View Single Post
Old 30-07-2019, 09:41 AM   #20
zudomiriku

Thanked 1,785 Times in 921 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
zudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Daniel Owen James

Daniel James insists he'll be steeled against tough tackling in the Premier League after ugly scenes involving Moussa Sissoko during Manchester United's friendly against Tottenham

* Daniel James has been a target for opponents during Manchester United's tour
* Moussa Sissoko appeared to stamp on the winger during clash with Tottenham
* The £15m former Swansea starlet insists he can cope with the treatment

Manchester United's new £15million signing Daniel James says he is ready for the roughhouse treatment coming his way this season.

It follows an ugly incident in United's 2-1 win over Tottenham in Shanghai on Thursday when James was fouled and then stamped on by Spurs midfielder Moussa Sissoko.

The Wales winger has been targeted by opponents on a number of occasions in United's wins over Perth Glory, Leeds, Inter Milan and Spurs on tour.

Although Mauricio Pochettino apologised for his players' conduct in the first half at the Hongdou Stadium, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer admitted that James' pace is always going to draw fouls.

The 21-year-old former Swansea player also accepts he will be a target, saying: 'If you watch any of my games from last season I think it's going to happen to me every game.

'I got some rough treatment (against Spurs) but it's literally every game – I'm used to it. It's just about getting back up and getting on with it.

'It's always going to be part of my game. Being a winger, I'm always going to get fouled but it's just about how you get on with it. I don't let it get in my head and just keep going.

'The Sissoko one, I've nipped in just before and he's fouled me at the edge of the box in a good position. Part of my game is about winning those fouls and getting in good positions.'

Asked if he gets enough protection from referees, James added: 'Yeah, I think I do. I'd say in these friendly games the refs are a bit more lenient, maybe a bit more lenient than they are back home.

Manchester United's new signing Dan James says he is ready for rough treatment in top flight. The Wales winger admitted that there had been a couple of incidents with Moussa Sissoko

'It's a friendly so you're always going to be more lenient. They don't want to be handing out red cards. We'll see when we get back, but certainly last year there was a bit of rough treatment.'

James and United's other new signing Aaron Wan-Bissaka, also 21, have impressed on tour along with four of the club's academy graduates - Mason Greenwood, Tahith Chong, Axel Tuanzebe and Angel Gomes who scored the winner against Spurs with his first senior goal.

'Obviously my aim is to play but I don't expect to play,' said James. 'We've got amazing forward players here and even the youngsters coming through have done really well.

'Mason has scored two, Chongy has done really well and Angel scored today. Spurs are going to be one of the teams challenging for the league next season, as we hope to.

'It's been a great tour. That was our fourth game and we shared the minutes. It was up and down and at times, and it was slow because the humidity really got to us. We're going to feel a lot fitter going back.

'We've been showing what we've been doing in training. That high press and trying to win the ball back. When we've won the ball high up and we've gone on the counter which is something the gaffer has brought it. That's his philosophy.'

United still have friendlies against Kristiansund in Oslo on Tuesday and AC Milan in Cardiff before they kick off the season at home to Chelsea, and James has staked his claim for a place in the starting line-up.

'It's always going to be tough but it's a long season,' he added. 'If it's not there at the start, I've just got to keep biding my time and try and get in that team.

'Obviously, I hope that I start on the first day (at home to Chelsea) but it's not always the case. I've started a few but we've shared the minutes. I think all the positions are still up for grabs.

'The gaffer has given everyone a chance to play. We've still got two games to go before the start of the season. Everyone is playing well and hopefully it will be difficult for him to pick the team.'

Code:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7292159/Manchester-United-News-Dan-James-insists-hes-prepared-rough-ride-Premier-League.html