning from a lengthy injury lay-off in October.

Marcus Rashford has scored three times but has struggled to find form after returning from injury

Code:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-10358103/Thierry-Henry-defends-Cristiano-Ronaldo-Bruno-Fernandes-hits-three-Man-United-stars.html
Old 10-01-2022, 09:12 AM   #19
zudomiriku
Happy New Year 2023

Manchester United legend Lou Macari says players 'kicking off in the dressing room' should be KICKED OUT - in a scathing attack on Ralf Rangnick's under-performing stars on the club's own TV station

* Old Trafford legend Lou Macari has taken aim at United's moaning players
* Macari used the club's in-house TV channel, MUTV, to air his frustrations
* He said anyone complaining in the dressing room should be 'kicked out the club'
* It comes as interim boss Ralf Rangnick struggles to turn a torrid season around
* Squad morale is on the floor with doubts over Rangnick's tactics and formation
* The German has admitted he doesn't have to time to solve all United's problems

Lou Macari has ripped into Manchester United's moaning stars and demanded the club boot out anyone not fighting for the cause.

It comes as interim manager Ralf Rangnick contends with a divided dressing room and demotivated players as he tries to turn United's nose-diving season around.

In a further embarrassment for the club, Old Trafford legend Macari used their in-house television channel, MUTV, to air his strong views on the state of the team as they scramble to make the Premier League top four.

A miserable 1-0 home defeat to Wolves last Monday leaves United languishing seventh in the table.

Manchester United legend Lou Macari has blasted the whingeing stars in the squad and demanded anyone moaning be kicked out the club. It comes as United's season lurches from one setback to another with player morale on the floor as the players refuse to buy into the methods of interim coach Ralf Rangnick

Macari said: 'Anyone kicking off in the dressing room, kick them out of the club. Get rid of them and I'm talking about the players doing that by the way.

'70,000 United supporters can't be wrong every week. These players have to start showing something.'

Macari, 72, who made 404 appearances for United between 1973 and 1984, added: 'You've got the money and the lifestyle, what more do you want?

'I'm getting annoyed. I should be watching 11 happy players enjoying the game but I'm not detecting that.

'I don't see 11 happy players and they are second to most balls. Where's the aggression gone?'

Ralf Rangnick doubts he can solve all of United's problems during his short time in charge

Sportsmail has reported how morale is on the floor at United with the dressing room divided into cliques and frustrations mounting over Rangnick's team selections.

This has translated to negative body language on the pitch with the team playing well beneath the expected standards in recent weeks against sides towards the bottom of the table.

With Rangnick set to be replaced by a permanent manager in the summer, the players are reluctant to adapt to the methods of him and the coaching staff he has brought in.

There has been a reluctance to commit to the hard pressing game that is Rangnick's hallmark and doubts over the 4-2-2-2 formation that seems ill-suited to the players in the United side.

The team put in a dreadful performance in their 1-0 home defeat by Wolves on Monday night. It's far from certain United have moved on at all since Ole Gunnar Solskjaer was sacked

Rangnick has himself admitted defeat in solving the myriad of problems affecting United in such a short period of time.

What's more, half the squad could also depart in the summer with contracts running down.

Sportsmail reported on Thursday that a staggering 17 players are unhappy and an exodus possible before next season.

Forgotten striker Anthony Martial will go out on loan this month if Sevilla improve their offer and isn't likely to be missed given the surplus of attacking options.

Likewise Jesse Lingard, who has long since concluded his future lies away from Old Trafford as he warms the bench.

Paul Pogba's contract also expires in the summer and a renewal is highly unlikely, with Rangnick making clear he doesn't intend to try and convince the French midfielder to stay.

Pogba's representatives dismissed reports United had offered him a new £500,000-a-week contract.

Cavani and Juan Mata will be free agents come the summer, while Donny van de Beek, Dean Henderson and Eric Bailly are all open to moves.

Phil Jones made his first United appearance for almost two years against Wolves but may yet leave, while Nemanja Matic, Fred and Diogo Dalot all enter the final year of their contracts in the summer.

United play Aston Villa in the third round of the FA Cup on Monday night.

Code:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-10381389/Manchester-United-legend-Lou-Macari-lays-moaning-players.html
Old 10-01-2022, 09:35 AM   #20
zudomiriku
Happy New Year 2023

Player morale is on the floor, the formation is wrong, sulking stars won't adopt his pressing game and half the squad want to leave! Ralf Rangnick's long list of issues as Man United's interim boss

* Manchester United have endured a dreadful week both on and off the pitch
* Monday's home defeat to Wolves was one of the worst performances in ages
* Revelations have since emerged about the negativity around Old Trafford now
* Morale is on the floor in a divided dressing room as Rangnick tries to fix issues
* Interim coach has already admitted he lacks the time and influence to sort it

For quite a few clubs at the top end of the Premier League, the third round of the FA Cup this weekend will offer some welcome respite.

It's been pretty full-on during the festive period, with Covid outbreaks and mounting injury lists only adding to the usual pressure of playing every two or three days.

But for Manchester United, who host Aston Villa on Monday night, a change of competition most definitely will not ease the lengthening list of problems faced by interim manager Ralf Rangnick.

Just as it seemed this ailing team might be heading in the right direction again, a thoroughly dreadful 1-0 defeat to Wolves has been followed by all manner of revelations about the true state of affairs inside the club.

It has been another difficult week for Manchester United's interim manager Ralf Rangnick. The team put in a dreadful performance in their 1-0 home defeat by Wolves on Monday night

It already seems that Rangnick has conceded defeat in his mission to turn United around before the end of the season following the disasters in the latter part of Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's reign.

The German fears he lacks the time and influence to solve United's myriad problems between now and the end of the season.

And, in all honesty, he may be right. Sportsmail takes a look at the long list of issues Rangnick and United face as we enter the second half of the campaign.

Players not responding to 'interim' coach

Rangnick may be an experienced coach but he was always in a position of weakness by the nature of his interim position at Old Trafford.

It seems the players aren't buying into his ideas and philosophy because they know he'll be going from the touchline to a behind closed doors advisory role in May.

There is a complete lack of permanence to the current situation, just speculation on who might come in over the summer to rip everything up and start again.

It could be Mauricio Pochettino, Erik ten Hag, Brendan Rodgers or someone completely different.

For Rangnick, the mission was to deliver United into the top four and progress as far as possible in the FA Cup and the Champions League while playing some attractive football if at all possible.

It hasn't taken him too long to realise there are so many deep-lying and longstanding issues at United, he simply doesn't have the time to tackle them all.

And when the players are reluctant to even listen to his instructions, what's the point of even getting started?

United appeared to have turned a corner with a good display against Burnley just before new year but the Wolves defeat was a reminder of how far they have fallen back from their rivals

Doubts over his backroom staff

There was some change and some continuity when it came to the backroom staff as Rangnick replaced the sacked Solskjaer in December.

Michael Carrick took charge of three games as a caretaker boss - with some success - but then left the club, while former first-team coach Kieran McKenna is now in charge at Ipswich.

Mike Phelan remained as assistant manager but Rangnick has brought in some of his own trusted personnel too in Chris Armas and Ewan Sharp to coach the team.

But there are already doubts coming from the players over the coaching techniques and calibre of these two.

Rangnick hired Chris Armas (right) but there are already doubts among the players over him. Doubts have been expressed over the calibre of coaches Armas and Ewan Sharp

Armas was sacked twice in the 15 months prior to his arrival by MLS clubs New York Red Bulls and Toronto FC, whereas Sharp followed Rangnick to United from Lokomotiv Moscow.

He also appointed Sascha Lense, the first full-time sports psychologist United have had in 20 years.

Rangnick said it is 'absolutely logical' to have a psychologist on the staff at a club to 'help the players understand that the brain should assist the body, not work against it.'

Unfortunately, Lense, Armas and Sharp appear to have their work cut out even getting the players to respond to them, let alone make a positive impact.

With Rangnick often taking a back seat in training - he has cut a rather detached figure since arriving in Manchester - a lot rests on the shoulders of these trusted lieutenants.

Morale at rock bottom

You only have to glance at the body language of United's players during games - the slumped shoulders, downcast expressions and flailing arms when passes go astray (which against Wolves was nearly every one) - to realise morale is on the floor.

Even senior players are coming out and admitting the mood inside the camp is terrible, with Luke Shaw questioning the togetherness of the side and making a slightly pointed suggestion that Rangnick needs to bring in some fresh ideas.

Former United defender Gary Neville branded them a 'bunch of whingebags' after the poor display at Newcastle over Christmas and he's hit the nail on the head.

With several members of the squad wanting to leave, inconsistent results and performances, and the transient nature of Rangnick's appointment, any facade that United's was a happy camp has been shattered.

There are divides within the squad, which is split up into cliques, and frustration among fringe players that Rangnick tends to put out similar line-ups to those Solskjaer did.

With up to half the squad said to be unhappy and senior players speaking openly about this being the worst atmosphere they can remember, there seems little hope of a quick improvement.

In November, Cristiano Ronaldo organised a team-bonding dinner but there were several absentees.

United's players have been described as a 'bunch of whingebags' with morale on the floor. Luke Shaw said he didn't feel that United's players 'were all there together' during the game. It's far from certain Man United have moved on at all since Ole Gunnar Solskjaer was sacked

The Portuguese star is well-placed to judge the decline in standards at United from the successful Sir Alex Ferguson era and Sportsmail revealed his shock at how things had gone downhill.

Another factor is that everything was supposed to be very different this season.

Progress under Solskjaer came at a glacial pace sometimes but there's no doubt he'd moved United on.

Having finished second in the Premier League last season and come within a whisker of winning the Europa League, this was meant to be the season they ended a five-year trophy drought.

The summer acquisitions of Jadon Sancho, Raphael Varane and then Ronaldo made this even more likely. But instead it's been a complete car crash.

Formation is just wrong

The moment Rangnick abandoned his tried and trusted 4-2-2-2 formation midway through then Wolves game and switched to three at the back could well be the moment he realised it simply doesn't work for United.

You can't blame Rangnick for sticking with what he knows best after being parachuted in but he should have realised sooner the system doesn't suit the players at his disposal.

It places too much burden on wing-backs such as Shaw and Aaron Wan-Bissaka to not only provide all the width in the side but also the expected defensive cover.

Wolves got in behind these two time after time on Monday night, allowing them to dominate proceedings and create a bagful of chance.

Rangnick's 4-2-2-2 formation doesn't get the best out of players such as Jadon Sancho (left) or Mason Greenwood (right), both of which thrive in wide areas

Aaron Wan-Bissaka (pictured) and Luke Shaw were left with much to do in defence and attack

Any opponent with a smidgen of attacking pace can easy bypass the midfield pair, while the likes of Sancho, Marcus Rashford and Mason Greenwood are just totally wasted playing in a narrow and congested central third rather than spreading wide.

Rangnick thought Ronaldo and Edinson Cavani would be the ideal front two but the evidence of the Wolves game suggested otherwise.

There was no cohesion between anyone, with passes going astray all over the field and attackers making the wrong decisions when they did get into the final third.

In short, it was a shambolic mess.

We may see a change for the Villa game. The sensible option would be to revert to the 4-2-3-1 formation that Solskjaer favoured, for the simple reason that the players are comfortable with it.

It wasn't always the most effective set-up but it did get results more often than not. But we will see.

Stars don't fancy pressing game

The central pillar of Rangnick's football philosophy is control. Control of the ball and tempo of a match equals control of the scoreline.

In order to get control, Rangnick demands his players work with maximum intensity and press opponents as high up the field as possible.

Everyone is expected to press, even the forwards, because mistakes can quite often be forced, leading to goals.

United were carved open by Wolves on Monday night and struggled to control the game

In his first game in interim charge, the 1-0 home win over Crystal Palace, the first 45 minutes were as though United had been remoulded in the image of Rangnick.

They never stopped running, putting Palace's defenders in all manner of difficulty. Since then, we haven't seen a gentle squidge let alone an intense press.

The same energy was lacking in the win at Norwich and the risible display at Newcastle.

Against Wolves, a step up in quality, the lack of pressing meant United were sliced open again and again.

Manchester United's pressing was excellent in Rangnick's first game in charge against Crystal Palace, when Brazilian midfielder Fred (pictured) scored the winner, but has been lacking since

Now, it wasn't Rangnick's fault that training was disrupted by a Covid outbreak just at the crucial moment he should have been hammering home the positives from the Palace performance.

But it's already evident that most of the players have decided that pressing - something United just didn't do under Solskjaer - isn't something they want to add to their game.

Half the squad want to leave!

It used to be gospel that after leaving Manchester United, the only way in your career was down.

Now players cannot wait to get away, with Sportsmail reporting on Thursday that a staggering 17 players are unhappy and an exodus is possible before next season.

Forgotten striker Anthony Martial will go out on loan this month if Sevilla improve their offer and isn't likely to be missed given the surplus of attacking options.

Likewise Jesse Lingard, who has long since concluded his future lies away from Old Trafford as he warms the bench.

Paul Pogba's contract also expires in the summer and a renewal is highly unlikely, with Rangnick making clear he doesn't intend to try and convince the French midfielder to stay.

Cavani and Juan Mata will be free agents come the summer, while Donny van de Beek, Dean Henderson and Eric Bailly are all open to moves.

Phil Jones made his first United appearance for almost two years against Wolves but may yet leave, while Nemanja Matic, Fred and Diogo Dalot all enter the final year of their contracts in the summer.

So whoever comes in as United's new manager in the summer could face a complete squad rebuild.

And so the vicious cycle of backing a manager with tens of millions of pounds to make their mark on the team begins all over again.

Fixtures will only get tougher

What's alarming is that Rangnick really did have a soft-landing into the job.

Palace were 11th in the table when United faced them, Norwich 20th, Newcastle 19th, Burnley 18th and Wolves 8th. The two postponed games were against 10th placed Brentford and 13th place Brighton. There was also a dead rubber Champions League game against Young Boys.

While it's true Villa have slumped from their initial Steven Gerrard bounce, they still represent a tougher proposition than most of Rangnick's opponents to date. A league fixture against them follows hot on the heels of the Cup tie.

Games with Man City, Tottenham,, Liverpool and Leicester loom on the horizon in March and April, while there's the small matter of a Champions League last-16 meeting with Atletico Madrid.

If United are being dominated at home by Wolves to the extend their visitors had 19 shots to United's nine and eight corners to three, it really doesn't bode well for when Rangnick's team encounter someone truly decent.

Code:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-10378665/Man-United-boss-Ralf-Rangnicks-long-list-problems-Old-Trafford.html

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 6
Andi Istiabudi, h-ANG, rio vander vidic, tumpal_oneunited, Van_Munandar, zudomiriku