View Single Post
Old 18-01-2017, 12:41 PM   #199
zudomiriku

Thanked 1,785 Times in 921 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
zudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alexander Büttner

Alexander Buttner insists he was a success at Manchester United because he won more Premier League titles than Steven Gerrard

* Alexander Buttner made 28 appearances in two seasons at Manchester United
* Dutchman was sold to Dynamo Moscow after unspectacular spell in England
* Defender insists he was a success after winning more titles than Steven Gerrard
* The 27-year-old left back rejoined first club Vitesse Arnhem on Monday

Former Manchester United defender Alexander Buttner insists he was a success in the Premier League because he won more title medals than Steven Gerrard.

The left back made just 28 appearances for the Red Devils under Sir Alex Ferguson and David Moyes over two seasons before leaving for Dynamo Moscow in 2014.

However, despite failing to make an impact with United, the Dutchman claims the fact he won the Premier League title in 2013, a feat Gerrard failed to achieve during his time with Liverpool, proves he triumphed in England.

Alexander Buttner spent two season with Manchester United before moving to Russia in 2014. Buttner claims he was a Premier League success as he won more titles than Steven Gerrard

'I was on the pitch for United 30 times. Who can say that he has been a champion in England? I can. Even Steven Gerrard did not succeed,' Buttner told De Telegraaf.

'I've become a much better football player, I played in the quarter-finals of the Champions League against Bayern Munich and Arjen Robben.'

Buttner made a great start to life in Manchester after joining on a five-year deal in 2012, scoring and setting one up in a 4-0 home victory over Wigan as he was named Man of the Match.

However, he only made five league appearances in his debut season but was awarded a winners' medal after the Premier League relaxed their rules.

Previously only players who had made 10 or more league appearances were eligible but Ferguson was happy to reward all of his squad and said of the left back: '[Alexander] Buttner’s been great because he’s travelled to every away game with us, he’s been involved in every single training session, he’s played three times and been a substitute another 10 times, something like that. So I think that’s a contribution.'

Though Gerrard did fail to lift the Premier League trophy during his 17 years with Liverpool, the former Reds talisman did win the Champions League, the UEFA Cup, the FA Cup twice as well as the League Cup on three occasions.

Meanwhile, Buttner returned to his first club Vitesse Arnhem in Holland on Monday, following a loan spell with Belgian giants Anderlecht last season.

The 27-year-old previously spent two-and-a-half years with Dynamo Moscow who were relegated from the Russian top-flight in 2016 and is yet to earn a cap for the Holland national team having appeared for his country at Under 20 level.

Code:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4130170/Buttner-claims-success-won-titles-Gerrard.html