United Indonesia - Manchester United Indonesia Supporters Club
Register
Go Back   United Indonesia - Manchester United Indonesia Supporters Club > INSIDE MANCHESTER UNITED > United Crew > Ex United

Old 09-10-2015, 02:26 PM   #21
Andi Istiabudi
manager
Youtube: Andi Istiabudi

Thanked 2,334 Times in 1,748 Posts
Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Andi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to behold

Default Re: [Legend] Duncan Edwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by tumpal_oneunited View Post
Iya Om Andi.
Dan bisa duduk barengan nonton United main di OT.
Ya, sejarah memang berkata lain.
Tragis memang tragedi Munich untuk tim sebesar Manchester United...
Andi Istiabudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 09:33 PM   #22
Andi Istiabudi
manager

Andi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to behold

DUNCAN EDWARDS REMEMBERED

Manchester United's history is built in part on the brilliance of legendary individuals. Few harbour reverence as powerful as Duncan Edwards, born on this day - 1 October - in 1936...

What makes him special? The name and reputation of Duncan Edwards is still revered 57 years after the travesty of his death, aged just 21, in the Munich air disaster of 1958. Why? The impact he had, in terms of his achievements and the way he played the game, had already served notice that United possessed a world-class talent in the imposing figure of the Dudley-born half-back, who had signed for the club despite the close attentions of several rivals from the Midlands. Edwards could play effectively almost anywhere but excelled as a half-back or wing-half (a modern equivalent would probably be an all-action defensive midfielder). Duncan's physique meant he excelled at a very young age; he made his Reds debut aged 16 years and 185 days and was the youngest player capped by England at 18 years and 183 days, a record that stood for 43 years until Michael Owen's debut in 1998.

Crowning glory The Reds had reached the semi-finals of the European Cup when tragedy struck in Munich and, while Edwards never had the chance to add to his haul of 18 England caps, nor take his place in the 1958 World Cup squad, it was the potential for further success with United that led to feelings of what might have been because Edwards had proven to be an integral part of the Reds' consecutive league titles in 1956 and 1957.

He said "I thought to myself, 'I'll show him something. He will never have seen the likes of this.' So I went out and played probably the best game I have ever played in my life. After that I was content." – Duncan's response to press criticism after a 4-2 league defeat to Wolves was of quiet and inevitable determination.

We say "He was Roy Keane and Bryan Robson combined, but in a bigger body. He could play as an attacker, creator or defender and be the best player on the pitch. He was world-class when United had the ball, and when the opposition had it he was our best defender."

They say "The Busby Babes were a team, but few would argue Duncan Edwards was the greatest." - David Meek, writing in Legends of United – The Heroes of the Busby Era

Hit me with the facts
Edwards' tally of 177 United appearances and 21 goals does not tell the full story. He made his debut against Cardiff on 4 April 1953, aged 16 years and 185 days, but by the time of his 21st birthday he already had two league winners' medals, as well as establishing himself as an England international.

Tell me something I might not know Edwards was called up for National Service in June 1955 but was released from the Royal Army Ordnance Corps in Nessicliffe, Shropshire (billeted with team-mate and friend Bobby Charlton), to help United to two consecutive titles.

In a word Unique.

http://www.manutd.com/
Old 02-10-2016, 11:17 PM   #23
Andi Istiabudi
manager

SIR BOBBY UNVEILS EDWARDS PLAQUE IN DUDLEY

Sir Bobby Charlton has unveiled a blue plaque dedicated to his former Manchester United team-mate Duncan Edwards in Dudley, the West Midlands town where his friend and fellow Reds legend was born and raised.

The Busby Babe was honoured on Saturday, which would have been his 80th birthday, as Sir Bobby unveiled the plaque in the pavilion at Priory Park, close to Edwards’s childhood home and where he played football as a boy.

The tribute features the words ‘Duncan Edwards – Footballer of genius’ and the famous quote from Edwards’ primary schoolmaster in Dudley, Geoff Groves: “I have just seen a boy of eleven who will play for England one day.” Click the image above to see a close-up of the plaque.

One of the greatest players in United’s history, Edwards made his debut for the club aged 16. The half-back had already racked up 177 appearances for the Reds and won two league titles when he died from injuries sustained in the Munich air crash in February 1958, aged just 21.

Sir Bobby has said that Edwards was “the best footballer I have ever seen and the best I’ve ever played with – he could do anything”.

http://www.manutd.com/
Old 31-12-2016, 12:20 PM   #24
Andi Istiabudi
manager

Pemain yang oleh sebagian orang dianggap sebagai Busby Babes terbaik..

Red dahlia tribute to tragic Busby Babe Duncan Edwards

A HORTICULTURIST has been praised by Sir Alex Ferguson for devoting 50 years to breeding the perfect red dahlia in honour of lost Busby Babe Duncan Edwards.

Les Jackson was praised by Sir Alex Ferguson for naming his flowers after Duncan Edwards

Les Jackson, 74, was just a teenager when an icy Munich runway in February 1958 claimed the lives of eight of Sir Matt Busby’s talented young Manchester United stars.

The loss of England wing-half Edwards, 21, particularly haunted Mr Jackson – with Sir Bobby Charlton later describing him as “the only player that made me feel inferior”.

But now after half a century of hard work the flower breeder has created the perfect United red dahlia in his honour, and named it The Hillcrest Duncan Edwards.

And news of his success in Carlisle, Cumbria, has reached the ears of delighted ex-United manager Sir Alex Ferguson.

Sir Alex, 74, wrote: “Naming the plant after Duncan Edwards is a lovely gesture, and the colour of the plant is perfect too. Well done Les.

“You have worked very hard and I wish you all the very best for the future.”

Mr Jackson has become a UK expert at breeding dahlias, with all his flowers having the word Hillcrest as a prefix after his own home.

The perfect red flower was named The Hillcrest Duncan Edward by Mr Jackson

But it took him half a century perfecting the Duncan Edwards as he decided it needed needed certain rare qualities – a football-sized bloom, perfect symmetry, and the right rich red colour, not prone to fading.

He added: “I wanted to create a dahlia that was worthy of being called Duncan Edwards.”

Now he has finally achieved success with his flower recently winning several prizes at the Harrogate Great Autumn Show.

And news somehow reached the ears of retired Old Trafford manager Sir Alex Ferguson.

Mr Jackson remarked: “Somehow – I don’t know how – Sir Alex Ferguson got to know about it.

“He wrote me a letter, saying I’d done a good job that he was grateful for what I had done.”

Recalling the moment half a century ago when he first heard the shocking news of the terrible sporting disaster, Mr Jackson explained: “I was working on a building site when they sent me for a newspaper.

“When I saw the headline, I could hardly believe my eyes. It was a big shock.

“He was the most influential player in that team.

“He had everything required to make a top-class player and he brought out the best in those around him.

“My mother had grown dahlias and as I got older my interest in them became a little more serious and I decided I’d breed a new variety as a tribute to Duncan Edwards.”

Born in Dudley, Worcs, Edwards signed for United as a teenager and became the youngest player to play for England since the Second World War.
Returning home from a European Cup tie against Red Star Belgrade on February 6, 1958, the United aeroplane crashed on takeoff after refuelling in Munich.

Seven players and 14 other passengers died at the scene, and Edwards was taken to hospital with multiple leg fractures, fractured ribs and severely damaged kidneys.

It is claimed he asked assistant manager Jimmy Murphy “What time is the kick off against Wolves, Jimmy? I mustn’t miss that match”.

The horticulturist devoted 50 years of his life to breed the perfect flower

But Edwards – regarded by many as the greatest player that ever lived – died at 2:15 am on 21 February 21, 1958.

Other Busby Babes lost in the disaster were Geoff Bent, Roger Byrne, Eddie Colman, Mark Jones, David Pegg, Tommy Taylor and Liam “Billy” Whelan.

Sir Matt Busby, Sir Bobby Charlton and 18 others survived.

http://www.express.co.uk/
Old 22-02-2018, 01:25 AM   #25
Riskur
Divisi IT
rizkikurnwn

Thanked 1,007 Times in 435 Posts
Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Riskur has a reputation beyond reputeRiskur has a reputation beyond reputeRiskur has a reputation beyond reputeRiskur has a reputation beyond reputeRiskur has a reputation beyond reputeRiskur has a reputation beyond reputeRiskur has a reputation beyond reputeRiskur has a reputation beyond reputeRiskur has a reputation beyond reputeRiskur has a reputation beyond reputeRiskur has a reputation beyond repute
Visit Riskur's Facebook Visit Riskur's Twitter

THE DUNCAN EDWARDS TRIBUTE

Manchester United great Duncan Edwards lost his fight for life on this day 60 years ago, following the Munich Air Disaster.

The England international was only 21 when he died but is still remembered as one of the finest players in the club's illustrious history. It was so tragic that his virtually limitless potential went unfulfilled.

MUTV paid a visit to The Duncan Edwards Tribute in Dudley, his West Midlands birthplace, to catch up with Jim Cadman, who explained: "We decided to tell the story of his life rather than his passing." The exhibition runs until 30 March 2018 and is a must-see for United fans.

Keith Edwards, cousin of Duncan, said: "He would have been the greatest player that ever lived."

Another of Duncan's cousins, Laurence Brownhill, added: "Duncan wasn't interested in medals - all he wanted to do was play football."

Last edited by Riskur; 22-02-2018 at 01:28 AM..
Riskur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2022, 01:08 AM   #26
Andi Istiabudi
manager

COMING SOON: A NEW DUNCAN EDWARDS BIOGRAPHY

Duncan Edwards will always be a colossal figure in Manchester United history and, since his tragic passing in 1958, tales of the late great Busby Babe have become legendary.

Dudley’s favourite son was 21 when he passed away as a result of injuries sustained in the Munich Air Disaster, yet his legacy lives on and he is still described by many as the greatest player there ever was.

A new biography written by esteemed United writer Wayne Barton attempts to interpret Duncan’s iconic life and career, and it has been fully authorised by the family of the lost genius.

The book is called 'Eternal' and its cover was officially unveiled last week, causing a huge surge in demand from supporters on social media. It even topped Amazon's ‘New Releases chart based on pre-orders alone.

Here, you can learn more about the upcoming Edwards book from its author, Barton, who has previously written respected biographies on George Best, Eric Cantona and Jimmy Murphy to name just a few...

How did the process start with this book – what made you want to write about Duncan?
“I’d been in contact with the family going back to 2018. After I did the Jimmy Murphy book, I was invited down to St Francis’ [Church, in Dudley]. They were having a memorial service down there for Duncan and the other Babes. That’s how I connected with some of them – Keith [Edwards, first cousin], Lawrence [Brownhill, second cousin]. There were other family members too, but they are the ones who are most prominent in the media. Over the following years, they’d make it known in conversations that there was a wish in Duncan’s family [to do a book]. There’s obviously been books on him before, and rightly he’s had this legendary, mythical status. But they just wanted some sort of record on him that portrayed him as a normal, every-day lad, and the person they knew. That was how those conversations started. I went down to Dudley a few times and I was talking to different people, and everyone that’s been to Dudley will know the regard that he’s held in. It seems like there’s something about him on every street corner. There’s a lot of pride down there. The penny started to drop in terms of how they wanted to portray him in a different way. Yeah, he’s this mythical son and they are so proud of him; they want the local kids to know that it’s aspirational; that a local ordinary lad did this. But once I knew the angle they wanted to go at, and that it was something different to the way that the story has been told before, I was excited. But also a little bit apprehensive, because it’s Duncan!”

There’s a real weight of responsibility given Duncan's reputation, and the love United fans feel for his memory…
“It was terrifying! In the same way as doing the book on George [Best]. I felt so confident at the end of writing that, and I did a book on Jimmy Murphy before. People might disagree, but if you were to name five precious people in United history, Duncan, Jimmy and George are probably in that five. They might even be the top three you’d speak of, in terms of how precious the stories are and how careful you’ve got to be in telling that story. You want to do it because you want to challenge yourself, but also it’s so precious. I thought: I’m going to tell that story by doing it in a contemporaneous way. Yes, I’ll use some interviews from after Duncan passed, but I used a lot of interviews from the time and press reports from at the time. I’ve tried to tell Duncan as he was and try and remove the hyperbole of the post-Munich stuff, so you get an idea of how he actually was. As I was going along, you look at the match reports and you see that there are some teething problems in his game. You can identify them. As you’re telling that story you think: am I actually criticising him here?! But the more I went along I thought: no, actually, this is realistic. Finding the faults and identifying them and talking about them… firstly it humanises him and, secondly, it finds a clearer way to articulating how good he could have been. Once you start addressing how he could improve, you get a clear idea of how he could have improved. After that, I felt on a much more confident footing.”

People who played against him and alongside him say he was already one of the best they’d ever seen, so if he could have improved from that, that elevates him in a way…
“Yes, and you also have the passage of time. He finished third in the Ballon d’Or in the year before he died. Other players that were older than him were getting recognition, but I think because the award had been fairly newly established, they were kind of like the legacy awards! Without being too disrespectful! But Duncan got there on quality. And he was seen as up there. The reports before he died talk about him being one of the best players ever. You can recover the lens of post-Munich with that, because they were speaking about him in current terms. There was one season where he conceded something like four or five penalties for handball. It was because he was present all the time; he was trying to be somewhere and influence the game. Once he’d realised that he didn’t have to win the game on his own all the time, and he could trust his team-mates, you would probably seen his game evolve. Little things like that [came out in the research]. He was one of the best of his time. He was regarded as the best in the game, so to see how he could have improved… it was almost like [George] Best, in that he was competing against himself to be the best, in a way. The sky was his limits. Everything that they said about his reputation at the time was certainly true.”

Does it end with Munich and the aftermath, or have you talked about his legacy and the way he’s been remembered, what the family deal with afterwards? Or is just strictly his life and his career?
“Both those things are in there, but new information has come to light in the 21st century. In doing the research for this book, someone discovered all of his schoolboy playing records, and they passed them to me. Every single county and school game he played, and the positions he played, and the match reports, how well he was doing – all that sort of stuff is in there. I tried to write the book without even referencing Munich; to ignore Munich until it actually happens in the story. Apart from the first two or three pages where I’m introducing the book, there’s nothing about it. I’m not talking about how it enhanced or influenced his legacy. I’m trying to tell the story of his career and his life as faithfully as he can, without the influence of how his life ended. Through working on Jimmy’s book and liaising with a lot of the families, they had a lot of new stories. New stories from the Gregg family about Harry, which they’d kept back, because he was so embarrassed about the reputation he already had as a hero. They didn’t want to share more. But because he’s passed away, they passed some of those stories on to me, and some of them include Duncan, so I was able to include those in the book. There are a couple of news reports from the time as well, that feature things that happened to Duncan in the hospital that aren’t included in the other records. They are scarily emotional. As someone writing something, they literally stop you. You have to stop, have a cry, and go back and read it again. ‘Oh my God, is that really how that happened?’ What I’m trying to say is that the first part of it is his life and career, told through that lens, without trying to mention Munich and reference that. Because obviously we know what is going to happen. I’ve dealt with the disaster in the most careful way I can. Then I’ve dealt with the legacy of what he’s left as a player and the impact that it had on his family afterwards as well. But mostly, I’ve tried to make it a straightforward biography, the same way I did with the George Best book. Everything in George’s life is underpinned by alcoholism [in the popular perception], so I tried to remove that from the story. I’ve tried to remove Munich in the same way with Duncan, and then hopefully it will connect with people. When I read it back on the first edit, Munich hits like a freight train because it hits everything. It’s kind of scary, because I haven’t drip-fed it in. I think that really hits home the finality of it, do you know? Because that’s the way it happened.”

How were the family to deal with?
“The two prominent people that are most often in the press since Sarah [Duncan’s mother] died were Keith Edwards and Lawrence Brownhill. The idea of him is that he was 7ft 6in or something! But he wasn’t. He was 5ft 11! They wanted to bring him down to earth; they wanted to have it in more prominent literature to say that he was proud of where he came from and that they were proud of him and that he was just a normal lad. That’s the drum that they’ve been beating since Sarah died, and I know that that was part of what Sarah wanted. She was always saying you’ve got to keep Duncan’s legacy alive. Sadly, Keith passed away the week before I was going to interview him. But I’ve had to make sure they’re okay with the book. I wanted it to be authorised. Lawrence was dead excited about the book and the cover. He feels it’s a really good representation of Duncan. The idea of having something out there that tells the story of Duncan how it was. To a lot a people, it might be sacrilege… that you’re scratching away the myth and the legend, but I feel it’s important to do that for some of these people. In analysing his game and what it actually was, you get a fairer picture and it really enhances his legacy. It normalises him. Don’t get me wrong, he was like a comic-book hero at times. That stuff is in there. All the stories – like the one Wilf McGuinness tells about Jimmy saying ‘Just give the ball to Duncan’ – they are true. They are not embellished. The super-human element to it still exists, but you’re putting it the frame of a normal man. That’s what I hope comes across.”

www.manutd.com

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 14
Andi Istiabudi, andy kurniawan, bombom, dancoloveunited, iamsetia, irfi_1, penk22_, Prianto United, rio vander vidic, Riskur, SR 7, Subagio U. Arra, tumpal_oneunited, zudomiriku