United Indonesia - Manchester United Indonesia Supporters Club
Register
Go Back   United Indonesia - Manchester United Indonesia Supporters Club > INSIDE MANCHESTER UNITED > United History

Old 25-09-2010, 01:10 PM   #31
sir_otz
first team
Aku adalah Aku

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
sir_otz is just really nicesir_otz is just really nicesir_otz is just really nicesir_otz is just really nicesir_otz is just really nice

Default Re: OT 100 Moments & The Old Trafford Story - Centenary Special Thread

OT 100 #30: The battle of M16

In November 1999, United became England’s first world champions by beating Copa Libertadores winners Palmeiras in Japan. However, the honour could have been snared when the Reds took on Estudiantes in 1968..

"United found themselves facing hustlers; highly intelligent, markedly skilled men who knew every wrinkle in the book, men who could look after themselves in the darkest corners."
- Geoffrey Green, The Times
17 October, 1968

The Background: European Cup winners United took part in a two-legged Intercontinental Cup clash with South American champions Estudiantes. Marcos Conigliaro’s header in Buenos Aires decided a first leg in which United’s bewildered players were pinched, punched and kicked, while head-butt victim Nobby Stiles was sent off for dissent after querying a debatable offside decision.

The Occasion: United's pre-match optimism was rocked when Juan Ramon Veron, future father of Juan Sebastian, headed home after just six minutes and put the Argentines two goals clear. As United toiled manfully against the visitors’ mercilessly brutal approach, bad blood simmered, before eventually spilling over 10 minutes from time. George Best was caught unfairly for the umpteenth time by Jose Medina and landed a right hook on his assailant, who willingly succumbed to gravity and hit the deck. “I decided I’d had enough,” said Best. “I didn’t even wait; I just hit him and walked off. There wasn’t much point in trying to play football, because they wouldn’t let you.” Both players were sent off and the game spiralled to a furious finish. Willie Morgan levelled matters on the night by poking in a Pat Crerand free-kick three minutes from time, before a dramatic final act. Brian Kidd slid home Morgan’s cross to spark scenes of fervent celebration, but referee Constantin Zecevic had blown for full-time seconds earlier.

The Aftermath: United's 1968/69 season ended in widespread disappointment, with a mid-table First Division finish, a European Cup semi-final exit to AC Milan and an FA Cup sixth round defeat to Everton. World rule did beckon, however, as the Reds overcame Palmeiras in 1999, and the feat was matched in December 2008 at the expense of LDU Quito in Japan.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sir_otz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 11:40 AM   #32
sir_otz
first team
Aku adalah Aku

sir_otz is just really nicesir_otz is just really nicesir_otz is just really nicesir_otz is just really nicesir_otz is just really nice

OT 100 #31: Italian injustice

After the glory of Wembley, an inconsistent 1968/69 season meant United's sole hope of snaring silverware lay in defending the European Cup. At the semi-final stage, AC Milan were the Reds' illustrious opponents...

Eyewitness Account

"I've never witnessed anything like the Milan game in my life - it's the nearest I've seen to mass hysteria. I was right in line with the goal-line and the ball went well over the line. I'll never forget that. When it went in, I remember looking at the Stretford End and it was an incredible sight because of the way everybody used to tumble down; it was just a mass of humanity in there, throwing themselves about, and the noise - I was shaking until I went to bed that night. Everybody solidly believed it was a goal."
- Cliff Butler, Club statistician

The Background: Milan strode to a 2-0 first leg win in the San Siro, with United's John Fitzpatrick red-carded and ruled out of the second leg. A crowd of 63,103 made for a deafening din hours before kick-off when the teams reconvened at Old Trafford three weeks later, as the Reds sought desperately to cling onto a trophy that had been so coveted for so long.

The Occasion: With no pressure to attack, Milan were happy to smother United's forward line, with little Giovanni Lodetti the chief destroyer in the centre of midfield. Wave after wave of attack from the white-clad hosts crashed into nothingness on the Italians' defensive rocks, before Bobby Charlton rifled home an unstoppable finish at the Stretford End on 70 minutes. Shortly afterwards, Old Trafford erupted as Denis Law's shot seemingly rolled well over Fabio Cudicini's line; only for the celebrations to be curtailed as the officials failed to award the goal. United's incensed players ultimately ran out of time as the visitors booked a final berth against Ajax.

The Aftermath: Milan succeeded United as European champions; storming to a 4-1 win in the Santiago Bernabeu. The Reds, meanwhile, would not sample European Cup football again for almost 25 years. Snaring the inaugural Premier League title meant Old Trafford could welcome back the big time, as Hungarian champions Kipest Honved arrived in M16 in September 1993.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:45 AM   #33
sir_otz
first team
Aku adalah Aku

OT 100 #32: Cup classic

Not even extra time could separate Chelsea and Leeds in the 1970 FA Cup Final, so they resumed their fierce rivalry at Old Trafford 18 days later...

FA Cup Final Replay
29 April 1970, Old Trafford

Chelsea 2
(Osgood 78, Webb 104)
Leeds United 1
(Jones 35)

Attendance: 62,078

The Background: Despite a Wembley turf almost entirely covered with sand after hosting the Horse of the Year show a week earlier, the original Final was a thrilling affair between two sides blessed with grit and guile. Leeds led twice and were pegged back both times, despite edging an epic 120-minute encounter. A replay was required, and Old Trafford became the Final's first non-Wembley hosts for the first time since 1923.

The Occasion: A spellbinding run from Alan Clarke forged an opportunity for Mick Jones to hammer in an unstoppable opener for Leeds, 10 minutes before the break. Although the Whites continued to dominate another high-quality encounter, Chelsea drew level with little more than 10 minutes remaining in the second period, as Peter Osgood dived to head in Charlie Cooke's cross. The two sides continued to duke it out throughout extra time, but the Blues grabbed the winner when Ian Hutchinson's gargantuan throw-in was inadvertantly flicked on by Jack Charlton, giving right-back David Webb the chance to nod home and make himself the hero of the hour.

The Aftermath: Chelsea had their first FA Cup triumph, but Leeds would only have to wait another two years to break their own duck, at the expense of Arsenal. As for the FA Cup Final, it remained Wembley property until the stadium's redevelopment in 2000; at which point Cardiff's Millennium Stadium became the showpiece's home for the next six seasons.

Old 04-10-2010, 11:49 AM   #34
sir_otz
first team
Aku adalah Aku

OT 100 #33: Best's best

George Best lavished countless gifts upon the Old Trafford gallery during his legendary United career; and few are more cherished than his sumptuous Stretford End lob against Tottenham in February, 1971...

The Background:
The beauty of Best was the ease with which he could wave his wand, regardless of circumstance. United were languishing in 14th spot when high-flying Tottenham arrived in M16, but a touch of Ulster magic left countryman Pat Jennings red-faced and inspired an unlikely victory for Matt Busby’s side.

The Occasion: With the game goalless, Spurs goalkeeper Jennings contested a lofted cross with United winger Willie Morgan, from which the ball spun loose to Best, 15 yards from goal. The winger’s view consisted of Jennings on his six yard line, two Tottenham defenders on the goal-line and another adversary two yards away, and closing fast. No matter. The Ulsterman needed just two touches; one for chest control, the other to arc a gentle lob over all his opponents, dipping just in time to comfortably limbo under the Stretford End crossbar. Mere mortals would have struggled to get a shot off, but Best displayed the rarest ataraxia to simply bypass every obstacle. While a crowd of helpless players flapped and muddled around in vain attempts to stop the inevitable, George’s only subsequent movement was to lean around the melee to watch his shot drop into the net.

The Aftermath: The goal provoked the most understated of responses from Best, who simply raised an index finger skywards and walked away, smiling. All around him rang scoffs of amazement, while up on the gantry, BBC commentator Barry Davies could only marvel: “Beautiful. Absolutely beautiful."

Old 04-10-2010, 11:51 AM   #35
sir_otz
first team
Aku adalah Aku

OT 100 #34: Bobby's farewell

After amassing a club record number of goals and appearances, Bobby Charlton - the player, at least - waved farewell to Old Trafford on 23 April, 1973...

The Background:
Towards the end of the 1972/73 season, Bobby Charlton decided that his playing days were numbered. "Deep down I was perturbed, even a little scared about what awaited me," he recalls. "But I also knew that, like every player before me, I had a duty to represent only the best of myself on and off the field. If I felt something vital had gone out of my game, and my feelings for it, I had no option but to leave."

The Occasion: As United stumbled towards the end of another difficult campaign, Sheffield United provided the opposition in the final home game of the season. News had already spread that Charlton would be hanging up his boots, and 57,280 supporters swelled Old Trafford to say their goodbyes. An emotional afternoon culminated in a 2-1 defeat for the Reds, but the home support cheered long and loud after the final whistle for a man who had become a living United legend, while Charlton himself described the scenes as 'inevitably poignant.'

The Aftermath: Having been afforded a rapturous reception by all corners of Stamford Bridge in his last competitive United game, against Chelsea, Charlton turned his hand to coaching. He became manager, then briefly player-manager, at Preston North End for two seasons, but returned to Old Trafford as a member of the club's board in 1984. Knighted in 1994, Sir Bobby remains a United ambassador, as well as the club's record goalscorer and second-highest appearance-maker, behind Ryan Giggs.

Old 04-10-2010, 11:53 AM   #36
sir_otz
first team
Aku adalah Aku

OT 100 #35: Law's final act

Having rejoined his former side, Manchester City, Denis Law returned to Old Trafford on an afternoon in 1974 when the Reds stared in the face of relegation...

"The rest of the City team dived on me, but I didn't celebrate. I was feeling sick, wondering what I had done. Had I just dumped my beloved Manchester United into the Second Division. I was totally depressed, wishing the ball had gone wide."
- Denis Law

The Background: A miserable season for Tommy Docherty's United culminated in a final day Manchester derby, where even victory wouldn't be enough if both Southampton and Birmingham won their own games. Lining up for the visitors, even though he openly didn't want to take part, was Reds legend Denis Law.

The Occasion: A scrappy game seemed destined for a draw until late on, when Law backheeled in an outrageous goal at the Scoreboard End. Mortified that his attempt had beaten Alex Stepney, the Lawman did not celebrate as he was mobbed by jubilant team-mates. The goal prompted a pitch invasion of fans, not attempting to get to their former idol; instead trying to prompt the abandonment of the fixture, in which they succeeded.

The Aftermath: Although eight minutes of playing time still remained, the Football Association deemed that the result should stand, sending United down to Division Two. Results elsewhere meant that Law's goal was not responsible for the Reds' relegation, although the goal remains one of the defining moments of the Scot's epic career. Upon returning from the 1974 World Cup months later, Law decreed that it was time to retire.

Old 04-10-2010, 11:56 AM   #37
sir_otz
first team
Aku adalah Aku

OT 100 #36: Reds on the up

After the disappointment of relegation in 1974, United wasted little time in plotting an escape route from Division Two...

"They always reckon that the Second Division trophy is the one that nobody really wants to win. I don't take that view. We have won against tough opposition and now we are back at the top. And we haven't finished yet."
- Tommy Docherty

The Background: United won the opening four games of the 1974/75 season to top the table, and headed the chasing pack for the remainder of the campaign. Victory at Southampton had secured United's promotion with three games to spare, and a draw at Notts County in the penultimate game of the season assured the Reds of heading up as champions. Thus, the final game of the season against Blackpool was a no-strings attached affair; fun for all.

The Occasion: A whopping 58,769 supporters crammed into Old Trafford to say farewell to second tier football, and Tommy Docherty's side turned on the style with a rip-roaring 4-0 win through goals from Stuart Pearson (2), Lou Macari and Brian Greenhoff. At full time, jubilant United supporters cascaded onto the field to join the Doc and his triumphant players.

The Aftermath: United's return to the top flight was sensational, topping the First Division for the opening two months of the campaign and ultimately finishing third, behind champions Liverpool and QPR. However, disappointment beckoned in the FA Cup, where United were shocked by Second Division Southampton in the final at Wembley.

Old 04-10-2010, 12:01 PM   #38
sir_otz
first team
Aku adalah Aku

OT 100 #37: Heroic exit

Having overcome St Etienne in the 1977/78 European Cup Winners' Cup first round, United were next paired with a talented Porto side...

Such Glorious Failure, United

"Fighting hearts, dauntless determination and non-stop aggression were not enough last night to save magnificent Manchester United from failure in the Cup Winners' Cup. But this was surely the most glorious failure since the Charge of the Light Brigade. So savage was the pounding to which they subjected the panic-stricken Portuguese that there could be no man among Porto players who would not admit, if he were honest, that for the visiting side it was a lucky escape."
- Ronald Crowther, Daily Mail
November 2, 1977

The Background: United took a hammering in the first leg over in Portugal, as Brazilian striker Duda inspired the hosts to a 4-0 victory. The nature of the Reds' annihilation yielded little hope for the second leg at Old Trafford, but manager Tommy Docherty merely encouraged his bold, free-flowing side to throw caution to the wind in front of an impressively optimistic 51,381-strong crowd.

The Occasion: The Reds flew out of the traps, and moved ahead within eight minutes through Steve Coppell, who turned in an electrifying performance all evening. Although Porto winger Arsenio Seninho levelled with a solo strike on 30 minutes, a Murca own goal and Jimmy Nicholl's strike had the Reds 3-1 ahead at the break. Coppell struck again after the interval to prolong United's hopes, and the Reds continued to apply non-stop pressure throughout, only for Seninho to extinguish all optimism on 84 minutes after another winding run and shot on the counter-attack. There was still time for Stuart Pearson to force another own goal from Murca, but United ultimately bowed out 5-6 on aggregate.

The Aftermath: United's heroics earned deserved plaudits, but the Reds were left cursing the defensive lapses which had allowed Seninho to fire his side into the next round. Pearson could only lament: "If we hadn't given those two stupid breakaway goals away in the second leg, it would have been hailed as one of the great fightbacks of all time."

Old 04-10-2010, 12:04 PM   #39
sir_otz
first team
Aku adalah Aku

OT 100 #38: Reds' century

100 years after a group of railway workers formed the Newton Heath L&YR FC, Manchester United welcomed Real Madrid to M16 for a glorious celebration...

The Background:
Newton Heath L&YR FC, latterly Newton Heath, formed back in 1878, before becoming Manchester United in 1902. To mark a century since the Heathens' formation, the club arranged a special pre-season friendly with Real Madrid. The Spanish giants had competed in regular mid-season friendlies with the Reds during the 1950s and 1960s, and were more than happy to visit Manchester on 7 August, 1978.

The Occasion: Pre-match, representatives from worldwide United supporters clubs paraded around the Old Trafford turf on a balmy evening. While Real's European success had dried up in comparison to their glorious 1950's era, the Spaniards arrived in M16 having just clinched a third La Liga title in four years. Few among the crowd of almost 50,000 could have predicted such a one-sided affair, then, as United romped to a 4-0 win through braces from Brian Greenhoff and Lou Macari.

The Aftermath: The first season of United's second century, 1978/79, was one of marginally more lows than highs. Mid-table mediocrity beckoned at the end of a mixed First Division campaign, while the Reds were left stunned by a last-gasp FA Cup Final defeat to Arsenal. Trailing 2-0 with five minutes remaining, United scored twice in four minutes to level but then immediately conceded again as the Gunners won 3-2 in normal time.

Old 04-10-2010, 12:06 PM   #40
sir_otz
first team
Aku adalah Aku

OT 100 #39: Baggies blitz

On 30 December, 1978, West Bromwich Albion visited Old Trafford for the final league match of the year...

The Background:
Dave Sexton's Reds were unpredictable throughout the 1978/79 campaign, and went into their clash against the Baggies on the back of three-goal defeats against Bolton and Liverpool. Under Ron Atkinson, the visitors were enjoying a successful season and arrived full of confidence. Both sides were renowned for serving up attacking football and goal-laden games, and they didn't disappoint...

The Occasion: Brian Greenhoff opened the scoring with a magnificent 25-yard volley for the Reds, only for the Baggies to turn the game on its head with Tony Brown's well-taken snapshot and a scorching 18-yarder from Len Cantello. However, Gordon McQueen's free header and Sammy McIlroy's near-post shot edged United ahead, before Brown equalised again with the final act of the first half. Even Atkinson lost track, and assured his players at half-time that they didn't deserve to be losing. When Brown pointed out that they weren't, Atkinson simply said: "fair enough, go get me a winner." Despite his uncertainty, the Baggies heeded their manager's words and took all three points through clinical finishes from Laurie Cunningham and Cyrille Regis.

The Aftermath: United finished the season in ninth spot, while the Baggies went on to claim third and reached the quarter-finals of the UEFA Cup. Sexton's tenure as manager lasted until 1981, when Atkinson ended his term at the Hawthorns and took the Old Trafford helm.

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 10
adietiv, Alzeleven, anakautiz, betetabet, fajrinited, FirdaAnnisa, fredrian.seven, geronimo, Muhammad Nizar, TomClare