United Indonesia - Manchester United Indonesia Supporters Club
Register
Go Back   United Indonesia - Manchester United Indonesia Supporters Club > INSIDE MANCHESTER UNITED > United Crew > Ex United

Old 02-10-2009, 09:33 PM   #1
rondwisan
udah sebelas yaa :)

Thanked 4,736 Times in 2,701 Posts
Mentioned: 567 Post(s)
rondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond repute
Visit rondwisan's Facebook Visit rondwisan's Twitter
Default [Legend] Steve Bruce

[Legend] STEVE BRUCE
ManUtd.com

Pound for pound, the £825,000 Alex Ferguson paid Norwich City for this craggy, uncompromising centre-half two weeks short of his 27th birthday in December 1987, was one of the best deals Manchester United have ever done.

Bruce’s central defensive partnership with Gary Pallister – the pair were affectionately dubbed ‘Dolly and Daisy’ – was the bedrock on which three Championship-winning sides were built (1993, 1994 and 1996), as well as successes in the European Cup Winner’s Cup (1991), FA Cup (1994, 1996) and the League Cup (1992). It was arguably Bruce’s two critical late, late goals – a pair of towering headers – against

Sheffield Wednesday that tipped the 1992/93 Premiership title race in United’s favour and really got the ball rolling for United’s dominance of the modern game.

Bruce’s was a steady climb to the football summit. A product of the famous Wallsend Boys Club that gave the game talents like Alan Shearer, Peter Beardsley and more recently United transfer target Michael Carrick, he represented Newcastle schoolboys, but was rejected at 16 by his boyhood idols, as well as Sunderland, Bolton Wanderers, Sheffield Wednesday and Southport ¬because he was perceived to be too small. He subsequently got a job at the Swan Hunter shipyard as a trainee plumber but a week before he was due to start was offered an apprenticeship with Gillingham.

After making his league debut for the Gills at the start of the 1979-80 season while still just 17, he went on to make more than 200 league appearances for the Kent club before Norwich paid £135,000 for his services in August 1984. At Carrow Road, Bruce won a League Cup winner’s medal in 1985 and the Second Division Championship medal the following year. Remarkably, for all his subsequent honours at Old Trafford, Bruce was never selected for a full England cap, though he did lead the side at B level.

He finally left the Reds on a free transfer for Birmingham City in the 1996 close season after nine years, 414 appearances and a prolific 51 goals. Assisted by his accuracy from the penalty spot he had remarkably finished as the club’s joint top scorer in 1990/91 with 19 goals in all competitions.

In 1998 he started out on the management trail with Sheffield United as player-manager, and has also been in charge at Huddersfield Town, Wigan Athletic and Crystal Palace. He is currently boss at Birmingham City, mounting a bid for a swift Premiership return in 2006/07 after taking the Blues up and spending four seasons in the top flight. Don’t bet against it.
rondwisan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rondwisan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2009, 09:34 PM   #2
rondwisan

rondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: [Legend] Steve Bruce

02/10/2009 12:40 - ManUtd.com, Ben Hibbs
Bruce can manage a top club

Steve Bruce has all the qualities to manage one of Engand's top clubs – but Sir Alex Ferguson believes he can achieve that feat at the Stadium of Light.

With money to spend and a wealth of experience behind him, Bruce is already at a big club, according to Sir Alex. Asked on Friday if he thought Bruce would end up at one of England’s big clubs, the United boss retorted: “I don’t think Sunderland’s fans would be too pleased to hear that. They could be a massive club, you know. They already are in terms of history, stadium, training ground, and their fan base. It wouldn’t be doing them justice to say otherwise.”

Bruce has enjoyed or endured varied experiences at six different clubs in his managerial career, all of which should stand him in good stead. “If you go back through Bruce’s career, his experience of the other side of football is very useful.

“From being down there scrapping with Crystal Palace or Sheffield United, he recently almost took Wigan into a UEFA place. He’s learned a lot as he’s gone along. Birmingham didn’t have much money to deal with. They never had a big budget to buy players. That’s not easy in the Premier League. Now he has the chance to spend some money at Sunderland and it looks as if they could be good.”

Bruce has made some promising signings, notably with the capture of Darren Bent in attack, who Sir Alex pinpoints as the spearhead of an impressive front line that can also include Kenwyne Jones and former United youngster Fraizer Campbell. “The addition of Darren Bent now, who’s scored seven goals now, is a good one. He’s given a good return already. Steve has galvanised the club really well, and you can see something happening there... just hopefully not on Saturday!”

Sir Alex certainly won’t be taking Sunderland lightly after they have notched four wins in seven games this term. “Everyone’s a threat if you don’t approach games the right way. We have to approach the game in the right way all the time. That’s what happens here. We have to make sure the attitude and the character of the team is always there. It will be. We have no problems there. The team is playing well and hopefully we get the result we want.”

It’s no surprise that, after Bruce’s loyalty and commitment to the United cause in the early years of Sir Alex’s Old Trafford reign, the Reds boss still has a fondness for his now opposite number. “He was a great player for us,” reminisced the boss. “The fantastic thing about Brucey was that he had this great ability to play on with injuries. He was always hobbling about the training ground, with knocks or hamstring strains. He’d just rub it better and play. It was unbelievable.

“I remember when we were going to play Liverpool at Anfield at the weekend and he’d picked up a hamstring injury on the Saturday before. He was on the treatment table all week. Then on the Friday I was doing some team shaping and the set pieces. He came running down the hill at The Cliff and said, ‘don’t pick your team just now, I think I’m OK’. I said, ‘You’re joking, it’s a hamstring pull’. Brucey came back, ‘Yeah, it’s all right, I’ve had them before’. He played the full game.

“Looking at his partnership with Gary Pallister – it went on uninterrupted for years. They hardly missed a game. It was a phenomenal partnership, and the right combination; they had the qualities you need. They were great characters too. You can laugh just thinking about them!”

That fondness will be put on hold on Saturday, however, as United seek to extend the league lead with Chelsea and Liverpool meeting on Sunday.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rondwisan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2009, 01:25 AM   #3
rondwisan

United legend lifts the lid on first few days at Old Trafford
sport.co.uk, Ben Moss - 02 October 2009 - 16:04

Manchester United legend Steve Bruce admits he was scared when he first entered the Old Trafford dressing room as a player in 1987. The stalwart had been signed by Sir Alex Ferguson from Norwich for £800,000, and even though he jokes he was probably the manager’s fifth choice target, the ex-Crystal Palace, Birmingham City and Wigan boss would later become one of the cornerstones to United’s first Premier League title in 1993. Bruce takes his Sunderland side to United tomorrow, and he still retains fond memories of his playing career at the Theatre of Dreams.

Bruce told the Manchester Evening News: “I was frightened.”

“I walked into the dressing room and thought, 'Oh my God, I have seen all these players on the telly'.

“I didn't go there until I was 27, and I had only played two years in the top flight, so it was a bit of a gamble.

“To be fair, I think Fergie had missed out on about five or six centre-halves and I was seventh on the list, but you would have to ask him that!

“We struggled to begin with, we struggled in the early years and when we look back now and think they have won the Premier League 10 times since 1993 it's quite staggering because it took something like 26 years to win.”
Old 10-08-2010, 05:00 PM   #4
Andi Istiabudi
manager
Youtube: Andi Istiabudi

Thanked 2,334 Times in 1,748 Posts
Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Andi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to behold

Bruce Kecewa Berat Darren Bent Cedera
Fitra Iskandar - Okezone

SUNDERLAND - Pelatih Sunderland Steve Bruce kecewa berat melihat cedera yang dialami Darren Bent saat latihan bersama timnas Inggris.

Akibat cedera punggung saat latihan menjelang laga persahabatan kontra Hungaria di Wembley Rabu besok, Bent hampir dipastikan absen saat Sunderland mengawali musim melawan Birmingham City.

Bruce memang layak kecewa kehilangan Bent, striker yang diabaikan Capello pada Piala Dunia lalu itu adalah pemain termahal Black Cats yang dikontrak 10 juta poundsterling tahun lalu, dan sangat penting bagi tim.

“Striker hebat membuat tim tampil bagus, dan kami memiliki satu yang sangat berharga buat kami,” kata Bruce kepada Daily Star.

“Darren mendapatkan sesuatu yang tidak berarti di pramusim.Saya berharap pasukan saya kembali fit dan sehat,” katanya.

Bent sempat mengundang sorotan publik karena performa yang gemilang sejak tiba di Sunderland dari Tottenham Hotspur. Bersama Black Cats striker 26 tahun ini menjadi pencetak gol terbanyak ketiga di Premier League pada musim lalu dengan torehan 24 gol.

Fabio Capello sempat memasukannya ke dalam skuad sementara namun saat penetapan skuad final, Capello melemparnya dan lebih memilih Emile Heskey, Jermain Defoe dan Peter Crouch untuk mendampingi Rooney. (fit)

Source : http://bola.okezone.com
Andi Istiabudi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Andi Istiabudi For This Useful Post:
Old 19-12-2010, 06:23 AM   #5
hendiplast
captain
ONE OK ROCK - The Beginning

Thanked 1,534 Times in 978 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
hendiplast is a splendid one to beholdhendiplast is a splendid one to beholdhendiplast is a splendid one to beholdhendiplast is a splendid one to beholdhendiplast is a splendid one to beholdhendiplast is a splendid one to beholdhendiplast is a splendid one to beholdhendiplast is a splendid one to beholdhendiplast is a splendid one to behold

Steve Bruce: This is the best team Sunderland have ever had, but I'd like to manage England one day

Steve Bruce has never sent an email but if he did break down this interview into a series of short, sharp messages, they might read something like this.

Email to the Football Association: 'I'd like the England job at some point, possibly even after Fabio Capello's gone, but it's probably best I tell you this first. That bit about me being the best defender never to have played for England. Well, I was asked to play for England once but I knocked them back.'

Email to Sunderland: 'I'd only consider the England job if you were happy for the FA to talk to me. I actually love it here so much I'd like to extend my contract.'

Email to Simon Jordan: 'I know I've touched on this before but when I left Crystal Palace all those years ago I really did let you down. No, really, I did.'

And a group email to his players: 'With wealth comes responsibility, lads. The game is in danger of losing touch with the fans.'

But Bruce doesn't do emails and he doesn't really do text messages, iPhones or computers either.

'I just keep a diary,' he says. 'And if I want to communicate with someone I pick up the phone. My old Nokia usually. And I really have never sent an email. You might think I'm old school and I accept that I am, but I prefer to talk to people.'

He will be 50 at the end of this month and it is an older, wiser Bruce who shares his thoughts and his philosophies as well as the reason why the job he has now gives him more pleasure, even, than captaining Manchester United.

'I tell my players they have the best job in the world,' he says. 'But I get more satisfaction from preparing a team that then wins on a Saturday than I ever did from the success I enjoyed as a player.

'If I was coming to the end of my playing career now, I'm not sure I'd go into management. With all the coaching badges and everything, it can take five or six years to learn your trade. And I think the average survival time in the lower leagues is about 15 months. You'd have to ask yourself if it's worth it.

'But I'm here because I love the game. Because I wanted to stay involved. I probably could have retired after I finished playing but I'm someone who likes to go to work every day. Likes to get up and do something.

And this is great. Winning a cup final as a player is fantastic but, for me, the highs are better now. Just seeing my team win.'

After 12 years in management, he has developed something of a routine that enables him to enjoy it and cope with the stresses of the Barclays Premier League. A routine that involves two dogs, a working man's club in Wallsend and a pint on a Sunday. Like he says, he's old school. A man of simple tastes.

With echoes of Brian Clough, he likes his two boxer dogs to accompany him to work.

'I've had a kennel built for them here,' he says. 'They're struggling a bit at the moment because they have both done their cruciates. One was chasing a ball and one was chasing a pigeon. But walking them is my way of switching off. I take them along the coast or the big wildlife reserve over the back here. I can just disappear for a while.'

Now he's back in his native North East he can disappear for a drink with his dad, Joe, too.

'I've seen more of my mum and dad and my family in the last 18 months than I had in the 30 years prior to that,' he says.

'And I try to go and have a pint with my dad in the working man's club in Wallsend.

'My dad was a fitter and he's been drinking there all his life. I would go there when I was a kid. It's proper Newcastle country but most fair-minded people accept I'm the manager of Sunderland.

'The first question I asked the people at this club was whether they had a problem with where I was born. Where I grew up as a kid. But I don't get any problems where my dad drinks because, at the end of the day, people round here like to see their own doing well. That said, I haven't been in since the derby.'

He regards that game at Newcastle at the end of October, when his team were hammered 5-1, as the nadir of his managerial career.

'Aye, the worst result of my life,' he says.

But it is how he and his young side have responded that is so impressive. First came a win against Stoke, then a draw at Tottenham and the win, two weeks after the nightmare of St James', he now considers the finest of his managerial career. A 3-0 success at Chelsea that has helped Sunderland climb to seventh in the table.

'We've only lost one of the seven we've played since,' he says.

Bruce says that when it came to dealing with the defeat at Newcastle, he remained calm with his players.

'I might have been shouting and screaming 10 years ago,' he says. 'But I had a meeting with the players and I simply reminded them that we had let everyone down. I didn't need to say anything else.

'I made a conscious effort to build a young squad here. At Fulham last week I think we had the youngest team in the league, with an average age of about 23. But when you have a team like that you can get those kind of results. At Newcastle we just didn't handle the occasion. The players got caught up in it.

'I remember playing in my first semi-final, against Oldham. I was 30 but the emotion of the thing got the better of me. It was boiling hot, we played poorly and got our backsides kicked.'

In the most recent derby week he did not just lose a football match. He lost two of his dearest friends. John Benson was the guy who persuaded him to return to football after his dismissal at Huddersfield, while Bill 'Buster' Collins was perhaps his greatest influence.

Bruce has to pause for a second. 'They died within days of each other,' he says.

'Benno the day before the derby and Buster a couple of days after.

'I had a rough start in management. Six chief executives at Sheffield United and then the sacking at Huddersfield. After that I became a bit of a recluse. I was doing up my house, working as a labourer for the builders. I wouldn't go to games because I was worried managers would think I was after their job. At one stage I agreed to take the Tranmere job but then the wife reminded me that, in Liverpool, I never would have been I never would have been accepted.

'Then Benno called me. He was the general manager at Wigan and Bruce Rioch had left. They had eight games left that season and told me to come and have a crack.

'It was great and during that time John gave the best advice I've ever had. I used to think I had to be responsible for everything. If the food in the canteen was OK. If the tables were clean. John told me to put all my energy into winning on a Saturday.

'He'd been working with us here for a month when we lost him. Cruel. And then Buster died. He was 90 but he worked for Gillingham for what must have been 50 years. He was youth team coach when I went there as a kid and he brought me up really. He taught me values. Right and wrong. I did find management hard to start with.

'After Wigan I worked with Simon Jordan at Crystal Palace. We're good friends now but 10 years ago he was volatile and so was I. I would spit my dummy out. I remember us arguing over Steve Vickers. And rather than sitting down responsibly and discussing it, we had a blazing row.

'I wanted to sign him and I eventually did - at Birmingham. He was key to us getting promoted. But I wish I handled it differently with Simon. I walked out and went to Birmingham and that wasn't right.

'I let him down. We were flying. Top of the league. But we were fighting like cat and dog and suddenly it was all over.'

Bruce often struggles to apply logic to the things he sees in football. Like the fact that the Newcastle manager who beat him 5-1 has since been sacked.

'I can't get my head round that,' he says.

'And it's the same with Sam (Allardyce) this week. Blackburn were bottom of the league when he took over. He kept them up, has got something like £40million in and last season they were 10th.

'Managers are falling victim to the people who buy our clubs. These people need to realise these clubs have been around for more than a hundred years. It's not a toy.

'It's also why I worry that, if we're not careful, we are going to alienate ourselves from those people. This is still a working class game and all the wealth, this pop star ethos, just ain't right. I do my best to make sure my players have some manners and treat people the right way. The way they expect to be treated. We have to clean up the image of footballers.'

His message is one that would sit well with an England manager, a role he would one day like to occupy.

'If England came knocking and Sunderland were OK with it, of course you'd have to think about having a crack at it,' he says.

'Even to be linked with it is something I wouldn't have dreamed of in the past. And if it's going to be an Englishman there aren't many of us. Only five in the Premier League with Sam gone. If, in 18 months, it's up for grabs and I'm still doing well here it's got to be the pinnacle. To be the manager of your country, even though you know what it entails, would be amazing. How could anyone turn it down? The biggest single disappointment for me was not playing for England.

'At United, when it was international week, I'd be the only one left. Everyone else would be away and I never really came to terms with why.'

But then he admits something. 'The closest I got was when Terry Venables rang me,' he says. ' It was 1994 and there was a Mickey Mouse friendly against Nigeria and I politely said: "Terry, thanks but no thanks". I think he was just going to give me a cap. A recognition of what I'd done.

'I knocked it back, aye. I didn't want to just have one cap that was given to me out of sympathy. I was still United captain but I'd been United captain for years and never even got in the squad.

'I was nearly 34 and the game was at Wembley. If it had been a qualifier, of course I would have played. If the country had actually needed me. But it wasn't.'

He considers himself unfortunate that his best years coincided with Graham Taylor's tenure as England manager.

'When Graham got the job I knew I was going to struggle,' he says.

'He took the England B team one time in Malta (1987) and we won 3-0. But reading out the team he said "Bruce - and by the way you're captain. I have to say that's not my decision. I don't think you're captain material. It was Bobby's decision". Some team talk!

But he clearly didn't fancy me as a player. But because I missed out as a player I'd fancy the manager's job. As an Englishman, nothing would make me prouder.'

Not that Bruce is making any such plans. He just wants to focus on a Sunderland team that is producing England players.

'I think this is the best squad Sunderland's ever had,' he says.

'We've got England players, international players. People who've played at World Cups.

'I want us to become another Everton or an Aston Villa; enjoy big European nights at the Stadium of Light. That has to be the dream for us here. Can you imagine it?

'I signed a three-year contract when I came here and if they see fit and want to extend it, I would sit down and willingly discuss that with them. From top to bottom, this is a great club.'

With a wise old head at the helm.

Dailymail
hendiplast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hendiplast For This Useful Post:
Old 24-02-2011, 06:38 PM   #6
Andi Istiabudi
manager

Andi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to behold

A weigh the lad: Steve Bruce packs the midfield

NORTH East footie fans don't need to ask who ate all the pies, judging by this snap of Steve Bruce.

The Sunderland boss, 50, let it all hang out on holiday in Barbados.

Cup
It's a far cry from his playing days in 1992 with Manchester United, when he won the League Cup with Ryan Giggs.

Evergreen Giggsy, now 37, is still getting down the left wing at Old Trafford. Former defender Bruce, meanwhile, looks more interested in getting down the chicken wings.

Figure it out ... Bruce lifted the League Cup with Ryan Giggs, who is still playing.

Source : http://www.thesun.co.uk
Old 28-02-2011, 05:52 PM   #7
Andi Istiabudi
manager

Everton give Steve Bruce a lesson in Premier League stability

In the years when Sir Bobby Robson briefly looked as if he might establish Newcastle United among the aristocracy of the Champions League, the Toon Army had a song. It was called "Have you ever seen a Mackem in Milan?"

Sunderland have been to Budapest and Lisbon but that was in 1973, a reward for perhaps the most improbable FA Cup victory of modern times, and they have not needed their passports since. The Europa League might not take them to Milan but they would not mind a few stopovers in Prague or Portugal.

At the turn of the year Sunderland seemed the likeliest candidate for the sixth-placed finish that should ensure European football, but this was their fourth successive defeat and they have Arsenal, Manchester City and Liverpool still to play. Six of their final seven fixtures are against teams in the bottom half of the table, however, but by then it might be too late.

The thoughts of Steve Bruce, who has just signed a contract that, if fulfilled, would see him managing Sunderland in 2014, did not extend to airport runways and Europa League press conferences, but to the grittier task of maintaining Sunderland as a regular member of the Premier League, something they have never quite been. When they first arrived, in 1996 (the year they last won at Goodison), English football's swell party was four years in and they have been relegated three times since.

"My brief was to make us an established Premier League club rather than the one that has been a yo-yo over the last few years," he said. "Everton, for instance, are one of those clubs we aspire to be. They have been in the Premier League since the year dot and I respect the manager and his team. They will finish in the top 10 again – there's no question of that.

"I don't think Sunderland can ever say we are an established Premier League club, not with our history. We are only three years in and, if you look at our history, that is not great."

History is a word at the centre of Everton's perception of themselves. All around Goodison there are photographs marking the club's significant moments. The only image worth preserving from this campaign, however, would be that of Phil Neville, shirt off, celebrating his penalty that overcame Chelsea in the FA Cup fourth-round replay and kept the season alive.

At least David Moyes, who a fortnight ago at Bolton had appeared cloaked by terminal despair after a performance as supine as anything Sunderland produced here, could persuade himself that Mikel Arteta is finally showing some form. Nothing at Everton appears to have functioned very smoothly for very long, especially their Basque playmaker.

"He has been a worry," said the Everton manager after seeing the Basque set up the second of Jermaine Beckford's goals. "We swam the Channel to keep Mikel because he is an integral part of this team. But his form has not been as good as it should be. We have seen glimmers and signs in the last few weeks.

"Maybe he felt he is the one who had to make us play – to take the ball from everywhere and make us pass. In time his form is coming back. People think he has played safe, but I don't. You talk about [Barcelona's] Andrés Iniesta – he made 98 passes against Arsenal and 94 were accurate.

"You have to keep the ball in midfield and Mikel can do that, and because we do not have that craft, we look to him to make the key passes. Here he looked much more like his old self."

Source : http://www.guardian.co.uk
Old 07-03-2011, 11:34 AM   #8
Andi Istiabudi
manager

Bruce sees a silver lining
By ROB BEASLEY

STEVE BRUCE is in no doubt Arsene Wenger is still the right man to lead Arsenal to glory.

The Sunderland boss says the Frenchman just needs to win one piece of silverware and then others will flood in to the Emirates.

Bruce said: "The fella's a genius.

"He's built a fantastic team and, for me, it's only a matter of time.

"Whether it's this year, your guess is as good as mine.

"But once they win the first one, they'll be fine.

"It seems unbelievable now but when I first went to Man United we were chasing the first title in 25, 26 years.

"It's the same for this young Arsenal team. I've seen them beat Barcelona and they're an average of 23 years old.

"So they're a fantastic team but they need to win a title or a cup competition - and they're close.

"They had a cup final last week, they're in the quarter-final of another competition, they're just behind Man United in the Premier League and they have a huge game against Barcelona.

"It's a fantastic position to be in."

The Black Cats boss was pleased with Danny Welbeck's performance - and admits he would like to sign the on-loan United striker permanently.

He added: "It is a double-edged sword because the better he does, the further away he gets for us.

"Before he got injured he was the best striker we had at that time."

Bruce was also delighted his side managed to cope with the club's injury crisis.

He said: "We have been without six or seven big players for the past few months. All those players have to come back into the team and they will make a big difference."

Source : http://www.thesun.co.uk
Old 01-04-2011, 09:18 AM   #9
rondwisan

Bruce: I am no racist
Soccernet - March 31, 2011

Sunderland manager Steve Bruce has angrily denied claims that he is a racist after defender Marcos Angeleri accused him of overlooking him because he is not English.

Angeleri, 27, was due back on Wearside on Wednesday on his return from international duty, during which he made his comments.

The Argentinian told ESPN Radio: "The boss doesn't talk to me, he doesn't even say hello to me when he sees me. I think he doesn't like me because I'm not English."

The same quotes were used in a report which recalled Aston Villa's French boss Gerard Houllier's remarks about Bruce's attitude towards him in the wake of Darren Bent's controversial £24 million move to the midlands in January.

However, the former Manchester United captain has hit back and pointed to the fact that he has 11 overseas players from nine different countries among his first-team squad of 25 as evidence to refute the charge.

Bruce, who said he is considering legal action, told the Sunderland Echo: "I'm deeply upset. In today's world, there is nothing more damaging than someone suggesting you are a racist.

"Of all things that have been thrown at me over the years, that is the charge that hurts the most. I have got no problem with criticism - I learned a long, long time ago that it's part and parcel of the job, and I never take it personally.

"I have always tried to look further afield for players, more so than the vast majority of managers - at Wigan I brought in a lot of South Americans; here I have brought in South Americans and Africans. It's ridiculous to accuse me of being racist.''

Bruce admitted he could even understand why Angeleri, who arrived at the Stadium of Light in a £2 million switch from Estudiantes in July last year, is so upset.

"I have left out a player who I paid a lot of money for and he has had his say," Bruce said. "I'm not too upset if a player has a pop because he's not getting in the team because if I was in that position, I would feel the same way.

"I try to treat him with respect, but I'm not picking him, so of course I can understand his frustration. There is a line you should not cross, though. I will deal with Marcos when he returns, and it will be kept in-house.''
“Let’s not underestimate the other teams. They are very good teams and there are a lot of games to play before the end of the season. We’re in a good position. But that means nothing if you don’t win the next game.” - Dimitar Berbatov
Old 16-04-2011, 11:16 PM   #10
rondwisan

Bruce: I'm the right man for Sunderland
PremierLeague.com

Sunderland manager Steve Bruce is convinced he remains the best man for the job.

The 50-year-old found himself in the firing line last Saturday as a home defeat by West Bromwich Albion extended the Black Cats' winless Barclays Premier League run to eight matches and left them perched precariously just above the developing scrap for top-flight safety.

It was all in stark contrast to the prevailing emotions on Wearside just a few months ago when Sunderland were contesting a top-six spot and dreaming of a first ever qualification for Europe via the league.

Geordie roots

Bruce acknowledges he will never win over some supporters, who struggle to accept his Geordie roots, but with owner Ellis Short and chairman Niall Quinn still firmly in his corner - for the time being, at least - he is confident he will turn things around.

Asked about the flak flying his way, he said: "I knew coming here, that was part of the territory, and that just shows you how quickly it changes.

"Eight games ago, I was the best thing since sliced bread - in some people's eyes - and within eight games, now all of a sudden people want me out.

"I can understand where they are coming from - I can't quite believe it, but there you go. It is what it is, managing in the north-east. But I still don't regret it, I am still confident I am the right person for the job."
“Let’s not underestimate the other teams. They are very good teams and there are a lot of games to play before the end of the season. We’re in a good position. But that means nothing if you don’t win the next game.” - Dimitar Berbatov

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 12
Aba_MaczUnited, Andi Istiabudi, bucay deathbat, fajrinited, h-ANG, rio vander vidic, sepatu_ancur, UNITED1878, Van_Munandar, zudomiriku