United Indonesia - Manchester United Indonesia Supporters Club
Register
Go Back   United Indonesia - Manchester United Indonesia Supporters Club > INSIDE MANCHESTER UNITED > United Crew > Ex United

Old 17-06-2010, 04:49 PM   #1
rondwisan
udah sebelas yaa :)

Thanked 4,736 Times in 2,701 Posts
Mentioned: 567 Post(s)
rondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond repute
Visit rondwisan's Facebook Visit rondwisan's Twitter
Default Gary Bailey

ManUtd.com - 16/06/2010 10:
Q&A: Gary Bailey

Born in Ipswich. Raised in Johannesburg. Made in Manchester. That’s Gary Bailey for you. It’s been 23 years since he last played for United, but Bailey is every bit a Red now as he was when he was a Stretford End hero in the late 1970s and early 1980s. The double FA Cup winner has swapped shot-stopping for the studio as a renowned pundit on South African TV. We caught up with Gary to talk about his time at OT, the United players he thinks will do well in South Africa and why he holds Sir Alex in such high regard…

Gary, you work in South African TV these days. What are you doing during the World Cup?
I’m working for a TV company called SuperSport, which is like Sky TV out here. I’m also a cultural ambassador for the tournament, along with Ronaldo, Alan Shearer, Arsene Wenger and a few others. I’m very lucky and it’s great fun. The country was building up to this for so long so it’s great that it’s finally here!

What makes the South African World Cup special?
It’s in a totally new continent for a start, and nobody has seen anything quite South Africa for a World Cup before. It’s a completely different vibe. It’s not like Europe or America. Three things make it very different: the vuvuzela – the noisy trumpets; the makarapa, which is a colourful, decorated miner’s helmet; and Diski dancing, which is what the fans over here do. Plus it’s a totally different part of the world with nature reserves and so on.

Beyond Wayne Rooney, which United players will make the biggest impression?
Patrice Evra could have a big summer. France have looked like they’re in a bit of disarray, but they’ve got some big players and that could change very easily. They can rally together through adversity. United have done that under Sir Alex in the past, and it would be a mistake to write off France, and Evra – now as captain - could do very well. The English lads could go far. Wayne and Michael Carrick can have brilliant summers. Behind Brazil and Spain, England are my next favourites to win it. I think it’s the right climate, the right coach, the right time. Wayne and the rest could gain immortality.

Do you get back to Manchester much?
Yes, I came back for the Chelsea match and United always look after me so well. I went to the training ground and met Sir Alex, I had a bite to eat with him. The training ground was a bit different from the days of The Cliff, when we had just one pitch that was a mud heap!

You played 375 games for United and won two Cup finals. What are your favourite memories?
It’s tough to pick, but my first few games had a huge impact on me. I was only 20 when I got thrown into the first team. You go from playing in front of a couple of thousand for the reserves, to playing in front of 67,000 at Old Trafford. Suddenly you’re a big name and everyone in the city knows you. It’s unbelievable! My debut against Ipswich was a huge moment. I was way too young, but they needed a keeper, threw me in, and it worked. Then there was a cup final four months later. It was just amazing.

Who were the characters in the team?
Robbo, leading from midfield always. Frank Stapleton up front – the master tactician shielding the ball and setting up shots. Then two wingers in Strachan and Jesper, who on a good day absolutely destroyed teams. Jesper wasn’t suited to a heavy pitch though – and Old Trafford was often heavy. On a hard summer pitch he was magnificent. Our surface was unplayable by October, and for a passing team like United, that didn’t help.

Was it difficult replacing Alex Stepney, United’s most capped keeper?
Alex was 35 and slowing down, so when I came in I think people accepted the fact that Alex’s time was up. So there wasn’t pressure in that respect. But I think what Fergie would have done these days is brought in a more experienced keeper – someone of 27, perhaps, and saved me for a few years. You’d never get a 20-year-old keeper these days.

You were just getting experienced when you got injured…
It was frustrating. At 28, United were doing well, the team was developing, and I was England’s number two behind Peter Shilton. Then I got the injury. I’d worked hard, then I missed out on what could have been really good years.

You missed out on the 1986 World Cup, too...
Yeah, and I was number two, so I could have played. I would have been on the bench. But my knee was shattered - in Mexico I was no more than a bag carrier. It was very frustrating. United had also been top of the league in 1985 by a million miles and blown it. It was very frustrating.

And then you had to give up the game...
There was nothing I could do about it. A year later Turner got injured and Fergie asked me if I could play again. I just didn’t know. I played five games for him and I couldn’t walk the morning after. But Fergie was great. I’ve always loved him. He said he was gutted for me, and he couldn’t do enough to help me out. He said: can we keep you at the club, as a goalkeeping coach? But I wanted to go back to South Africa. He supported me. He was fabulous.
“Let’s not underestimate the other teams. They are very good teams and there are a lot of games to play before the end of the season. We’re in a good position. But that means nothing if you don’t win the next game.” - Dimitar Berbatov
rondwisan is offline   Reply With Quote

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 2
RyanRezha, Trezz Kiko