United Indonesia - Manchester United Indonesia Supporters Club
Register
Go Back   United Indonesia - Manchester United Indonesia Supporters Club > INSIDE MANCHESTER UNITED > United Crew > Ex United

Old 30-05-2020, 07:49 AM   #221
Andi Istiabudi
manager
Youtube: Andi Istiabudi

Thanked 2,334 Times in 1,748 Posts
Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Andi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to behold

Default Re: Ex - United player News (various)

CHADWICK: I TAKE MY PREMIER LEAGUE MEDAL ON NIGHTS OUT!

Former United winger Luke Chadwick has revealed that he always takes his Premier League winner's medal with him on nights out in Cambridge.

The Academy graduate was part of our 14th top-flight success, in 2000/01, making 16 appearances as Alex Ferguson's side eased to a third consecutive triumph.

And, in the latest MUTV Group Chat, the 39-year-old admitted he keeps his piece of silverware very close at hand, in case he needs to remind anyone of his achievements.

“I don't go out as much anymore,” he confessed to Stewart Gardner, “but if I go out on a night out in Cambridge on a Friday night, I'll always have my medal on under my blazer so I'm ready to show everyone!”

The Cambridgeshire native remarked that just being around the squad was a privilege, and highlighted his two goals that season as his greatest United memories.

“Winning the league was an incredible one,” he explained. “If I wasn't there, I'm pretty sure they still would have won the league that season! But just being part of it, just being around it... You probably don't appreciate it as much as a young lad like I was. But it's something that I'll certainly tell the grandkids about.

“I think the two best moments would have been scoring two goals – one at Bradford and one at Leeds. I remember the one at Leeds clearly.

“Ole [Gunnar Solskjaer] had shot and Nigel Martyn was in goal – he was one of the best keepers in the league – but somehow he dropped it and I was just running in, my eyes just lit up thinking: even I can't miss this one, I'm going to tap it in! And then I ran off like an absolute lunatic! So that was probably the best moment.”

Chadwick had joined the club as a 14-year-old, after Ferguson had made it crystal clear just how badly the club wanted Luke's services.

“I remember going up on trial, as a 14-year-old, and by the time I'd got home he'd phoned my mum up to see if I'd sign for the club,” he recalled.

“But I don't think it was just me – he'd do that for everyone. I was in the club as a first-team player or in the first-team squad, and there'd be Under-10 and Under-11 Academy boys in the canteen, and he'd know everyone's name.

“He'd know what their parents were called, he'd know where they were from. It was those details: the way that he'd treat the dinner ladies and the kit men as well as he'd treat the top players like Roy Keane and Ryan Giggs.

“He had everyone pulling in the same direction that had to want to work extra hard and, for me, that is the genius of the man, and why the club has had such incredible success there.”

Chadwick left in 2004 to join West Ham United, after making 39 first-team appearances between 1999 and 2002.

In 2015, he returned to Old Trafford to play against the Reds for his hometown club Cambridge United in an FA Cup fourth-round replay, which United won 3-0.

www.manutd.com
Andi Istiabudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2020, 08:23 AM   #222
zudomiriku
Happy New Year 2023

Thanked 1,785 Times in 921 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
zudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond repute

Luke Chadwick revels in his Manchester United cult hero status as he dons his 2001 Premier League title winner's medal for a lockdown birthday party 19 years on... to the delight of fans who use him to mock Steven Gerrard

* Ex-Manchester United midfielder Luke Chadwick turned 40 on Wednesday
* Chadwick shared what he got up to on his special day via some Twitter posts
* The 40-year-old posted two videos of himself celebrating by singing karaoke

How do you celebrate a milestone birthday? Well if you're Luke Chadwick you do so with a spot of karaoke while wearing one of your prized possessions.

The former Manchester United and England Under-21 midfielder turned 40 on Wednesday and took to Twitter to give a glimpse of his celebrations.

Dressed smartly in a suit, Chadwick posed for a photo wearing his Premier League winner's medal - won with United during the 2000-01 campaign.

Luke Chadwick wore his Premier League winner's medal during his 40th birthday celebrations. Chadwick was part of United's 2000-01 title-winning team, making 16 league appearances

'All dressed up for the lockdown party,' he captioned that photo. Party popper Will be in bed by ten, have drunk a little too much already.'

The picture of Chadwick with the Premier League winner's medal was of great satisfaction to some Manchester United supporters who revel in the fact he possesses something that Liverpool icon Steven Gerrard doesn't.

Despite going on to have a more successful career, Gerrard never won the Premier League - something Chadwick can say he has. And United fans were quick to tease about Gerrard in Chadwick's replies.

'Let Gerrard in for a look at that medal pal,' wrote one user; while another put: 'Chadwick 1-0 Gerrard. Happy birthday Luke'.

Other replies included 'Hooch, WKD and a medal Steven Gerrard would kill for. What a birthday!' and 'Happy birthday Chadders..... Got more Premier league winners medals than Gerrard.....!'

Manchester United supporters wished Chadwick a happy birthday and taunted Steven Gerrard

Despite stating he would be asleep by 10pm, Chadwick was very much still going beyond that as his next two social posts revealed.

Fully in the spirit of things, Chadwick was enjoying himself as he shared two videos of himself singing. The first was Don McLean's 'American Pie', the second 'Angels' by Robbie Williams.

Accompanying the latter video, Chadwick captioned it: 'One for the road! Off to bed, need to be fresh for the morning! The dog ain’t gonna walk itself!

'Had a great day, won the quiz and karaoke and came second at Uno. Thank you for all your birthday wishes.'

He received a Cambridge United shirt with surname and age on the back of it as a present

And updating his followers on Thursday morning Chadwick, who received a Cambridge United shirt with No 40 on the back - one of his former clubs, revealed he was feeling a little worse for wear.

'Feeling a tad ropey this morning, must of been something I ate.

'Had a real mixed bag of reviews for my singing but as a performer I accept that and understand my style is quite niche! Hopeful of hearing back from a couple of record labels today. Enjoy your day.'

Chadwick made 39 senior appearances before leaving United in 2006 to join West Ham. He then went on to play for Stoke, Norwich Milton Keynes Dons and Cambridge United before retiring at non-league side Soham Rangers.

He is now coaching children in the Cambridgeshire community at Football Fun Factory.

He finished his professional career with hometown club Cambridge and is now in coaching

Earlier this year, Chadwick spoke out about his mental health struggles after being mocked about his appearance on BBC's sports quiz show They Think It's All Over.

In May, Chadwick opened up about how the jibes at his expense, which focused on his looks, obliterated his already fragile confidence as a youngster.

The presenter of the show Nick Hancock publicly apologised to Chadwick, as did team captain Gary Lineker who appeared on the show - with both being accepted by Chadwick.

They Think It's All Over, which ran from 1995-2006, was a late-night satirical sports panel show featuring famous names as guests, with Lineker the most high-profile of the team captains, along with David Gower.

Code:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8965351/Luke-Chadwick-celebrates-turning-40-wearing-Manchester-United-Premier-League-winners-medal.html
Old 24-11-2020, 08:58 AM   #223
zudomiriku
Happy New Year 2023

zudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond repute

Former Manchester United wing-half Maurice Setters, who was Bobby Charlton's best man and assistant to Jack Charlton with Ireland, dies aged 83 after battle with Alzheimer's

* Maurice Setters has died at the age of 83 after six-year battle with Alzheimer's
* Wing-half made over 400 appearances in Football League in his playing career
* He was part of the Manchester United team that won the FA Cup in 1963
* Setters was best man at the 1961 wedding of Bobby Charlton and his wife Norma
* He was right-hand man to Jack Charlton during Republic of Ireland's golden era

Maurice Setters, the former Manchester United player and Republic of Ireland assistant manager, has died aged 83.

The wing-half, who made more than 400 appearances in the Football League, was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease six years ago.

He spent his last two years in a residential home but became unwell a week ago and passed away at the Doncaster Royal Infirmary on Sunday morning.

Maurice Setters (left) shares a joke with Jack Charlton during a training session with the Republic of Ireland. Setters was Charlton's right-hand man for nine years

United have paid tribute to Setters, who was best man at the 1961 wedding of club legend Sir Bobby Charlton and his wife, Norma.

The club said they were deeply saddened to learn of Setters’ passing, adding: ‘A fearsome competitor, Maurice made 194 appearances during the 1960s for United. He was part of our FA Cup-winning side in 1963 and captained the team on a number of occasions. Rest in peace, Maurice.’

Setters, from Devon, made 10 appearances for Exeter City before being snapped up by First Division West Bromwich Albion.

Setters (left) and Charlton salute the travelling Irish fans in Rome at the 1990 World Cup finals. Setters has died at the age of 83 following a six year battle with Alzheimer's Disease

Sir Matt Busby, searching for experience in the wake of the 1958 Munich Air Disaster, brought him to Old Trafford for £30,000 in 1960 following five successful years at the Hawthorns that saw him named as a reserve for England’s 1958 World Cup squad.

While with United, Setters lifted the FA Cup in 1963. But after losing his place to Nobby Stiles, he moved to Stoke City and would later play for Coventry and Charlton, along with a short spell in the United States.

After hanging up his boots he managed Doncaster Rovers for three and a half years and settled in the area before becoming Jack Charlton’s assistant at Sheffield Wednesday.

Setters again teamed up with the 1966 England World Cup winner with the Republic of Ireland from 1986 to 1995.

FA of Ireland president Gerry McAnaney said Setters was ‘integral to the glory days of Irish football’, adding: ‘Maurice was with Jack Chartlon every inch of the way as they led Ireland to the 1988 European Championship and the World Cups in Italy in 1990 and the USA four years later.’

Code:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8978097/Former-Manchester-United-player-Jack-Charltons-assistant-Maurice-Setters-dies-aged-83.html
Old 23-12-2020, 08:07 AM   #224
Andi Istiabudi
manager

Andi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to behold

Semoga diberikan ketenangan dan mendapat tempat terbaik di sisiNya..

Old 18-02-2021, 08:46 AM   #225
zudomiriku
Happy New Year 2023

The ex-Man United star helping the homeless through Covid: His shelter was deemed unsafe in a pandemic, so Lou Macari filled a warehouse with glamping pods equipped with beds, heaters and TVs - and numbered doors so residents can find work more easily

* Former footballer Lou Macari runs a shelter for the homeless in Stoke-on-Trent
* Macari had to adapt his operation to keep the shelter open amid the pandemic
* Dormitory accommodation needed to close so Macari went with glamping pods
* The spaces have beds, heaters and TVs and has allowed the shelter to operate

Lou Macari has detailed how he was forced to adapt to the demands of the Covid-19 pandemic to keep his homeless shelter in Stoke-on-Trent open.

The former footballer, who played more than 400 matches for Manchester United, had 40 people using his shelter when the pandemic struck in March last year and the dormitory-style accommodation was no longer deemed safe and suitable.

The UK Government called for closure of these dorms and while some within the homeless community were moved to hotels, Macari chose to move to a warehouse 'the size of a football pitch' to keep many of his residents together.

Glamping style pods were installed in a warehouse as part of a £16million renovation to transform Lou Macari's homeless shelter to help those less fortunate in Stoke-on-Trent

The new 'pod' accommodation offers a closeable front door with a number on for residents

Macari, 71, installed 'glamping' style pods inside the warehouse and kitted them out with new beds, heaters, televisions and a numbered front door to give the residents proof of address when searching for work.

'The change it's made is incredible,' Macari told BBC 5 Live.

'I'd stumbled onto something which is probably a far bigger help to homeless people than anything else that we talk about.'

Four years ago Macari set up the shelter with his foundation having been struck by the lack of help being offered to the homeless in his native Stoke-on-Trent.

The 'pod' style development is the biggest renovation since Macari set up the shelter and the idea was born after seeing the pods while camping.

He added: 'I thought will these work in a warehouse? And I thought well there's no reason why they wouldn't.'

Resident Terry Beckett told StokeonTrentLive: 'It's a lot different to the old place. If I need to go get my head straight, I can just go to my own room.

'I liked the old place, but I couldn't do that there. Living here is much more like a normal life.'

Macari, 71, (left) had to adapt to the Covid-19 pandemic with the former Manchester United midfielder (right) instructed by Government to close his previous dormitory facilities

The shelter was inundated with donations and suppliers with Arch Leisure providing the accommodation pods.

It was the League Managers' Association who donated a television for every pod with Macari, an LMA member, aware that the group is sponsored by tech company LG.

'You forget homeless people don't have televisions,' he said. 'They're not out in the street with televisions and of course now they've shown an interest in everything.'

Dusal made and donated 75 new hotel-quality duvets for the renovation project while local companies such as Stoke's Steelite International provided 70 new mugs for guests to use.

'They've gone from untidy people, to showing a great deal of pride in their pod,' Macari added.

'Because there's a number outside, they can now go to the job centre, they can say 'No 4 Regent Road and the house I live in is number 5'.'

Nick, one of the occupants in the pods at Macari's warehouse, struggled to put into words how beneficial the renovation has been on the lives of the residents.

'The difference between over there and over here is unbelievable Lou,' he told Macari. 'What you've done... I can actually shut the door and get rid of the rest of you [laughs]!

Macari revealed plans to install gym equipment between the pods, separated to comply with social distancing.

The 71-year-old is aiming for a rowing machine, punch bag, a treadmill among other facilities.

The renovation project, which began last year, was funded from the council's £16million coronavirus funding from the Government.

The Macari Centre pledges to provide emergency shelter and safe, short-term accommodation for people in need in the Stoke area.

Code:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-9269705/How-ex-Man-United-ace-Lou-Macari-adapted-homeless-shelter-Covid-19.html
Old 05-03-2021, 12:22 AM   #226
Andi Istiabudi
manager

Turut berduka cita, rest in peace...

Old 26-03-2021, 09:27 AM   #227
zudomiriku
Happy New Year 2023

'I would have DIED from the drink': Former Manchester United goalkeeper Roy Carroll on his battle with alcoholism and depression, his plans to help the next generation and THAT 'save'

* Former Manchester United goalkeeper Roy Carroll has battled with alcoholism
* He opened up to Sportsmail on his issues with alcohol and his depression
* Carroll won the Premier League at United but found life off the pitch difficult
* He wants to use his experience for good and help others from following his path

Before lockdown, Roy Carroll used to show youngsters at his goalkeeping school a video of his infamous save for Manchester United against Tottenham in 2005, scooping the ball back from so far over the line you could almost see the net ripple.

'I'm not going to say it isn't the one I get asked about most because it is. People want to know what happened,' says Carroll.

'The incident with Roy Keane and Patrick Vieira in the tunnel against Arsenal is the second biggest thing. That was a fantastic night, two good teams in a battle, a war.'

Roy Carroll opened up to Sportsmail on his battles on and off the pitch across his career. He explained how he is regularly asked about his infamous save in 2005 against Tottenham

Then the talks stopped. So did his RC1 school, even though Carroll stays in touch with students on Zoom. The Covid crisis bit hard all over again, having initially forced him to leave his job as a goalkeeping coach at Nottingham Forest's academy after one day and return to Northern Ireland a year ago.

A man who is brutally honest about his battle with depression has found life in lockdown tough.

Carroll admits he was starting to struggle again before Dungannon Swifts offered him the opportunity to play again at the age of 43, two years after his last Irish League appearance for Linfield.

'Trust me, in this day and age when we're locked down, I know what people are going through,' says the former United keeper.

'I'd been good for quite a long time until this. It doesn't matter how strong you are, it knocks you down.

'I would have to fight very hard sitting in the house. I was struggling with it because I didn't know what I could do, then Dungannon came in for me. I never thought I would be back playing again after being out for so long.

Carroll, 43, enjoyed a 12-club strong career with Notts County (right) his last club in England

The Northern Irishman began drinking in 2006 and it soon became more and more frequent

'I'm lucky. We watch football every night on TV and these professionals don't realise how lucky they are to still be playing. I feel sorry for the thousands of kids, men and women who can't play sport. I know how serious that is for mental health.

'You have to show a brave face for the kids when you're doing Zoom chats because each week they're getting more and more down. There's no point me saying everything is brilliant — it's not.'

Last year, Carroll joined FC Mindwell, a club set up for men with mental health issues, to raise awareness and help others.

The club also signed his former Northern Ireland team-mate Keith Gillespie, quite a coup for a team playing in Division Three of the Mid-Ulster League.

'I appreciated what FC Mindwell were doing,' says Carroll. 'I didn't realise how serious it was until I first moved back home in 2016. It opened my eyes and I just want to give something back because I went through a really bad time with depression and alcohol. I want people to understand it's OK to talk.

'I've been off the drink now for 10 years in June. It's a habit, you get into a routine.

'It can happen to anybody with depression and drinking quite heavily in the house: nothing else to look forward to, just having a couple of beers.

'It gets worse the longer lockdown is. You have a few drinks and more drinks the next night. That's you, you're addicted.'

Carroll's concerns about lockdown are no surprise considering his problems with depression and alcoholism started at West Ham in 2006 when he was cooped up at home with a back injury.

'I'd never had a long injury before and slowly but surely I was getting into a deeper hole. I wasn't mentally prepared for it,' he says.

'I was just in a dark room and drinking heavily. I had no outside help. Nobody knew what was wrong with me because I never spoke about it. Everybody thought I was the happiest guy in the world but I would go home, shut the door and bang my head against the wall, have a few drinks to try and forget.

'For me, it was getting rid of the depression. You'd have loads to drink and forget about it. The next day it got worse and you're back on the drink. It doesn't work. I went into rehab because others wanted me to: my wife, my agent and my friends. I didn't see there was anything wrong with me, that was my biggest problem.'

Carroll's drinking continued while he was at Rangers, Derby and Danish club Odense. But it spiralled out of control in the nine months he was out of work after leaving Denmark.

'When I had a club, I always had the mind to not drink the day before a game,' he says. 'That was strange — when I stopped playing and nobody wanted me, I was drinking nearly every day.

Carroll joined FC Mindwell, a club set up for men with mental health issues, to raise awareness. The ex-United goalkeeper won the league at Old Trafford (right) but those highs were replaced by lows in his battle with alcoholism and Carroll believes had he not stopped he would be dead. Now the ex-United and West Ham shot-stopper wants to help others who have similar battles

'I had a lot of time on my hands, my drinking was crazy. If I hadn't stopped, I wouldn't be here today. I don't feel my body would have held up to it.

'I was never at that stage where I would have killed myself. I was quite lucky I wasn't that far ahead. But I would have died from the drink. The stuff I was drinking and the way I was drinking it, I wouldn't have woken up one morning. I don't care about alcohol any more. The first four or five years were very difficult but now I don't need it. I'm mad enough without the drink!

'But the depression will come back once in a while. I'm never going to get rid of it.

'A lot of footballers will be going through it, but they don't come out and say it until they retire. They try to keep it in because it's their livelihood.'

The light bulb moment came on June 11, 2011. Carroll was living on his own in Canary Wharf, separated from his wife Kerry and two children, and still without a club.

'I looked in the mirror, something just clicked and I said, "What am I doing?" That was it, I changed my life around,' he recalls. 'I was in an apartment away from my family because I went downhill big time.

'My wife found out I was off the drink. She invited me back to the house and we had a good talk.'

A few weeks later, Carroll got a call from a Greek agent offering him the chance to revive his career in Crete. The lifestyle was ideal for the family to make a fresh start and his form earned him a move to Olympiacos.

Carroll was grateful for the unexpected opportunity then, as he is now. Most of all, he wants to use his experience to help others.

One day, a man who earned 45 caps for his country would love to be responsible for overseeing Northern Ireland's goalkeeping structure up to the senior team. Not just to pass on his expertise but to steer players away from the mistakes he made.

'Footballers get abuse on social media — stay away from it,' says Carroll. 'The trolls just want to ruin people's lives. My biggest downfall then was that I worried about what others thought. People can think what they want about me now.

'I'm more worried about the one person who is reading this and it might help him or her or their kids.'

Code:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9403495/Man-United-Roy-Carroll-battles-alcoholism-depression-save-against-Tottenham.html
Old 17-08-2021, 09:35 PM   #228
zudomiriku
Happy New Year 2023

Ex-Manchester United director Maurice Watkins, who helped keep Sir Alex Ferguson at Old Trafford when he threatened to retire in 2002, dies aged 79

* Former Manchester United director Maurice Watkins has passed away aged 79
* The sports lawyer was on the club's board for 28 years between 1984 and 2012
* Watkins helped hire legendary manager Sir Alex Ferguson at Old Trafford
* The lawyer also represented Rio Ferdinand and Eric Cantona in their trials
* He was British Swimming chairman and helped Team GB's Tokyo 2020 effort

Former Manchester United director Maurice Watkins CBE, who brought Sir Alex Ferguson to the Premier League club in 1986, has passed away aged 79.

Watkins spent 28 years at Old Trafford before retiring in 2012 and was involved in some of the biggest decisions the club made in that period.

Not only was Watkins crucial in appointing Ferguson, who went on to become the most successful manager in United's history, to the club - but he also convinced the Scot to stay on as manager when he threatened to retire after the 2001-02 season.

His final role in sport saw him take up the role of British Swimming chairman, with Team GB enjoying their most successful Olympic Games campaign in Tokyo this summer, just before his passing.

Former Manchester United director Maurice Watkins has passed away aged 79

Watkins (second right) helped to hire Sir Alex Ferguson (left) to Manchester United in 1986

Educated at Manchester Grammar School, Watkins became a director at United in 1984 - on the day Sir Bobby Charlton was appointed to the same role - and also held the position of club solicitor.

He represented former United and England defender Rio Ferdinand at the hearing which saw the defender banned from playing for eight months and fined £50,000 for failing to take a drugs test, as well as Eric Cantona at his assault trial when the striker performed a 'kung fu' kick on Crystal Palace fan Matthew Simmons in January 1995.

But his most important role with the Red Devils was helping to keep Ferguson at the club when the Scot revealed in the summer of 2001 that he wanted to quit the club after the upcoming season due to personal reasons, against the board's wishes.

Watkins (right) represented Rio Ferdinand (left) when the defender was handed a drugs ban. He also represented Eric Cantona at his assault trial over his 1995 kung fu kick at Crystal Palace

Watkins worked with the United hierarchy to try and convince Ferguson to stay longer, with the manager deciding in February 2002 that he had reversed his decision. He would go lead United to six more Premier League titles and one more Champions League crown before he eventually retired from management in 2013.

Current United owner Malcolm Glazer tried to remove Watkins from the club's board at a 2005 AGM, but he remained in his board and lawyer roles after the attempt.

The Premier League club posted a statement on Twitter, saying: 'All at Manchester United are deeply saddened by the loss of our former Director, Maurice Watkins, who served the club with such distinction for over a quarter of a century. We send our heartfelt condolences to his loved ones at this time.'

Around the time of Watkins' resignation from Manchester United, he took up roles as interim Rugby League Football chairman, Barnsley FC chairman and director of Lancashire County Cricket Club.

He was appointed as British Swimming chairman in December 2012 and oversaw Team GB's Olympic and Paralympic cycles for Rio 2016 and Tokyo 2020.

UK Sport chief executive Sally Munday said in a statement: 'I was so saddened to hear about Maurice. My thoughts are with his family and friends.

'Maurice was so well known in the sporting community and the sheer variety of sports that he was involved in throughout his life goes some way to showing the impact he had on the British sporting landscape.

Watkins' final role was chairman of Briitsh Swimming, while he also was chairman at Barnsley

'As Chair of British Swimming, he must have been immensely proud of the success that Britain's aquatics athletes had in Tokyo in the recent weeks. He will be sorely missed.'

British Swimming CEO Jack Buckner added: 'I have been fortunate to experience Maurice's personal dignity and humility. He has been a leader of deep wisdom and patient intelligence, the wise steward at the heart of the sport.

'Even in his last days, his total focus was on Tokyo and the great events which unfolded there. Maurice, a piece of these medals belong to you.

'Thanks for your massive contribution to British Swimming and everything you have done for British sport.'

Watkins was also known for his charity work, helping the NHS Royal Manchester Children's Hospital Charity for a decade-and-a-half and led the group's campaign to raise £20million for equipment and family accommodation during that time.

He was then appointed a CBE on the Queen's Birthday Honours list in 2011 for his services to charity.

Code:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-9897615/Maurice-Watkins-man-helped-bring-Sir-Alex-Ferguson-Manchester-United-dies-aged-79.html
gak ada tritnya, jadi post disini aja
Old 08-03-2022, 08:34 AM   #229
zudomiriku
Happy New Year 2023

Ex-Manchester United manager Frank O'Farrell - who replaced the legendary Sir Matt Busby as Old Trafford manager in 1971 - dies at the age of 94

* Sir Matt Busby chose Frank O'Farrell to replace him at Manchester United
* In his playing career, O'Farrell spent eight years as a player for West Ham
* In management, he also spent two years at the helm of the Iran national side

Frank O'Farrell, the man who replaced Sir Matt Busby as Manchester United manager, has died at the age of 94.

United confirmed the news on Twitter on Monday, saying: 'We are deeply saddened to learn that our former manager, Frank O'Farrell, has passed away aged 94. Sending thoughts and prayers to his family and friends at this difficult time.'

West Ham, who O'Farrell played for from 1948-56, said in a statement: 'Everyone at West Ham United would like to express their sincere condolences to Frank's family and friends at this sad time.'

Born in Dublin in 1927, O'Farrell joined West Ham from boyhood club Cork United and also played for Preston North End and Weymouth before retiring in 1961 to manage the club. He also won nine caps for the Republic of Ireland between 1952 and 1959.

Frank O'Farrell, the man who replaced Sir Matt Busby as Manchester United manager, has died at the age of 94

In 1965, he took on what would be the first of four stints as Torquay manager before going to Leicester in 1968. He led them to the 1969 FA Cup final, where they were beaten by Manchester City and three weeks later were relegated from Division One.

O'Farrell was selected by Busby to replace him at United in 1971 and he was in charge at Old Trafford for 18 months. He was sacked after a 5-0 defeat by Crystal Palace that left United third from bottom in Division One.

To this day, he is the only Irishman to have managed United.

O'Farrell felt he needed more time to rebuild United, having inherited a side where players such as Sir Bobby Charlton and Denis Law who, O'Farrell said, had their best days behind them.

'The team had reached its peak two seasons before by winning the European Cup,' O'Farrell told the Manchester Evening News in 2011. 'Sir Matt said it would take five years to rebuild because there was quite a bit of work to do.

'Most of the players' best days were behind them. But you cannot replace players like Bobby Charlton and Denis Law quickly. You cannot do things overnight and I took the job on that basis, but got dismissed after 18 months.'

O'Farrell admitted that he felt let down by Busby when United sacked him, having taken the job on the basis he would have five years to rebuild the team.

'I was more disappointed in him than anything else,' he said. 'He wasn't true to his word,' O'Farrell said. 'He hand-picked me. He outlined what needed to be done, which is why I had a five-year contract. I couldn't do it in just 18 months.

'He was around the place and all the players had grown up with him. He was a father figure to them.

O'Farrell was picked by Busby (left) to replace him at the helm of United in 1971

'The alarm bells started ringing when he questioned my decisions. After we lost a home game against Tottenham he started finding fault with Martin Buchan.

'He also said that he wouldn't have dropped Bobby Charlton. If he wouldn't have dropped Charlton, why didn't he stick in the job himself? That to me was interfering and that made the job untenable.'

O'Farrell also had a spell managing Cardiff as well as a two-year stint at the helm of the Iran national team. He won the gold medal with them in the 1974 Asian Games.

'It was with great sadness that the club heard the news that former manager Frank O'Farrell died on 6 March, 2022, aged 94,' said the official Leicester website.

'The thoughts of everyone at Leicester City Football Club are with the family and friends of Frank at this sad time.'

Code:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-10586223/Ex-Manchester-United-manager-Frank-OFarrell-dies-age-94.html
Old 14-06-2022, 02:04 AM   #230
Andi Istiabudi
manager

Beberapa waktu lalu iseng bikin channel YouTube yang khusus membahas United, eeh tidak menyangka kemarin ada dua mantan pemain United yang memberikan dukungan terhadap channel tersebut

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 100
Abe7, adestie, adnantsaqib69, agahckck, alfiandrmwn, alfinwuchyka, alif unyil, ali_iyan, amin, Andi Istiabudi, andrerahmana, andrydjemb4, apri_united25, Ardiey11, arymashuda, Aso Chrisjefta, basdalopez, baya, Blacklist7, bombom, braausasda9593, chincarito, Cpidegso, Deddy Hernandez, dhodoadrian, dudut, ecly_watchaa, endhy_cantona, eyeofday, fajrinited, fastak, fredrian.seven, GeaErang, goodfron, Gothic, h-ANG, hendiplast, HenryRooney07, HRHMU86, iamsetia, irfi_1, iwankayou, jifortin, jojo poenya, Juni HW, kingherooney, King_Cantona, machookeii, Mahesa_Jenar, MCR7, MichaelMU, moehfar, MUFC1878, Nachir_79, nay, oldark, ollacarla, penk22_, Prianto United, Rean, revald, rio vander vidic, Riskur, Rissa14, rizluq, ruffy3rd, RyanRezha, Ryan_lallo, sanji0ne, Sawithea, sepatu_ancur, Septiko Aji, sompretz, SR 7, Syarifeghy, ThianCJP, Trezz Kiko, tumpal_oneunited, Ucup Carrick, UdyMUFC, uicb-dyz, UNITED1878, united7, VaDLi, vankyoet, Vanz Wazza, Van_Munandar, Victory, wahyou91, wira_ozora, word89vkodv, yoogadwi17, zudomiriku