Thread: Michael Carrick
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2009, 09:53 AM   #7
Ucup Carrick
captain

Thanked 1,304 Times in 618 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Ucup Carrick is a glorious beacon of lightUcup Carrick is a glorious beacon of lightUcup Carrick is a glorious beacon of lightUcup Carrick is a glorious beacon of lightUcup Carrick is a glorious beacon of lightUcup Carrick is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Michael Carrick

Michael Carrick: Manchester United Expected A Tough Match Against Wolfsburg
The English midfielder responds to his critics with an improved performance...

Oct 1, 2009 12:17:11 AM

Manchester United midfielder Michael Carrick has insisted that his side were not surprised with the tough resistance put up by German champions Wolfsburg in their Champions League clash on Wednesday night.

United had to battle back from a goal down, but eventually ran out 2-1 winners thanks to goals from Ryan Giggs and Carrick himself.

The England international had a point to prove after bearing the brunt of considerable criticism this season, having slipped behind Darren Fletcher and Paul Scholes in the pecking order after some sub-par displays.

"We expected a tough game. They [Wolfsburg have] got some really big threats going forward," Carrick told Sky Sports News.

"We were prepared for that and we knew the pitch with the weather it was going to be a quick game.

"We were conscious that we wanted to play well tonight and to build upon what we had in Turkey [against Besiktas]."

The victory means United remain top of their group after winning both their opening matches.

Carrick admitted to being relieved to getting on the scoresheet after missing an easier chance earlier when he was put through by Dimitar Berbatov.

"To get six points out of the two games, we're very happy with that. I thought first half we played some decent stuff at times," he said.

"We couldn't quite open them up. I had a decent chance. I'm glad I made amends for that.

"We had the opportunity. We had a good spell before they scored. They scored and thankfully we managed to step it up a gear."

Philip Wen, Goal.com UK
Ucup Carrick is offline   Reply With Quote